• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can we compare the CHR's in Miami?

AMRocks

Star Participant
I've been listening a lot recently to the three CHRs in Miami. What I've noticed; they are all nearly exactly the same musically, especially Hits 97.3 and Power 96. (They both do some "mix" shows during the day including 5AM, Noon and 5PM.) Other than that, they all seem to be pretty much mainstream CHR today. (Power, shifting from more Rhythmic closer to mainstream.) You could say that Y, although more syndicated than the others, is more personality oriented with Elvis and (love him or hate him, but he has a following) Ryan Seacrest.

It's not uncommon to punch between the stations and hear the exact same song playing on at least two of the stations. Several times, I heard the same song playing on all 3! That was a perfect time to really listen to the technical differences of the stations. While I have been a fan of Y100 for years, I have to admit that the processing on Y was really flat compared to the other two. Both Hits and Power sounded nearly the same as far as quality goes.

Something else I've noticed. Both Y and Hits promote their morning shows - Elvis Duran and DJ Laz. They run promos throughout the day. But I never hear Power promoting mornings. I've never actually listened in the morning to Power, either. Are they more music intense than the other two? I tend to listen to Elvis mostly. I've never been a Laz fan on any of the stations where he appeared.

Finally, do you think three CHR's will last in Miami? Think they will all get enough ratings/make enough money for iHeart, Cox and CBS to keep them alive? If not, who do you think will blink first? Y and Power are heritage stations -- been around a LONG time. Hits is new and Cox tends to be faster to make format changes, at least here in South Florida, but they seem to be committed to this format.

I just have to point out, too, that they are all within a few tenths of points in the 6+ ratings: June of 2015 WHYI had a 4.5, WFLC had a 4.4 and WPOW had a 4.2. It actually could be a very exciting battle if they would start to poke at each other like Top 40 stations did years ago.

I've noticed the same thing. Power, Y-100, My939, and HITS are virtually the same radio station. Sometimes I forget which one I'm listening to until one of their on-air personalities mentions the name.

I wish Power could go back to being the station it was in the early to mid 90s, but I know that's never going to happen. Freestyle music is all but dead. Everything has become so corporate nowadays that I can't bear to tune in anymore.

Power was as close to perfect in the 90s as any station could hope to be. Their mixers and jocks were top-notch. I could listen to that station all day and never get bored.

There's no question that radio -- not to mention the music industry itself -- has changed immensely.

I've noticed something very recently happening in the CHR war here in South Florida. Power has been adding some Spanish tunes. I assume they are Pop Spanish-speaking artists. But I've heard it lately and it's definitely something new (or at least "recent.")

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom