• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankberry

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone upgraded their PC's to Windows 10?
I have upgraded three computers at home with no problems.

I've reserved a download for my laptop a home but haven't see anything pop up that it's available yet. I've read where it is being released in phases so everyone won't get the notice immediately. At work it isn't being made available yet, although I've been told that people with laptops may be getting it.

You need to request the upgrade. Click on the little white flag on the lower right corner of your screen to begin the process. It won't happen unless you request it.

My interest in Windows 10 was damaged by my bad experience with Windows 8. The problem with 8, in my opinion, is that MS was attempting to make computers more like phones, with apps and social networking. The problem is, I need my computer to be a computer, not a phone. I understand the difference, and I prefer the OS to be less intrusive and just operate the computer, rather than tell me what to do and how to do it. Saying that, I haven't even tried Windows 10, because I'm assuming MS is still locked in the Windows 8 mindset. So for those of you who have tried 10, tell me if it's more like Windows 7 or more like 8.

I find it to be more like 7. I just say "no" to allowing Microsoft to handle my email or my browser. I don't want to use XBOX or anything else that they offer. I just ignore things that I do not want or need.

BTW I notice the little white flag has disappeared...probably because I didn't reserve Windows 10 before yesterday. Oh well...

I did request it a few weeks back but it still hasn't come down yet. But I've been working so much lately that I haven't been able to download it anyway, and definitely want to back up my files, music, and pictures before I upgrade.

Click on the white flag. It's probably on your computer and waiting for you to give the instructions to install.
All of your software and files should transfer to the new OS. Of course, backing up the files is always a good idea.

I don't intend to install Win10. I like Win7 just fine and don't want to lose WMC which is not available in 10. I use it a lot to watch TV while working on the PC. I also learned many years ago not to buy a new model car the first year of its production and the same goes for software from any company but especially MS.

I've read extensive reviews of Win10 and I can't find anything in that release that warrants my taking the time to install it. Seems like MS is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

If I am not too old and creaky by 2020 when Win7 support ends I will just migrate to a version of Linux. I have plenty of time to practice.

Media Player is included in Windows 10. It hasn't played DVD's since Windows 8. It will play other audio/video formats.
I use the VLC media player for DVD playback.

Media Player is included in Windows 10. It hasn't played DVD's since Windows 8. It will play other audio/video formats.
I use the VLC media player for DVD playback.

MS has a way of using confusing names (Explorer and Internet Explorer & Media Player and Windows Media Center to name a few). Media Player is still available in Win10 but Windows Media Center is not. It was discontinued in Win8. It does several things that Media Player does not do - stream OTA TV being the main use for me. With WMC you can have a TV window up (playing either OTA TV, DVD or streaming video) and other windows concurrently. It also can work as a personal video recorder (PVR). AFAIK VideoLAN (VLC) will not do that. There is another product out there that will function like WMC but it is very difficult to set up and is still very buggy.

In that I learned to count many years ago, what happened to Windows 9?

From what I read, some software detects Windows versions with the first character of the version -- "2" for Windows 2000, "X" for XP, "V" for Vista, "7" for Win7, and "8" for Win8.x.

In the case of "9," that means that the software would think that it's running Windows 95 or 98. Since those are old 16-bit DOS-based versions of Windows, the software wouldn't run. It's not a Microsoft problem per se, but they have to work around it. What they'll do when it's time for Windows 11 thru 19 is anybody's guess if this is the case.

Do they still use WINVER to set the version number reported to the software?

You know, I remember being in seventh grade sitting in front of a Win 95 box whose UI looked a little "off", so I brought up WINVER and it reported something like "Windows for Workgroups 3.11 386 Enhanced Mode". Turned out they were running Win 3.11 with the Calmira desktop, and that was supposed to be a transitional thing until they got their Win98 fleet in place.

Which, of course, didn't happen until my senior term in high school (2001-2002), by which point there was a mixture of 3.11Cal/98/XP boxes in place at both campi, in addition to their beyond-obsolete 68K Mac and Apple IIE collections. They didn't finally standardise on XP until a couple years after I graduated. It was a mess.

Last edited:
Yes you can upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 for free. If you have Vista or earlier you have to buy it. In that case you might want to upgrade to Windows 7 and then be able to get Windows 10 free (Assuming your PC can handle it.)

I have two touchscreen laptops and have no issues with 8.1. Much faster than XP. I haven't requested the update yet. I'll wait to see if there are major issues. I've heard MS has already issued patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom