• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AT&T joins Sprint in activating FM chips.

G

Groove1670

AT&T joins Sprint in activating FM chips in 2016. Many stations ran the next radio spots (we had a few calls asking why the chip didn't work). What are your thoughts. I think the campaign helped AT&T make the decision. Will the FM chip be the next transistor radio. I think Apple will be the last holdout (if they ever activate it).

I'm concerned about the potentially inconsistent user experience will actually hurt radios perception to phone addicts.

At broadcast FM frequencies, the wavelength is long enough that a useful antenna installation in a phone is impossible. That means for those who try listening to the radio on their phone may not get adequate reception for stations without enough field strength to overcome an inefficient antenna. Remember the old days of the Sony Walkman? Much of the complaints were radio reception was inconsistent, mainly due to the headphone cord was the antenna. A good idea, but difficult to control the polarization or resonant length of the antenna (headphone cord).

My Motorola G2 has an FM app which works very well (uses headphone for antenna). Seems to catch almost everything in my metro area although I am still awaiting the arrival of The Lumberyard's FM translator.

For us, our tower is about 1 mile from our town center and college. Since AT&T is the only reliable carrier in town, I hope this partnership with the radio industry will be a plus.

...and yes please give us reception reports from the Lumberyard :)

I heard a lot of advertising for this from the stations in Las Vegas this past weekend, so I guess the industry is going to push it. Hopefully it helps some.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom