• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Musicradio 1300

I going to go for it with a Hammarlund SP-600JX - probably the most sensitive AM radio ever made. With an 8 foot loop to throw a null at Austin. I don't know when I will get the setup going, but we will see if 1300 comes in far West Houston.

The Hammarlund manufactured run of the R390A was much more sensitive and had better selectivity.

The Hammarlund manufactured run of the R390A was much more sensitive and had better selectivity.

Don't know about the R390A - never have heard one. It is hard to beat two tuned RF stages on AM, though, and the Hammarlund has those crystal controlled IF bandwidths to far narrower than any sort of practical AM listening. The narrowest I have ever used is the 1.2 kHz, and even speech on that setting sounds muffled. The narrowest setting is 300 Hz - pretty much useless for anything but code on the SW bands. Now THAT is selectivity!

Don't know about the R390A - never have heard one. It is hard to beat two tuned RF stages on AM, though, and the Hammarlund has those crystal controlled IF bandwidths to far narrower than any sort of practical AM listening. The narrowest I have ever used is the 1.2 kHz, and even speech on that setting sounds muffled. The narrowest setting is 300 Hz - pretty much useless for anything but code on the SW bands. Now THAT is selectivity!

I used a number of SP 600's and they fell way behind the R390A. Originally built by Collins, it had an array of Collins mechanical filters and a read-out precise to 1 kHz. Most were produced for military purposes, and were obtained by DXers via surplus sales. However, the contract during the late 60's went to Hammarlund and they were allowed to sell a small over-production when the contract ended. The military paid about $3,000 per unit then, and I got one for just over $1000 in 1970.

The SP 600 was a popular radio for radio stations and newspapers to receive the RTTY transmissions of news agencies when shortwave was the only practical delivery method. I had one doing that at my Ecos de la Montaña - 660 AM in Quito. That was among the primary sales targets of the receiver, and thus the narrow bandwidth options. However, the crystal filters had nowhere near the shape of good mechanical filters.

They were probably the most sought after AM DX receiver through the 70's and 80's until some of the receivers like the Drake R4 came along. It was rack mount only and weighed in at over 60 lbs.

Last edited:
Just noticed that KLLS's license expired on August 10, 2017. A renewal was accepted for filing on August 17, 2017.
Hopefully this goes through, and KLLS wasn't hit too hard by the raining!

The renewal app was filed on the 9th.... payment went thru on the 16th...damn EEOC filing was the PITA...am exempt but you have to file it anyway to say you are exempt....damn burecrats!! LoL

The renewal app was filed on the 9th.... payment went thru on the 16th...damn EEOC filing was the PITA...am exempt but you have to file it anyway to say you are exempt....damn burecrats!! LoL

And what about the translator you said you were gonna get for KLLS?

I don't think the translator situation worked out for KLLS.

BTW the Internet stream is down, I went to TuneIn but couldn't get KLLS to play.

I don't think the translator situation worked out for KLLS.

BTW the Internet stream is down, I went to TuneIn but couldn't get KLLS to play.

I was wondering how KLLS would do with all this rain and flooding, hoping for the best and that the net is just out.

It's on over the air, but I can't vouch for Spectrum cable's operation in lumberton.

Is it still playing classic hits? And how's the quality and sound?

Filed short form 359 after midnight today for a FM translator..should be good...yep, Musicradio Double-L S is going FM stereo if all goes well..

Filed short form 359 after midnight today for a FM translator..should be good...yep, Musicradio Double-L S is going FM stereo if all goes well..

iHeart Radio is asking its Sunny 99.1 listeners in the Golden Triangle to complain about the KLLS translator using this complaint form. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us Since KLLS proposes to operate on 99.1, there obviously will be interference. This reminds me of the big controversy a couple years ago when someone in Beaumont proposed to put a translator on the same frequency as Country Legends 97.5. That didn't go over very well.

Looks like there are already complaints. http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...=BNPFT&App_Arn=20180131AAF&Facility_id=203035

Well this sucks i think chris has the good idea to create a good local format but with so much opposition he will have a hard time. I wonder if beaumont being so far would they even consider houston as a issue.

iHeart Radio is asking its Sunny 99.1 listeners in the Golden Triangle to complain about the KLLS translator using this complaint form. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us Since KLLS proposes to operate on 99.1, there obviously will be interference. This reminds me of the big controversy a couple years ago when someone in Beaumont proposed to put a translator on the same frequency as Country Legends 97.5. That didn't go over very well.

Looks like there are already complaints. http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...=BNPFT&App_Arn=20180131AAF&Facility_id=203035

The 97.1 translator was allowed...the 60dbu contours didn't touch...my proposed signal will not touch KODAs contour either...and there was a 99.1 licensed to Beaumont two years ago..it moved to Winnie on 98.9 and then to Crosby area so precedent has been set...and tell Barney Joe he has stepped in the wrong way and I'm coming after him with both barrels..and I know the Chief at iHeart Houston...Bob has said nothing to me about any filings..
And the one complaint is full of lies and BS...all this from an unlicensed pirate operator...he's about to be taught a lesson...his text to me threatening me will prove his undoing

And KODA is a Houston station, not a Beaumont signal...I will be providing local programming to the local area..that takes precedence over a FM 100+ miles away with little or no signal in the BMT area....

Revenge is not your best option. Let karma take care of Joe. wonder if he is still hanging around here. I havent been to beaumont in a while now nut i remember 99.1 having a decent signal . Can you move to another frequency?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom