• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Crown Broadcast E Series Transmitters

I know these are only a few years old but I'm curious if anyone has one of these on the air full time and can speak to performance and reliability. I've always been impressed by Crown's FM series but I know the E-Series is only marketed by Crown. Hoping that if they back it, it's quality.

Crown transmitters are as reliable as Crown audio power amplifiers. Here's an extreme example: I had installed a 1kW Crown E series at a station. A couple years later, the station's young and inexperienced "Engineer", was convinced the AC power to the transmitter was incorrectly connected. So, this "Engineer" reconnected the single phase input, to a 240V three phase wye power connection, formerly used by an old RCA tube rig at the site. This idiot wired the three phase hot, hot, and rather than neutral, he connected the third hot phase to the neutral. Unbelievably, the transmitter still ran for two weeks before shutting down. I was called in to investigate and only had to replace the blown up muffin fans and reconnect the transmitter to single phase AC. Any other transmitter would have been a pile of carbon and melted metal.

Crown transmitters are as reliable as Crown audio power amplifiers. Here's an extreme example: I had installed a 1kW Crown E series at a station. A couple years later, the station's young and inexperienced "Engineer", was convinced the AC power to the transmitter was incorrectly connected. So, this "Engineer" reconnected the single phase input, to a 240V three phase wye power connection, formerly used by an old RCA tube rig at the site. This idiot wired the three phase hot, hot, and rather than neutral, he connected the third hot phase to the neutral. Unbelievably, the transmitter still ran for two weeks before shutting down. I was called in to investigate and only had to replace the blown up muffin fans and reconnect the transmitter to single phase AC. Any other transmitter would have been a pile of carbon and melted metal.

Well that's certainly a good testimonial.

I've worked with a few FM series and they're tanks for the most part. Nice to see they backed this E Series.

I have two E750's running 24/7 as translators. One has been on the air for over a year, the other for 4 months, so far no problems. They seem to be good units.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom