• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably your anti-virus software. I have Windows 10 and Firefox. I have no problem going to the FCC site.

My computer at home is misbehaving so much I may end up with a new one sooner than I had planned, and I guess that means Windows 10 and, worse, Microsoft Edge. Whether Internet Explorer is as bad as they say, at least I know it. Now I have used Chrome a lot at some libraries, but it has its drawbacks.

Anyway, I will comment if that's how things turn out, and hopefully my comments will be helpful to others.

I finally bought that new computer (HP 251-a126) yesterday for just $267 on sale, and it says Windows 10 Home on the box. To know what that will be like the computer has to work. But trying to use my existing monitor didn't work because I can't unplug it from the old machine, and I'll have to make another shopping trip to correct that. Today, I'm on my old computer which has been more well-behaved this week.

Last edited:
I bought the cable to connect to my new computer yesterday. I brought the computer so it could be connected, since I messed up the last time I tried to do that. I didn't bring the monitor but I felt confident after trying what I thought I needed to do and succeeding on Sunday.

So here is what I experienced. I don't know how much of this is unique to Windows 10 or how informative this will be to others reading his, but it's what happened to me.

It took a while for anything to happen, naturally. I kept seeing the HP logo. I've forgotten exactly what happened even and a half years ago. I was finally asked to select my location and time zone, and the default time zone was Pacific. it took a while to figure out how to find Eastern. Then it checked for critical updates. "This may take a while." So I went to the library where I knew everything would work and work quickly. When I got home it was asking me to make the computer my own and tell it my name and my password. At some point it told me to read and accept the terms, and I figured I'd better do that in case I had a problem in the future and they expected me to know this stuff. Then it went to work setting up my apps, and then told me it had some other stuff to do. "This won't take long." I'm sorry to say that unlike the nearby two-year college where I have used Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge, this only involves changing from one shade of blue to another, rather than going through the entire rainbow. Naturally, I don't know what will happen when I turn the computer on the next time.

I went to Microsoft Edge and it sent me to Bing. The old computer did Yahoo, which was a perfectly adequate search engine at the time I got the computer. I never use search engines at home, though. I only go to sites I've learned to trust at home. I went to Yahoo email where I had the old computer's page to go to when I first went to the Internet. I clicked where I thought I could go to settings, and I was right, and I told the computer to go to my phone company's email first thing when I turned it on. I have yet to see a button that tells me to save my changes. I also haven't seen how to change from tabs to windows since I am used to having everything at the bottom of the screen, not the top.

It was slow going to every site when I first tried, but as I have gone to each site repeatedly, it has gotten faster. That's my slow Internet. For the most part, the old computer would go to each site as fast as library computers once I had gone to the site. This one may do the same. At this point, I don't know that a whole lot is different on Windows 10 except things look a little different. This site looks pretty much the same and everything was almost as fast to begin with.

One big pain is that I have to sign in to each and every site, while I stayed signed in to most everything on the old computer.

One big pain is that I have to sign in to each and every site, while I stayed signed in to most everything on the old computer.

I have no experience with Win10 or library computers but two things stand out in your message:

Site data in Windows, regardless of version, are kept in "cookies" which are located on your computer. When going to a site using cookies, which most do, the site will look for its cookie on your machine. Your userid and password are stored there. If it finds your cookie it uses that data to log in. If it cannot find your cookie, or it is the first time you have logged in it will ask for that information then store it. You can turn off cookies altogether or by site but if you are using your own computer I would advise against it - because you will be asked for your login information every time you access that site. If you are using a library computer it should not be saving cookies since it has more than one user. You can find instructions for turning cookies on and off by using Google "Windows 10 cookies".

The second observation concerns the monitor. Modern monitors connect to PC's either via HDMI or DVI/VGA cables. HDMI cables are the same ones you would use to connect your DVD player to your modern TV set. DVI/VGA cables have a much larger connector and as many as 25 pins inside. You can find photos of each type easily. If both your monitor and PC have HDMI ports it would be best to use those.

P.S. Your browser probably has a default search engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.) but you can use any of them you wish. You can also set your desired search engine to be the default.

Last edited:

I have no experience with Win10 or library computers but two things stand out in your message:

Site data in Windows, regardless of version, are kept in "cookies" which are located on your computer. When going to a site using cookies, which most do, the site will look for its cookie on your machine. Your userid and password are stored there. If it finds your cookie it uses that data to log in. If it cannot find your cookie, or it is the first time you have logged in it will ask for that information then store it. You can turn off cookies altogether or by site but if you are using your own computer I would advise against it - because you will be asked for your login information every time you access that site. If you are using a library computer it should not be saving cookies since it has more than one user. You can find instructions for turning cookies on and off by using Google "Windows 10 cookies".

The second observation concerns the monitor. Modern monitors connect to PC's either via HDMI or DVI/VGA cables. HDMI cables are the same ones you would use to connect your DVD player to your modern TV set. DVI/VGA cables have a much larger connector and as many as 25 pins inside. You can find photos of each type easily. If both your monitor and PC have HDMI ports it would be best to use those.

P.S. Your browser probably has a default search engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.) but you can use any of them you wish. You can also set your desired search engine to be the default.
Now that I have signed in for the first time, I won't have to sign in any more until I have to, whatever that means. But not having been anywhere on this computer, I was obviously not signed in. My phone company's email doesn't seem to have a setting for this which is a pain. And I still don't know whether I will go there automatically when I first go to the Internet the next time I turn on the computer.

I didn't specify what connection I wanted, but the girl at the store looked at the computer and knew how to hook it up. I have two possible connections to my monitor, so I guess that's what that's all about. I also have two possible connections to my computer, but she chose the one that worked for what she sold me. I was only told about 6-foot and 10-foot. The computer is less than a foot from the right side of the monitor and the connection is maybe a foot below, so the choice in that case was pretty obvious.

Like I said, I won't use a search engine at home. If I don't have the right one at the library, I can ask them how to change it.

Site data in Windows, regardless of version, are kept in "cookies" which are located on your computer. When going to a site using cookies, which most do, the site will look for its cookie on your machine. Your userid and password are stored there. If it finds your cookie it uses that data to log in. If it cannot find your cookie, or it is the first time you have logged in it will ask for that information then store it.

Something I have noticed of late is that, even though I do not allow my user ID and password for financial-related websites (credit union, bank, credit cards, investment brokerage) to be saved in cookies, some are now saving a basic cookie which is referred to on subsequent logins as recognition of the computer itself. If I -- or more importantly, someone else -- were to attempt a login from a different computer, the site cannot find its "recognition cookie" and goes to the security questions, even if I got the user ID and password right. (This seems like a good idea to me, since the odds of someone other than me logging in from this machine are low and this move prevents logins from other machines without knowing the correct answers.)

The only "problem" with this, albeit a small one, is that whenever I decide to optimize my system during a defrag, inevitably some of those cookies get deleted and I am confronted with those questions even though I am at the "right" machine. That is the only reason that I haven't yet implemented my great idea for even greater security at those sites ... but I will share the idea with all of you because it might be useful.

When setting up the security questions, most sites let you choose one from a drop-down box, so usually you can see all three questions before you start answering. My great idea is to scramble the answers. For example, if one of the questions is "favorite teacher in high school" always answer that -- at all sites, so you'll remember -- with your mother's maiden name. If the maiden name is the question, use the street you grew up on as the answer. You'll still have answers you remember (unless you forget which answer got reassigned to which question), and even if someone found out all the correct information about you, it wouldn't match up with the questions.

Anyway, for what it's worth ... :cool:

When setting up the security questions, most sites let you choose one from a drop-down box, so usually you can see all three questions before you start answering. My great idea is to scramble the answers. For example, if one of the questions is "favorite teacher in high school" always answer that -- at all sites, so you'll remember -- with your mother's maiden name. If the maiden name is the question, use the street you grew up on as the answer. You'll still have answers you remember (unless you forget which answer got reassigned to which question), and even if someone found out all the correct information about you, it wouldn't match up with the questions.

I have used that in the past, inadvertently, and it does work well.

Something I have noticed of late is that, even though I do not allow my user ID and password for financial-related websites (credit union, bank, credit cards, investment brokerage) to be saved in cookies, some are now saving a basic cookie which is referred to on subsequent logins as recognition of the computer itself. If I -- or more importantly, someone else -- were to attempt a login from a different computer, the site cannot find its "recognition cookie" and goes to the security questions, even if I got the user ID and password right. (This seems like a good idea to me, since the odds of someone other than me logging in from this machine are low and this move prevents logins from other machines without knowing the correct answers.)

Also increasingly sites will give you an email, text message, or phone call if there is a login from an unrecognized machine. I set that up for my primary bank a couple hours ago after they added the feature earlier this month.

Also, with respect to scrambling the security questions: Yes, or you can enter nonsense. Probably best if it is pronounceable in case you need to interact with a CSR on the phone, but they won't know that your first date wasn't "Christian Laettner" and your first car wasn't "National Weather Service". Ok, well, they might suspect.

Last edited:
Also, with respect to scrambling the security questions: Yes, or you can enter nonsense. Probably best if it is pronounceable in case you need to interact with a CSR on the phone, but they won't know that your first date wasn't "Christian Laettner" and your first car wasn't "National Weather Service". Ok, well, they might suspect.

They aren't supposed to care about anything except your knowing the correct answer. If they "suspect" they might ask a second question from the set, but that's about it.

I did run into a minor difficulty once with -- of all places -- the U.S. Postal Service, when they told me my security question at the time was "name of your pet". Well, I keep budgies (parakeets) as pets and it could have been any of about a dozen names. The rep had to tell me what year I set up the account before I could give her three "possible" answers. Luckily, having explained the situation, the fact that one of the three was correct was good enough. I guess you wouldn't expect an identity thief to have the name of every pet someone's owned.

I NEVER answer those security questions with "correct" answers, rather I'm not giving some company my Mother's maiden name. It's none of their damn business and in the light of website hacks that's not the sort of info I want to fall into the wrong hands, so for MY own security I do not answer any of those security questions truthfully. Rather, I have a stock of nonsense answers that I use for those questions. There's no reason for some company to challenge that my first pet's name was "BananaFace42", all that matters is my answers match what they have on record. My security question answers are more or less pass phrases with capital letters in unconVentional locations and I use numbers and punctuations if allowed.

If someone is able to crack them then my security was forever doomed from the start and I have to applaud the nefarious bad guy that cracked my code. However, I can rest easy knowing I did everything on my part to not make it at all easy for them.

Last edited:
Gmail has started sending me emails, on both Gmail and the address I used to sign up for Gmail, whenever I sign in. I usually use it at one of three libraries. I hate it.

I don't know if any of this is peculiar to Windows 10 or it's just my computer. I turned it off, and unlike the one I replace, it just turns off. The screen goes black. There's no blue screen that says "Shutting down". Only what I did was not turn it off. When I turned it on, it was right where I left it, as if I had just walked away and come back. But this meant no long startup process or signing in.

And when I am entering a password or my credit card number, there's no "https:", which should concern me. But there is a little lock to the left of the URL. This may be a feature of Microsoft Edge, which I never used until one of the libraries I go to got it.

Gmail has started sending me emails, on both Gmail and the address I used to sign up for Gmail, whenever I sign in. I usually use it at one of three libraries. I hate it.

That's strange. I have been a Gmail user for years and have not received more than one or two emails in that entire time. What do the emails address?

I don't know if any of this is peculiar to Windows 10 or it's just my computer. I turned it off, and unlike the one I replace, it just turns off. The screen goes black. There's no blue screen that says "Shutting down". Only what I did was not turn it off. When I turned it on, it was right where I left it, as if I had just walked away and come back. But this meant no long startup process or signing in.

You need to read up on sleep mode versus shutdown - they can be different. I notice in the HP forums a lot of people are complaining about HP PC's running Win 10 not shutting down unless you hold the power button for a few seconds. Otherwise the PC goes into sleep mode as you have noticed. Make sure your HP updates are current as they may be addressing this problem.

And when I am entering a password or my credit card number, there's no "https:", which should concern me. But there is a little lock to the left of the URL. This may be a feature of Microsoft Edge, which I never used until one of the libraries I go to got it.

NEVER enter sensitive information on a web site not showing HTTPS. The 'S' indicates the site uses algorithms which make interception of information difficult to obtain for unauthorized people. Likewise, when you are logging into sites like your bank etc., do not proceed without the HTTPS. In fact, it is never a good idea to use public PC's for this type of work anyway. Use your personal PC instead. Personally, I would never take my own laptop to the library and use it on their wi-fi.

That's strange. I have been a Gmail user for years and have not received more than one or two emails in that entire time. What do the emails address?
I'll try to copy one next time I go there. I don't go to unfamiliar sites at home because right now any site I haven't gone to will be very, very slow and not worth it.
You need to read up on sleep mode versus shutdown - they can be different. I notice in the HP forums a lot of people are complaining about HP PC's running Win 10 not shutting down unless you hold the power button for a few seconds. Otherwise the PC goes into sleep mode as you have noticed. Make sure your HP updates are current as they may be addressing this problem.
I don't know how to read up on anything. There's no paper manual and this PC doesn't have the answers to questions already in it like the old one did. They send me to the web site, which means waiting and waiting and waiting for something to come up. Once I went there a lot like I have gone here I wouldn't have the problem. Or they tell me to ask Cortana. No thanks. Besides, I haven't plugged my speakers in yet. My cousin got me some.

I don't know how to make sure my HP updates are current. I got a McAfee update this morning but I haven't seen anything about HP updates since last Wednesday. Although that might be all I'm getting. They may have taken most of the morning while I was at the library.
NEVER enter sensitive information on a web site not showing HTTPS. The 'S' indicates the site uses algorithms which make interception of information difficult to obtain for unauthorized people. Likewise, when you are logging into sites like your bank etc., do not proceed without the HTTPS. In fact, it is never a good idea to use public PC's for this type of work anyway. Use your personal PC instead. Personally, I would never take my own laptop to the library and use it on their wi-fi.
Regarding the "https://" I have discovered if I copy and paste the URL, the "http://" gets added as I am doing it, and when that lock is there, it's "https://", so I'm fine.

Last edited:
Regarding the "https://" I have discovered if I copy and paste the URL, the "http://" gets added as I am doing it, and when that lock is there, it's "https://", so I'm fine.

If you learn nothing more about computers than that bit of information, you will be far, far ahead of the thousands of people every day who get caught by people whose only goal in life is to get your personal information.

I don't know how to read up on anything. There's no paper manual and this PC doesn't have the answers to questions already in it like the old one did. They send me to the web site, which means waiting and waiting and waiting for something to come up. Once I went there a lot like I have gone here I wouldn't have the problem. Or they tell me to ask Cortana. No thanks. Besides, I haven't plugged my speakers in yet. My cousin got me some.

You should be used to using Google or any other search engine by now. Enter your model ID then 'sleep' and/or 'shutdown' and the answers should tell you how to perform each activity. Alternatively, you should be able to go to the HP site, enter your model ID and download user and/or technical manuals and look up the information that way. Personally, I have found the search engine method faster and more specific than the manufacturer's manuals.

I don't know how to make sure my HP updates are current. I got a McAfee update this morning but I haven't seen anything about HP updates since last Wednesday. Although that might be all I'm getting. They may have taken most of the morning while I was at the library.

The best way is to go to the HP site, probably the 'support' tab and find 'downloads' or something pertaining to your drivers, updates etc. Follow their instructions on how to download and install the software. Be aware you will probably need to restart your machine after installing (or it may do so automatically).

The only people complaining are those who haven't taken the time to set their advanced Power Options in Control Panel. The default actions for the power button, the sleep button and simply closing the lid are all fully configurable. HP updates do NOT address this.

The only people complaining are those who haven't taken the time to set their advanced Power Options in Control Panel. The default actions for the power button, the sleep button and simply closing the lid are all fully configurable. HP updates do NOT address this.

I have no direct knowledge of the HP users and suggest you don't either so I don't try to judge them as a unit.

It was suggested in the forum I read that HP may be trying to change the method of selecting sleep/shutdown via an upgrade. I don't know, not having an HP, but thought it might be useful info to pass along. My 2 desktops, 1 laptop and MAC Mini all have different MOBO's and therefore different firmware and are all shut down different ways. It's getting to be complicated out there.

I talked to someone at the store where I bought the computer and he said sleep mode was no big deal. It doesn't use significantly more power than turning the computer off. He said it was just the light on the button which I wanted to go away. I'd rather do sleep mode because starting up takes such a long time. However, once I clicked on Microsoft Edge, I went right back to what I was doing, as if I had gone to sleep mode, because I didn't click on the red X in the upper right corner for any of the windows. And I prefer windows to tabs. I can go to the bottom of the screen to switch back and forth, which is what I'm used to doing. There's only one e (plus File Explorer, Store, Dropbox, Amazon and TripAdvisor) and I have to mouse over it to see my options, rather than a series of rectangles, but I like that better than doing it at the top. If there is even one additional window then I get very confused when there is more than one tab.

I accidentally discovered how to open a new window, which is how I ended up with the multiple windows. If I do that it turns out the email from my phone company shows up, though that happens very s l o w l y and I end up on the phone company's main page, not the email inbox, and having to sign in every time and there is a new tab. Now, of course, I can just use the red X because once I've looked at the email, if there's nothing there, I can get rid of it. If I were to use the red X on all my windows when going to sleep, the e would give me my email. Very s l o w l y, as before.

Monday, I had intended to a virus scan. I had it scheduled. But when I turned the computer "on", it was 47 percent finished with McAfee updates and wouldn't scan until those were done. It said the scan was scheduled for later that day. Then postponed it again. When I was ready to leave the computer, it wasn't finished scanning but there was the option to turn the computer off if no problems were found. So I selected that. I happened to be there when it reached 99 percent, and I saw it go to "Shutting down" with the circle rotating, which on this computer is a bunch of dots chasing each other. So including turning the computer off when it froze by unplugging it, that was the second time I had really turned the computer off. One additional note: the login does not show up automatically as it did on the old computer. I get a pretty picture and the time of day instead.

Now as for my doing a Google search to find stuff, I never remember to do that at libraries, and at home I always avoided it so I would never go to an unfamiliar site. Over time I got more comfortable with that, which isn't really a good thing if I eventually end up on a site where I shouldn't be at home, but I never did a Google search at home. Wikipedia has a reference desk where people sometimes give answers and sometimes refer people to other sites with specific information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom