• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I download Win 10 on to a Externel HD to Install later

Personally, I would wait until you are ready to install it. With all the bug fixes and other changes coming out rapid fire now it will be a PITA to ensure you have them all when you install an outdated release. You have a year to go to Win10 free (from Win7 & 8.1) so there is no rush.

I've used Chrome for several years. Even with a fresh install, when you sign in to Chrome, it remembers your bookmarks and extensions.

I've used Chrome for several years. Even with a fresh install, when you sign in to Chrome, it remembers your bookmarks and extensions.

That has more to do with the way Windows has been organizing things since Windows XP.

It used to be that browsers saved their bookmarks, extensions, history, etc. in a subfolder of their folder in Program Files. Starting with XP, those moved to a sub-subfolder under Documents and Settings. So even a fresh install will "find" the configuration files from the previous install.

Any program, in fact, that does not delete its configuration files in an uninstall will be able to use them on a reinstall. So this is not unique to Chrome.

Well, this is great. With the computer problems I've been having lately, mostly limited to when I start it up each day, I went back to the store where I got it. Things are very different now than when I bought this computer. Laptops everywhere (I don't like them because the screens and keyboards are too small, though I guess a mouse could be added) and other devices. Printers.

Oh, we have a few of those.

And what software?

Windows 10.

Uh-oh.

You could get them with Windows 7.

Maybe my computer will last a while longer, but software will keep evolving, so when the day comes, wow.

An ad in my Yahoo email told me I could upgrade free now. I don't think so.

Aside from the incredibly long download time, I don't want to deal with anything unfamiliar.

An ad in my Yahoo email told me I could upgrade free now. I don't think so.

Aside from the incredibly long download time, I don't want to deal with anything unfamiliar.

If you currently have either Win7 or 8.1 you can upgrade to Win10 free. Yes, no charge. Unfortunately, Microsoft pushes the download to you whether you want it or not but you do have a choice of whether to install it or not. Also, MS advertises that Win10 can be rolled back to your previous OS version but I have heard from several people who have tried it and it didn't work - they had to reinstall their previous OS from scratch (and, of course, all the installed programs as well). Unless you have the desire to be a trailblazer and have patience and a bit of technical knowledge I would not recommend going to Win10 at this time. You have until next Summer to upgrade free of charge and meantime Microsoft can work out all the bugs that normally come with a new OS.

The old releases of Win7 and 8.1 are not going away anytime soon so it is safe to stay with either for the next few years. I even have an XP computer that has had no issues since the drop of support but you do have to be careful where you go on the 'net and you absolutely do need to maintain an effective virus blocker.

And to answer your laptop questions - depending upon the model it is possible to add a mouse, larger keyboard and normal monitor to a laptop. Just make sure the model you buy can support these additions. Also, look at docking stations for laptops. You simply plug your laptop into the docking station (which supports mouse, keyboard and big monitor).

"If you currently have either Win7 or 8.1 you can upgrade to Win10 free. Yes, no charge. Unfortunately, Microsoft pushes the download to you whether you want it or not"

Not true. You must ask for the upgrade to Windows 10 before Microsoft uploads the install package to your computer. Even after the software has been delivered to your computer, you can say no.
Of course, that time has passed.
You can download the big ... HUGE ... Windows 10 install package by visiting this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

And to answer your laptop questions - depending upon the model it is possible to add a mouse, larger keyboard and normal monitor to a laptop. Just make sure the model you buy can support these additions. Also, look at docking stations for laptops. You simply plug your laptop into the docking station (which supports mouse, keyboard and big monitor).
Once you've done all that, what really is the point?

If HP Pavilions are still as good as the one I have, I should be okay. Right now, I don't see signs this one is going anywhere.
If you currently have either Win7 or 8.1 you can upgrade to Win10 free. Yes, no charge. Unfortunately, Microsoft pushes the download to you whether you want it or not but you do have a choice of whether to install it or not.
I can't upgrade from Vista, then. I do limit myself to a few select web sites at home but that means spending a lot of time on other sites at libraries.

Once you've done all that, what really is the point?

The point, obviously, is that you can pick up the laptop and take it elsewhere to use - on a trip for instance. Try doing that with a desktop. Of course, with the increasing functionality of phones you can exist quite nicely on the road without a full-blown computer at all.

If HP Pavilions are still as good as the one I have, I should be okay. Right now, I don't see signs this one is going anywhere.

I've worked on two HP laptops recently and they were both junk. So was HP support. Good luck with yours.

I can't upgrade from Vista, then. I do limit myself to a few select web sites at home but that means spending a lot of time on other sites at libraries.

If your hardware supports Win10 you can upgrade but you can't get a free license. Given your situation as I understand it you'd be better off to get as much out of that HP laptop and Vista as you can but don't keep anything of value on it - anything you can't afford to have stolen.

The point, obviously, is that you can pick up the laptop and take it elsewhere to use - on a trip for instance. Try doing that with a desktop. Of course, with the increasing functionality of phones you can exist quite nicely on the road without a full-blown computer at all.
I did think of that later. Though I would be afraid to carry a laptop on a trip because something might happen. I don't have a phone either. Other than the one connected to wires.
I've worked on two HP laptops recently and they were both junk. So was HP support. Good luck with yours.
Of course my HP is a desktop. HP support was pretty good the few times I needed it.
If your hardware supports Win10 you can upgrade but you can't get a free license. Given your situation as I understand it you'd be better off to get as much out of that HP laptop and Vista as you can but don't keep anything of value on it - anything you can't afford to have stolen.
It's a desktop.

And I'm not aware anything is on it other than what it needs to make it work. I've always stored all my important information in emails to myself dating from when i didn't have a computer.

I've always stored all my important information in emails to myself dating from when i didn't have a computer.

Unless your desktop is also your mail server your emails are stored on someone else's computer (your ISP for instance). They are not secure.

Unless your desktop is also your mail server your emails are stored on someone else's computer (your ISP for instance). They are not secure.
I never said they were. And I was doing this before I had a computer, so that was really the only way short of carrying around a floppy disk or whatever the technology was then.

I never said they were. And I was doing this before I had a computer, so that was really the only way short of carrying around a floppy disk or whatever the technology was then.

Well no, it wasn't but I will let that thread drop.

You said, and I quote "I've always stored all my important information in emails to myself dating from when i didn't have a computer." To which I replied that method is not secure (meaning not subject to loss, damage or discovery by unintended recipients). You would be far better off transcribing your "important" data to a portable disk (hard or flash drive) and storing it in a fire-proof, theft-proof location (bank security boxes work great and they are cheap). Make a primary and backup copy and keep them in different locations - preferably remote from each other. Also, remember that email software is subject to change or discontinuance by its author so best to keep documents in simple form or print them and keep securely. Several major corporations have found although they backed up their data religiously they did not back up the software necessary to access it and therefore either had to reinvent it or pay big bucks to the original authors. Best to keep it in plain language without passwords.

^-- This.

Also invest in a tape drive if you can. Hard drives are convenient but when they fail, boy do they ever fail. If a tape drive (or even an optical drive) fails you can still remove the tape cartridge from it and move it to another drive. You can't do that with most mainstream fixed hard drives-- if the logic board or one of the motors craps out, you're basically stuffed.

You know, I wonder how reliable Blue Disk would be as an optical backup format. I know they're expensive but the capacity is greater than the lowly DVD+R that I'm too used to.

"I use WMC a lot."

Then I hope you're paying him well. Those Game Czars (Тсар?) don't like being used without proper compensation for their time and resources.

Last edited:
I said "important information" but it's not really that type of important.

So getting back on topic, one of the libraries I go to will be upgrading to Windows 10. I'll report on my experiences.

I don't have a specific reason for going to this library any more because they don't have this one resource I made a lot of use of, which I would have to be there to use. Technically, I could use any resource at the public libraries at home, but with my slow Internet it might not work that well.

But it just gives me extra time to do stuff on a computer that doesn't give me the problems this one might and the freedom to do research on any site.

Okay, I'm at the library now.

The only browser it had was something called Microsoft Edge which looks like Internet Explorer only in the sense you click on the letter e. I was told to do anything else, I had to go to the little window in the lower left corner, click on all apps, and looks for the other browsers in an alphabetical list. Once I found each one I could right-click and put each one on the taskbar. But I'd have to get the same computer every time or go through the whole process again.

So does all this sound familiar?

This may not be related but the computer won't even go to the library's web site.

Other than Edge not looking "normal", things have run smoothly until now. I try to go to the FCC web site and it tells me that site is untrusted and tells me I have to make an exception. That's on Firefox. I don't know whether this is related to Windows 10 or there's something about installing new software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom