• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCOR flipped

A

Anonymouse

I've been hearing Spanish Christian music on it for a few days. I haven't heard a name yet but I will let you guys know when I do.
Mostly it's new music, contemporary Christian rock and pop all in Spanish. Being a Christian myself, I think this is pretty cool even though I don't speak Spanish. Perhaps if the cards fall right in the future, they may be able to simulcast the music on an FM translator. Maybe one of the former Spanish Christian ones?

Last edited:
It's got the same name as the new Spanish Christian Houston outlet, Amor Celestial, or Heavenly Love according to my translations. Seems Dallas has one as well.

This is it for talk radio in Spanish for SA, then?

We have that on KGBT AM here in the RGV too. I think Univision radio Flipped all their Univision America affiliates to this Amor Celestial.

We have that on KGBT AM here in the RGV too. I think Univision radio Flipped all their Univision America affiliates to this Amor Celestial.

Not all stations, and not in all dayparts.

For example, KTNQ in LA is running a tropical music format with LA Dodgers baseball and other features.

The talk network is gone, and each station is taking a local focus. Some include local sports play by play and several have some local talk programming.

What? No more "Radio Jalapeno"? (Sorry.....this thing won't let me insert ASCII code for the "tilde N".)

"Radio Jalapeño" is not the Univision AM in San Antonio.

(Sorry.....this thing won't let me insert ASCII code for the "tilde N".)

Ñ

ñ

1. Press the "Num Lock" key on the keyboard keypad to turn it "on".

2. Press and hold the [Alt] key while pressing these keys on the keypad:

164 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display a lower case n with a tilde)
165 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display an upper case N with a tilde)

Or,

0241 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display a lower case n with a tilde)
0209 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display an upper case N with a tilde)

Or, maybe by "this thing" you meant your device.

Last edited:
Ñ

ñ

1. Press the "Num Lock" key on the keyboard keypad to turn it "on".

2. Press and hold the [Alt] key while pressing these keys on the keypad:

164 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display a lower case n with a tilde)
165 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display an upper case N with a tilde)

Or,

0241 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display a lower case n with a tilde)
0209 (then release the [Alt] key, this will display an upper case N with a tilde)

Or, maybe by "this thing" you meant your device.

I'm on a laptop with no number pad. What I usually do is Google the symbol, copy and paste. Don't use that symbol often.

I wonder what this says about Talk Radio in Spanish. In Miami, there are five stations doing Talk in Spanish. 710 WAQI gets better ratings than the iHeart Talk station, WIOD. The rest are behind but I assume they are profitable, 670, 1020, 1140, 1260. In San Juan, there are also about five Talk stations, with 580 WKAQ always one of the market's top stations, and 630 WUNO also in the top ten, along with 680, 740, 1320 doing Talk. In Mexico, there are several national Talk networks, as well as numerous local Talk stations in the top cities. The Mexico City dial is filled with Talk and News stations on both AM and FM.

So why doesn't the format work in the U.S.? You'd think Univision, with TV and FM stations in all the U.S. markets with sizable Latin populations, could make a national Talk network work for its AM stations. They had a line up of interesting Talk hosts, experts in psychology, health, finance. My Spanish isn't good but I'd tune in from time to time when the network was airing in NYC on 92.7 FM, and it sounded good to me. But the NYC station came and went in a matter of months, perhaps a sign that Univision didn't think it was going to work nationally, let alone in NYC. SBS also owns a Spanish Talk station in NYC that's locally programmed, 1280 WADO, in the format for decades. It's also the Yankees affiliate. I assume it's profitable, yet it doesn't get a one share.

Now it looks like Univision is using the format of last resort for its AM stations... brokered religion or whatever. They'll play some automated Spanish Christian music until the local sales staffs can sell some air time to local Evangelical preachers. Or sell blocks of time for medicine cures or whoever will buy the time. That's the last step before selling off the AM outlets.

I wonder what this says about Talk Radio in Spanish. In Miami, there are five stations doing Talk in Spanish. 710 WAQI gets better ratings than the iHeart Talk station, WIOD. The rest are behind but I assume they are profitable, 670, 1020, 1140, 1260.

1140 is now music and some paid programming as "Betty 1140".

WSUA is primarily focused only on Colombians. WAQI has an average listener age of 72.

In San Juan, there are also about five Talk stations, with 580 WKAQ always one of the market's top stations, and 630 WUNO also in the top ten, along with 680, 740, 1320 doing Talk.

Actually, all the Puerto Rico talk stations based in San Juan are networked with multiple stations across the Island. WKAQ is rebroadcast by owned affiliates, and WUNO owns stations in Ponce, Mayagüez, Arecibo and Caguas that form a network. WAPA has both an owned station in Ponce and several synchronous repeaters. 740 has one affiliate and 1320 owns several.

Those stations are not all profitable, though. Some serve political agendas and are financed by wealthy supporters of the two main parties. Think George Soros and Air America with a better business model. And in PR, politics is the national sport, particularly at this point in time.

Further, PR has a large middle class, which is the source of most talk listening.

In Mexico, there are several national Talk networks, as well as numerous local Talk stations in the top cities. The Mexico City dial is filled with Talk and News stations on both AM and FM.

Those stations appeal primarily to socioeconomic levels A and B or A, B and C+ out of the A to E socioeconomic stratification of Mexican demographics. A and B level folks don't emigrate... they are far better off in Mexico than they could possibly be in the US. US Hispanics of Mexican origin primarily come from D and E socioeconomic levels.

So why doesn't the format work in the U.S.? You'd think Univision, with TV and FM stations in all the U.S. markets with sizable Latin populations, could make a national Talk network work for its AM stations.

There is a saying about Latin America: "20 countries divided by a single language."

The different markets in the US have different backgrounds, origins and language usage. For example, Argentine Spanish to Mexican Spanish is even more separate than Jamaican English and Bostonian English.

Some communities are made up of political refugees, others of economic refugees fleeing poverty.

And most of the communities are made up of immigrants who did not use talk radio in the homeland. No habit, no future usage.

SBS also owns a Spanish Talk station in NYC that's locally programmed, 1280 WADO, in the format for decades. It's also the Yankees affiliate. I assume it's profitable, yet it doesn't get a one share.

WADO is a Univision station. It does well based on a considerable amount of brokered and paid programming.

A real issue is that the Hispanic community is not a user of AM. It is a decade younger based on median age, and mostly in the 18-49 demo where there is little AM usage. Where some talk survives is where there is an established older community: New York and Miami and Puerto RIco.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom