• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Houston-Galveston Radio Ratings: July 2015

Such a shame to see the longtime power stations KRBE and KLOL so low in the ratings. I can understand KRBE going down -- top 40 for adolescents and young adults who prefer to get their entertainment from ipods and streaming phones, not antique radio. Most Hispanics, however, still give radio a chance. Mega 101 much be really lame for their listeners to flock elsewhere...

Such a shame to see the longtime power stations KRBE and KLOL so low in the ratings. I can understand KRBE going down -- top 40 for adolescents and young adults who prefer to get their entertainment from ipods and streaming phones, not antique radio. Most Hispanics, however, still give radio a chance. Mega 101 much be really lame for their listeners to flock elsewhere...

I won't speak on KLOL, as I'll always be biased in my opinion with regards to the station. KRBE isn't setting anything on fire, yet neither is its competitor down the dial, that really hasn't lived up to its name. It's certainly never had a big showing like the days of old around here. CHR or Top 40 always had a big following down here, and remember all the talk about "the new CHR war" that was going to dominate Houston radio when 95-7 dropped the jazz and got Hot? I sure don't feel the fight between Hot and 104, like we used to with the old 93Q/Power 104 wars of yesteryear. I mean, KRBE played barnyard noises several times a day as people called in to talk about 93Q's flip to country, for nearly a week. This war hasn't really fired off more than a couple of muskets. I caught KRBE playing "Lovesong" by The Cure, just this morning. The Cure...on a Contemporary Hit Radio station...in 2015. I mean, come on.

Where's that passion to dominate this market that KRBE has historically possessed? It hasn't lasted some 35 years now on looks alone.
Oh yeah...it got Dickeyed around. Enjoy that 3 share guys, cue up that Exposé gold for the next set.

Something I noticed last month, and it appears to be a repeat this period, but for the first time since I can recollect KLAT has gone AWOL. I've never seen 1010 missing from the beauty pageant before. This is what, the final few weeks of Univision America or does some of this reflect on the new Amor Celestial format? I've a hard time believing 1010 will have any success with it, given the crowded room they have found themselves within.

I won't speak on KLOL, as I'll always be biased in my opinion with regards to the station. KRBE isn't setting anything on fire, yet neither is its competitor down the dial, that really hasn't lived up to its name. It's certainly never had a big showing like the days of old around here. CHR or Top 40 always had a big following down here, and remember all the talk about "the new CHR war" that was going to dominate Houston radio when 95-7 dropped the jazz and got Hot? I sure don't feel the fight between Hot and 104, like we used to with the old 93Q/Power 104 wars of yesteryear. I mean, KRBE played barnyard noises several times a day as people called in to talk about 93Q's flip to country, for nearly a week. This war hasn't really fired off more than a couple of muskets. I caught KRBE playing "Lovesong" by The Cure, just this morning. The Cure...on a Contemporary Hit Radio station...in 2015. I mean, come on.

Where's that passion to dominate this market that KRBE has historically possessed? It hasn't lasted some 35 years now on looks alone.
Oh yeah...it got Dickeyed around. Enjoy that 3 share guys, cue up that Exposé gold for the next set.

Something I noticed last month, and it appears to be a repeat this period, but for the first time since I can recollect KLAT has gone AWOL. I've never seen 1010 missing from the beauty pageant before. This is what, the final few weeks of Univision America or does some of this reflect on the new Amor Celestial format? I've a hard time believing 1010 will have any success with it, given the crowded room they have found themselves within.

No, radio is not what it used to be. But then again, if these radio boards had been around in the 80s, we might have seen posts from people who said the KRBE/KKBQ battle was nothing compared to the good ol' days of KILT-AM vs. KNUZ. The playing field and rules have changed, but that doesn't mean there are people on both sides fighting their battles with any less passion. If anything, they are fighting harder to overcome many of the challenges lamented in this forum.

The reason you heard The Cure this morning on KRBE is because Roula & Ryan have a "Retro Rewind" every Monday morning at 9a. They also played Crush and Lasgo in this morning's four song set. The oldest song KRBE plays in regular rotation dates back to 2002.

KLAT failed to register last month, and that was the first month since November 2012 that it failed to do so.

Since many like to make generalized assumptions based up 6+ numbers, here are some specifics showing ranks in the biggest demos:

ADULTS 25-54
1. KODA
2. KLTN
3. KKBQ
4. KTBZ
5. KMJQ
5. KGLK/KHPT
7. KILT-FM
8. KBXX
9. KLOL
10. KSBJ

ADULTS 18-34
1. KBXX
2. KODA
3. KKBQ
4. KLTN
5. KQBT
5. KTBZ
7. KLOL
8. KILT-FM
9. KKHH
10. KRBE

Most Hispanics, however, still give radio a chance. Mega 101 much be really lame for their listeners to flock elsewhere...

KLOL is tied for 8th in the Houston market in its target of 18-49. It has been trending upwards in each of the last two books.

It's also the second highest rated Spanish language station in the market.

No, radio is not what it used to be. But then again, if these radio boards had been around in the 80s, we might have seen posts from people who said the KRBE/KKBQ battle was nothing compared to the good ol' days of KILT-AM vs. KNUZ. The playing field and rules have changed, but that doesn't mean there are people on both sides fighting their battles with any less passion. If anything, they are fighting harder to overcome many of the challenges lamented in this forum.

The reason you heard The Cure this morning on KRBE is because Roula & Ryan have a "Retro Rewind" every Monday morning at 9a. They also played Crush and Lasgo in this morning's four song set. The oldest song KRBE plays in regular rotation dates back to 2002.

KLAT failed to register last month, and that was the first month since November 2012 that it failed to do so.

Since many like to make generalized assumptions based up 6+ numbers, here are some specifics showing ranks in the biggest demos:

ADULTS 25-54
1. KODA
2. KLTN
3. KKBQ
4. KTBZ
5. KMJQ
5. KGLK/KHPT
7. KILT-FM
8. KBXX
9. KLOL
10. KSBJ

ADULTS 18-34
1. KBXX
2. KODA
3. KKBQ
4. KLTN
5. KQBT
5. KTBZ
7. KLOL
8. KILT-FM
9. KKHH
10. KRBE

Well - there is a headache for KSBJ - they don't show up in the top 10 for 18-34.

More importantly, KGLK / KHPT also doesn't show up in the 18-34.

Good ol' days, huh? I remember those. Let's see, it went something like this: KILT "Eddie Money, right after this, on K-I-L-TTTT." Commercial break, change the unit's band, drop to 93-7, and let's see what's on KRLY: "Y-94 will return, right after these short message." Oh, ok fine, back to the AM band let's try K-NUZ...dial it up 1-2-3. Wait, what the hell is Country Fresh???"

Ok, I'm just being foolish, but I do see your point. I certainly didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of those that are in the studios, or even in the building on Westheimer trying to make the magic happen, but when you are playing a song like I mentioned previously, it says a lot about the direction the station has taken. Btw, they may play a Retro Rewind at 9am, but I'm already well into my work day by that point and wouldn't hear it. I heard The Cure's Lovesong at 6:45am while sitting in the parking lot drinking my coffee. I, too, wonder what these boards would've looked like back in the regulated days. Heck, we probably wouldn't have these boards at all, other than posting about how I can hear your station in Indiana way down here in Texas and such.

Now, the numbers you posted, show KRBE in 10th place with adults 18-34. Behind KODA, 102-9, Majic, The Buzz, The Eagle, etc. In adults aged 25-54, KRBE....doesn't even show? It doesn't even show?!? Isn't this who KRBE is supposed to be targeting?

I may be making a generalized assumption based on worthless 6+ numbers, but you reinforced what I stated by posting your "more meaningful" set. Whether you view the public #s or those only released to the privileged, KRBE is still bobbing its head in the toilet. Being a standalone hurts it, being owned by the Dickeys is killing it. Que sera, sera.

While classic rock is growing in popularity 18-34 across the nation, the core audience nationwide remains 35+.

When you are building a coalition between generations, they won't always be evenly balanced.

Good ol' days, huh? I remember those. Let's see, it went something like this: KILT "Eddie Money, right after this, on K-I-L-TTTT." Commercial break, change the unit's band, drop to 93-7, and let's see what's on KRLY: "Y-94 will return, right after these short message." Oh, ok fine, back to the AM band let's try K-NUZ...dial it up 1-2-3. Wait, what the hell is Country Fresh???"

Ok, I'm just being foolish, but I do see your point. I certainly didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of those that are in the studios, or even in the building on Westheimer trying to make the magic happen, but when you are playing a song like I mentioned previously, it says a lot about the direction the station has taken. Btw, they may play a Retro Rewind at 9am, but I'm already well into my work day by that point and wouldn't hear it. I heard The Cure's Lovesong at 6:45am while sitting in the parking lot drinking my coffee. I, too, wonder what these boards would've looked like back in the regulated days. Heck, we probably wouldn't have these boards at all, other than posting about how I can hear your station in Indiana way down here in Texas and such.

Now, the numbers you posted, show KRBE in 10th place with adults 18-34. Behind KODA, 102-9, Majic, The Buzz, The Eagle, etc. In adults aged 25-54, KRBE....doesn't even show? It doesn't even show?!? Isn't this who KRBE is supposed to be targeting?

I may be making a generalized assumption based on worthless 6+ numbers, but you reinforced what I stated by posting your "more meaningful" set. Whether you view the public #s or those only released to the privileged, KRBE is still bobbing its head in the toilet. Being a standalone hurts it, being owned by the Dickeys is killing it. Que sera, sera.

Don't forget counting how many times Cap'n Jack says ariiba while counting down the top 9 at 9, or answering your landline without caller ID "KILT is gonna make me rich." How many times did your fingers spin the rotary dial phone dialing the old KILT request line 524-2911?

Last edited:
Well - there is a headache for KSBJ - they don't show up in the top 10 for 18-34.

KSBJ traditionally is not "Top 10" in 18-34. Their strength, and where they are solidly Top 10, is 35-44 and 35-54.

KGLK is usually (looking at a multi-month average) around 4th in 35-54 and 3rd in 35-64. Their target actually excludes 18-34, although they average between 10th and 12th there.

Those 18-34 numbers are unusual. An AC station, KODA, is #2? Meanwhile the two Top 40 stations, KKHH and KRBE, are ranked #9 and #10?

And while Christian Contemporary KSBJ cares about the ratings, as a non-commercial, listener-supported station, it's donations that drive what they do.

Actually, stations like KSBJ care a great deal about ratings. Much of a station's funding comes from underwriting and grants that are just like the commercial stations in that higher ratings means better Underwriting rates and more Underwriting. Sure pledge drives seem to indicate huge dollar amounts but there is a percentage of 'buyer remorse' on donations. The percentage actually collected can be much less depending on the station. Even monthly givers can fall off as financial situations change. You can not turn a donor over to a collection agency, so you hope the incentive can get the dollars in. KSBJ does plenty of research and targeting to attain the desired audience and numbers to sustain and grow. It's big business and is that way at most public supported stations without another organization footing the bills. Many colleges even demand their stations pay for themselves and then some.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom