• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How many of the original 1965 KHJ Boss Jocks are still with us now?

I finally got around to reading Ron Jacobs "Inside Boss Radio" the past few days. It's surprising how many of the guys have blurry memories about what they did and when while at KHJ. So it's not surprising that the biographical information we see in places like 440int, which is provided by the jocks themselves, can be less than perfect.

I finally got around to reading Ron Jacobs "Inside Boss Radio" the past few days. It's surprising how many of the guys have blurry memories about what they did and when while at KHJ. So it's not surprising that the biographical information we see in places like 440int, which is provided by the jocks themselves, can be less than perfect.

I just clicked on my 440 bookmark and got an asian site. Is it gone? (Disregard-I found the problem.)

Last edited:
And because people seem not to like to scroll back through nine pages of information---we should refresh the answer to the original question---How many of the original 1965 KHJ Boss Jocks are still with us now?

Of those who worked at KHJ during the Ron Jacobs era (1965-69), only Sam Riddle, Gary Mack, Johnny Williams, Scotty Brink, Steve Clark, Donn Tyler and Bill Wade are still with us.

And sadly, there are only a few left from the rest of the Drake years (1970-73): Shadoe Stevens, Mark Elliott, Pete McNeal, Walt "Baby" Love, Charlie Van Dyke, Jimmy Rabbitt, Cat Simon, Sonny Fox, Captain John and Barry Kaye.

And because people seem not to like to scroll back through nine pages of information---we should refresh the answer to the original question---How many of the original 1965 KHJ Boss Jocks are still with us now?

Of those who worked at KHJ during the Ron Jacobs era (1965-69), only Sam Riddle, Gary Mack, Johnny Williams, Scotty Brink, Steve Clark, Donn Tyler and Bill Wade are still with us.

And sadly, there are only a few left from the rest of the Drake years (1970-73): Shadoe Stevens, Mark Elliott, Pete McNeal, Walt "Baby" Love, Charlie Van Dyke, Jimmy Rabbitt, Cat Simon, Sonny Fox, Captain John and Barry Kaye.

Sad, Michael - but it makes sense from a numbers perspective. I was prime age for KHJ - 13 in 1965 when Boss Radio started. I'm 67, and you have to figure the youngest Boss Jocks were in the mid 20s that year (wasn't Charlie Tuna one of the youngest?). RDS was 29 in '65, and would be 83 if he were alive today. And like Morgan and Steele, many of the jocks of that era were smokers.

How old is Sam Riddle?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom