• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dave Ramsey replaces Mark Levin on WRKO

http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2953723&spid=24698

Entercom's WRKO/Boston is making a change in its nighttime programming. Being added is the syndicated Dave Ramsey Show, which will replace the syndicated Mark Levin Show. Ramsey's financially based talk show is heard on over 550 stations nationwide.
Entercom Boston VP/Market Manager Phil Zachary said: "After a long day reporting and talking about hard news, Dave's show invites our listeners into the homes of America's working class to hear their stories, struggles, and triumphs. It's radio 'comfort food' ideally suited to New England values."

Looks like Levin in going to 1430 exclusively and WRKO is moving on to Dave Ramsey. Anybody ever hear of him?

He's been on diff. stations through the years... Wiki on him:
>>David L. "Dave" Ramsey III (born September 3, 1960) is an American financial author, radio host, television personality, and motivational speaker. His show and writings strongly focus on encouraging people to get out of debt.

Ramsey's syndicated radio program, The Dave Ramsey Show, is heard on more than 500 radio stations throughout the United States and Canada, in podcast format, on IHeartRadio, a dedicated iOS application, as well as live audio and video on DaveRamsey.com.He has written numerous books including five New York Times bestsellers. His books and broadcasts often feature a Christian perspective that reflects Ramsey's religious beliefs. Ramsey was named the 2009 Marconi Award winner for Network/Syndicated Personality of the Year.

So instead of getting Levin with material that's already an hour old, we're getting him with a 3 hour delay.

Meanwhile we have Meghan from 6-9 with segments like a Twitter feud between pop music bimbos, or last night's interview providing expert analysis of the 2016 primary season that began with: "Hi Mom".

IMO, the only "huge snooze" are the redundant naysayers on this board. Ramsey is very good but the polar opposite of all the angry right voices you usually hear. It sounds to me like RKO management is paying attention to the station and making some moves. Why not try something different? Most of you guys have already proclaimed AM is dead anyway. I give them credit for shaking things up.

i was driving across country a few months ago. I was going through oklahoma and all that was on was Ramsey not bad of a listen sometimes hes harsh on the callers.

IMO, the only "huge snooze" are the redundant naysayers on this board. Ramsey is very good but the polar opposite of all the angry right voices you usually hear. It sounds to me like RKO management is paying attention to the station and making some moves. Why not try something different? Most of you guys have already proclaimed AM is dead anyway. I give them credit for shaking things up.

I took a look at Ramsey's site. His show, as described by his own web site, seems indistinguishable from the infomercial dreck that RKO pushes out on the weekend.

It sounds like he might be a non lesbian male version of Suze Orman. Another infomercial on RKO which adds to the 10 AM to noon infomercial and the 83 infomercials on the weekend. I did enjoy listening to Mark especially when he discussed American history. Oh well. At least WBZ is an easy click away.

WRKO is either financed by a group that has very little interest in making money or have an agenda that blinds them from reality. To drop the most popular and controversial hosts in America (Limbaugh and Levin) and also replace the morning host, Jeff Kuhner, with a has-been TV anchor (Kim Kerrigan) and a sports loser reading the news, is suicide. Then they put Jeff Kuhner on at noon to compete with Limbaugh, promising Kuhner that he may go national. This may be suicide for Kuhner as well. I think they blunted his career. You can't beat Limbaugh. I have gone to the internet to continue to listen to Limbaugh. And I liked Kuhner! They even replaced Mark Levin with a guy who has helped me understand how to buy and finance a house (Dave Ramsey). Is this stupidity, or is there more going on. Not generally a conspiracist, I find this, nonetheless, very suspicious, especially when an election is coming and these voices are very powerful and influential. The media today is not to be trusted. It's time to wake up America!!

Yes, however if they are filling the schedule up with primarily informercials then they can have virtually no ratings and still make a profit.

Awful show. In Hartford he's on 7 days a week on the 4 stations that make up The Talk of Connecticut.

Just to be clear: I assume you are referring to Ramsey here, not Levin, because if so, then I wholeheartedly agree with you. Next to Rush, Levin is the best for right-wing talk.

If you want non-stop Conservative Political Talk, I suppose Dave Ramsey won't excite you. He does a good family finance show. I'm not one for his tying evangelical religion into his advice, although he isn't too heavy-handed about that. He is on a lot of Conservative Talk stations, including 710 WOR NYC.

Clearly WRKO is trying to get away from national right wing shows for two reasons... they cost a lot and they're not bringing in the younger listeners. Many of the most successful Talk stations in the U.S., from KFI Los Angeles, to WGN Chicago to KIRO Seattle, are all-local most of the day and their politics vary, or are sometimes apolitical. Maybe you like Mark Levin's constant angry commentary about how bad liberals, Obama and Hillary are. (Do you really think he's that worked up about it, every night?) But my guess is Dave Ramsey will be more appealing to people who aren't that political and don't want to be yelled at.

Dave Ramsey's voice is irritating. His tone can border on condescending at times, depending on the perceived status of the caller. And I don't much care for the "Debt-Free Scream" in which listeners announce their debt-free status and how they arrived to that point. But, it's a good gimmick, I'll admit. I just tune out for the five minutes or so and come back.

With all of that, his basic premise is to avoid debt, eschew living beyond one's means, and pay off the home mortgage as quickly as possible.

All solid, basic fundamentals of personal finance. If I had a station, I'd run his show. Yes the show is one big, bartered infomercial. You've got to give him his due for monetizing the show.

I do wish Bruce Williams would come back, even for a weekend show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom