• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ross Brittain, Jim Loftus

D

decades40

Ross Brittain and Jim Loftus will be leaving WOGL, did they have the same fate happen to them as Bob Charger and shown the door, or did they just vamoose on their own to pursue better opportunities. Nobodys talking.

Shocked that the people that are making WOGL one of the most successful stations in town, are leaving.

If CBS was trying to sell Philly stations, why would it have traded with Beasley to get WXTU?

No, I'm pretty sure that Philly is one of the markets where CBS wants to stay, and use radio to drive people to their TV and internet properties. That's been their strategy, and I see no reason why they'll change. These are normal cuts that all radio companies are making, and I expect they'll continue to own these stations as long as they're profitable.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/homepage/20150730_Shake-up_continues_at_WOGL-FM.html CBS is trying to sell all of the radio stations in town, according to the article. That's why they been making these cuts, letting people go, canceling a popular show on WPHT 1210 for infomercials, etc.

The article is citing "speculation," which is pretty much meaningless as a reliable source. Perhaps they cut the "popular" show, whatever it was, to cut costs and not sell anything.

I liked Ross Brittian a lot. I hope he retired on his own and was not forced to retire. I was thinking he could rejoin Scott Shannon on New York's WCBS 101 as a reunion from their Z100 days in the 80s. There will come a time Harvey Holiday and the Tommy McCarthy(Music Director of WOGL since Nov 1987) will also retire. Does anyone know who is going to replace Ross?

Last edited:
Maybe in an effort to save money they'll syndicate Scott Shannon and get rid of the entire local morning show.

Maybe in an effort to save money they'll syndicate Scott Shannon and get rid of the entire local morning show.

I'd be very surprised...that's not the way CBS works. They are, however, syndicating a 4 hour Scott Shannon wknd show that WOGL already carries.

Are the three remaining Breakfast Club hosts just doing the show themselves, without a "ring master"?

I can't help but wonder if this was really only about a salary, or whether it is a sign of larger changes to come at 'OGL. On the one hand, it's No.1 12+. As has been pointed out on these boards many times though, that doesn't necessarily translate into No. 1 in revenue. Reports say OGL does well in revenue ... but what if suits at CBS corporate decided that it can do better? Might this point to OGL finally joining its CBS classic hits siblings with yet another reduction in 60s tunes (down to only one or sometimes none per hour), more 80s and dipping a bit into the early 90s?

Are the three remaining Breakfast Club hosts just doing the show themselves, without a "ring master"?

I can't help but wonder if this was really only about a salary, or whether it is a sign of larger changes to come at 'OGL. On the one hand, it's No.1 12+. As has been pointed out on these boards many times though, that doesn't necessarily translate into No. 1 in revenue. Reports say OGL does well in revenue ... but what if suits at CBS corporate decided that it can do better? Might this point to OGL finally joining its CBS classic hits siblings with yet another reduction in 60s tunes (down to only one or sometimes none per hour), more 80s and dipping a bit into the early 90s?

The positioning has already started. Their tagline "Greatest Hits of the 60's, 70's and 80's" has been replaced by "Philadelphia's Greatest Hits".

As long as Tommy is at the helm and Harvey is with the facility, Soul, R&B and Motown will never, ever, be replaced with the style all CBS Greatest Hits stations have now.

Why do you say that? If CBS says you need to attract a younger audience, then they will have to adjust their playlist. They have good 12+ numbers, but its all about all important 25-54 audience. To me the station has been stale for years. I think they need to inject newer music into their playlist. WCBS 101 New York are adding newer 80s and 90s songs weekly...but are still playing at least 1 60s song. I would love to hear more 80s and early 90s on this station.

They are still playing exactly the same music. The station has not changed their playlist since January. I don't know if they ever will lol. I think its just branding with the name.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom