• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Super Translator In The Works

J

JoeFM1

B0220000BL0000009510505052290REVR00AFA,super-translator.jpg

The translator owned by Best Media (94.1 K231CN) just filed to move its transmitter to one of the towers in Mo City. The application says they intend to rebroadcast KBXX with 250 watts from a height of 548 meters. (For us Baby Boomers who went to school before the metric conversion, that's 1797 feet!)

Last edited:
is that translator even on air? I went to Mexico in May and was listening to La Nueva 94.1on my phone's radio and was able to pick it up clearly. I stopped listening to it when we got to Rosenberg because I receIved a phone call. But I never had an interruption of The Box.

One iota of interference with Lite, and the Henderson family will be the first to know about it, courtesy of yours truly.

The Henderson family's primary concern should be actually keeping their own stations on the air, after having failed to do so many times over the years.

The Henderson family's primary concern should be actually keeping their own stations on the air, after having failed to do so many times over the years.

KLTR is not amognst those you allude to, Frog. It has continuously aired programming since March 1989. Say what you will about Roy Henderson's overall stewardship, but KLTR has, does, and will likely remain a vital facility that does what it was licensed to do, and that's serving its community of Washington County. I stand by what I said, if the translator interferes with KLTR, either at its current licensed power in Brenham or after its pending upgrade and subsequent move north is completed, I will be the first to complain to the Hendersons in efforts to silence K231CN.

I know of some Henderson stations that do just what they should: The AM/FM combo in San Saba, Columbus and New Ulm. I'm sure there are others. In fact, I rather like the classic country the San Saba stations air...you can almost hear the tumbleweeds. I liked KNRG as a classic rocker. not so much with the Texas country.

KLTR is not amognst those you allude to, Frog. It has continuously aired programming since March 1989. Say what you will about Roy Henderson's overall stewardship, but KLTR has, does, and will likely remain a vital facility that does what it was licensed to do, and that's serving its community of Washington County. I stand by what I said, if the translator interferes with KLTR, either at its current licensed power in Brenham or after its pending upgrade and subsequent move north is completed, I will be the first to complain to the Hendersons in efforts to silence K231CN.

Agree with you there. This station is run by Lori Henderson. She is doing a great job!

I've heard KLTR, pretty good station. :) I like KNRG as well. And then there's KHTZ 94.9 Ganado, which comes into San Antonio most of the time when tropo hits, another station which is always on with music.

Last edited:
BPFT 20150724ABW so far is only an app. You can apply for anything.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title47-vol4/pdf/CFR-2012-title47-vol4-sec74-1235.pdf
Specifies if you apply for height greater than 541 meters west of the Mississippi, your power output is limited to 10 watts. Don't get me wrong, 10 watts from that height goes a long way, but as of now it is only "Accepted for Filing" (A status just slightly above "Received". It shouldn't be granted, especially if someone comments it's too big. according to the rules.

I like KLTR also (KHTZ) That's probably one of the strongest stations I can get in Lavaca county. They play good Texas music.

BPFT 20150724ABW so far is only an app. You can apply for anything.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title47-vol4/pdf/CFR-2012-title47-vol4-sec74-1235.pdf
Specifies if you apply for height greater than 541 meters west of the Mississippi, your power output is limited to 10 watts. Don't get me wrong, 10 watts from that height goes a long way, but as of now it is only "Accepted for Filing" (A status just slightly above "Received". It shouldn't be granted, especially if someone comments it's too big. according to the rules.

However, since this is a fill-in translator, it is not subject to the power limitations when translator height increase above 107 meters.

§ 74.1235 Power limitations and antenna
systems.
(a) An application for an FM translator
station filed by the licensee or
permittee of the primary station to
provide fill-in service within the primary
station’s coverage area will not
be accepted for filing if it specifies an
effective radiated power (ERP) which
exceeds 250 watts.
(b) An application for an FM translator
station, other than one for fill-in
service which is covered in paragraph
(a) of this section,
will not be accepted
for filing if it specifies an effective radiated
power (ERP) which exceeds the
maximum ERP (MERP) value determined
in accordance with this paragraph.

Fill-in translator my foot. 94-1 is licensed to Barker, Texas. It originates from an antenna in SW Houston. It's primary is 91-1 KNLY New Waverly, Texas. Northeast of Houston, good distance past the Kingwood/Atascocita part of town. There is absolutely NO way this station picks up KNLY over the air, and does not "fill in" any portion of KNLY's licensed coverage area.

However you want to classify it, the end result will be the same. This one ain't going to fly.

An engineer friend told me that KBXX HD3 will soon rebroadcast KNLY. Or maybe it was the other way around... That KBXX HD 3 will become the primary of KNLY and all the translators...

And then there is 94.9 KRUT-LP about to sign on the air from a cell tower near Shepherd and Crosstimbers.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom