• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mexico FM Table of Allotment?

Does anyone know where to find the Mexican Table of Allotments for FM?

The most recent I can find in Google is from 1995 or 2003 and is missing a lot of stations.

Thank you

Does anyone know where to find the Mexican Table of Allotments for FM?

The most recent I can find in Google is from 1995 or 2003 and is missing a lot of stations.

Thank you

Do you mean a list of Mexican FM stations? Or do you mean a listing of the available assignments for each market such as the FCC "Table of Assignments" in the US?

For a list of FMs, look at http://www.ift.org.mx/industria/infraestructura and pick either the "download" (descargar) or "read online" (ver) from the options. It's in Spanish, as one would expect Mexican government documents to be.

That's perfect thank you DE. I had a feeling you would know right away.

YW

BTW, the listing marked ""ver" is actually a PDF download while the other is a Word document.

Note that Mexico is down to 402 AM stations, from a high of about 870

Yeah that was one of the things I was looking at. In a few markets there are no longer any AM stations or just 1 or 2. For a kid growing up in those city they will probably never hear an AM station in their life or if they do it will fleeting. Almost like what has become of shortwave.

Missing stations? That's what the massive AM-FM migration will do to you.

Keep the page bookmark and check the URLs on it from time to time, as they do update the lists, and rather erratically. (The last update was April 28; it takes anywhere from one to five months to get an update to the tables, from experience.)

Note that the owner names on the tables are concessionaire/permittee names, and like in the US there are all sorts of subsidiaries and alternate names for these.

Missing stations? That's what the massive AM-FM migration will do to you.

Keep the page bookmark and check the URLs on it from time to time, as they do update the lists, and rather erratically. (The last update was April 28; it takes anywhere from one to five months to get an update to the tables, from experience.)

Note that the owner names on the tables are concessionaire/permittee names, and like in the US there are all sorts of subsidiaries and alternate names for these.

And in general, a concesionario is a commercial broadcaster, while government and related non-profit stations such as university stations are permisionarios. Mexico makes a distinction, and does not call all of them, collectively, licensees.

Yeah that was one of the things I was looking at. In a few markets there are no longer any AM stations or just 1 or 2. For a kid growing up in those city they will probably never hear an AM station in their life or if they do it will fleeting. Almost like what has become of shortwave.

Originally, the legislation and reglementation of the migration to FM had all AM stations that got FM permits or concessions would close the AM soon after moving. However, some stations and organizations argued that the AM was still needed in some places, due to terrain or coverage issues. The IFT changed the regulations so that some AMs could justify keeping the AM on the air, but only if it simulcast the FM; it could not be separately programmed nor could it be sold separately from the new FM.

At one point, it appeared that less than 200 AMs would be left, mostly in the 3 or 4 largest cities and along the US border. Now, it seems the number will end up in the low 300's.

And in general, a concesionario is a commercial broadcaster, while government and related non-profit stations such as university stations are permisionarios. Mexico makes a distinction, and does not call all of them, collectively, licensees.

Of course, soon there won't be any permits left because the telecom reform reclassifies permits as various new types of concessions (the most important in broadcasting are social — for private universities and civil associations — and public — for public universities, federal, state and local governments and their dependencies).

And I've noticed that many smaller stations have 50,000 watts during the day, but they must power down at night. I wonder if this is to protect American AM radio stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom