• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How many of the original 1965 KHJ Boss Jocks are still with us now?

This Ole House was written by Stuart Hamblen, who for many years hosted the Sunday-morning Cowboy Church program on KLAC. The program often featured another song written by Hamblen as an admonition to parents: "Don't send your kids to Sunday School---Get out of bed and take 'em."

And now we are so far off-topic that I have to apologize for reporting on Lee Marshall's demise.

To get us slightly back on topic, I want to mention the JJ's Radio Logs website, which includes more than 45,000 radio listings (1930 through 1960) from the Chicago Tribune, New York Times, Los Angeles Times and Washington Post. Most of the listings do not include full names, unfortunately. The January 1 1959 Los Angeles radio guide shows these programs on KHJ: Brundige, Foster, Heatter, Crowell, Hemingway, C. Engle, Norma Young, V. Pinkley, F. Lewis Jr., Army Band, Answer Man and Haven Of Rest.

I remember Bill Brundige and Gabriel Heatter and I assume the "Hemingway" was Frank Hemingway, who was also a newscaster on KTTV-Channel 11. Who were the others? Were their programs local or network?

http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/index.htm

Foster was Cedric Foster, who joined Mutual as a commentator in 1940. He was best known for his personal in-depth ours of European countries in post-WW2 Europe. "Twice a Day" Hemingway for Folgers Coffee was a staple of my childhood and was I believe a regional on Lee broadcast (Don Lee was a part owner of Mutual before General Tore bought it).

C Engle may have Claire Engle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_Engle ) who was a Democrat and California's senator until his premature death from a brain tumor

Norma Young I do not personally remember but internet sources say she was the KHJ Home Economist beginning in the late thirties and hosted the Homemakers Club quiz program during the forties and fifties. It appears to have been a KHJ rather than Don Lee network feature. However, there is a 1939 phto of her working with Lee's early television experiment in 1939 that identifies her with the network http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist5/donlee.html Her radio program initially began on Hearst's KEHE and then continued after the station was acquired by Earle C. Anthony and merged with KECA. As Harrison Holliway revamped KFI/KECA to NBC Red and Blue network criteria Young's program moved over to Lee's KHJ, another example of the frequent synergy between the two Los Angeles broadcasters. .

Virgil Pinkley was editor of the evening version of the Los Angeles Times (called the Mirror News after a merger with the Daily News) and was sponsored by SAS to promote their pioneering polar route to Europe. I believe he was local to Los Angeles. I don't recall his on-air political slant but both papers were very conservative and pro-Republican. Pinkley, a USC Trojan, headed the United Press in Europe in the thirties and forties and was a mentor of Walter Cronkite and friend of Dwight Eisenhower https://semichorus.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/a-different-kind-of-war-hero/

F Lewis was of course conservative commentator Fulton Lewis Jr, who was with Mutual for over thirty years. He was from an influential Repubican family - Herbert Hoover attended his wedding to the daughter of a former RNC Chairman. Before getting into broadcast journalism he wrote a column for the Hearst papers. When he died in 1966 his son, Fulton Lewis III continued the radio program until 1979 on several hundred Mutual affiliates. Honored in his lifetime he has in recent decades been vilified as non-objective for his strident anti-communist views. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_Lewis

The Answer Man was a Mutual program initially known for answering any question sent in by return mail. It originated ith Mutual's New York station WOR.

Haven of Rest began on KFI in 1934 ( see here http://www.singers.com/gospel/haven.html ) and grew into a M-F ad hoc network - whether this included the full Don Lee network at some point I don't know, but it is now called "Haven Today" and is still heard on over 600 religious stations across he country ( http://www.haventoday.org/brief-history.php ). Another radio ministry uses the Haven of Rest name but there is no connection.

KHJ in those days was a very differently programmed station than that of its current owners. It also had kids programs such as the Cisco Kid, audience quiz shows such as Tello Test and of course Jack Bailey's Queen for a Day.

Last edited:
Just want to say "You're welcome." After President Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963, KHJ dropped music and provided full-time news coverage until Kennedy's funeral three days later. When KHJ returned to music, it was very low-key, mostly instrumentals and ballads. Do you remember listening to Steve Allen on KHJ? In 1945-46, Allen hosted a daily 15-minute comedy program called Smile Time with Wendell Noble and June Foray (who would later become famous as the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel). In the early '60s, Steve Allen and his wife Jayne Meadows hosted a mid-morning show which was broadcast from their home. Robert Q. Lewis, a panelist on dozens of television game shows, hosted mornings for a year or so. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of who else was on KHJ back then. Hey, I was just a itty-bitty kid! And besides, I was listening mostly to Color Radio Channel 98, KFWB.

It's kind of a stretch calling her a "Bossjock" but June Foray is still alive AND working!

I don't know about that. Lee and I were acquainted through Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters and he didn't seem "creepy" to me.
Yes but did you work with him or just have Tea & Crumpets? I was stunned to hear Lee claim to be one of the 'Original 1960s Boss Jocks' at 93 KHJ in the late 60's? Hear it at Lee's final day at the 'Boomer' @ 22 Minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yefvlt6ofNM

Regarding KHJ, Marshall may have implied he worked as a jock from 6-9 p.m., not 6-9 a.m., and replaced Humble Harve. He is not clear on that point although that is what he seems to be saying.

Marshall said, "It was Robert W. Morgan in the morning, Charlie Tuna, Sam Riddle, Bill Wade, The Real Don Steele in the afternoon, followed by Humble Harve, followed by me, followed by Johnny Williams. And then I moved into 6-9 later on."

Marshall's exact words on his last morning show on "Boomer".

Last edited:
Yes but did you work with him or just have Tea & Crumpets? I was stunned to hear Lee claim to be one of the 'Original 1960s Boss Jocks' at 93 KHJ in the late 60's? Hear it at Lee's final day at the 'Boomer' @ 22 Minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yefvlt6ofNM

Regarding KHJ, Marshall may have implied he worked as a jock from 6-9 p.m., not 6-9 a.m., and replaced Humble Harve. He is not clear on that point although that is what he seems to be saying.

Marshall said, "It was Robert W. Morgan in the morning, Charlie Tuna, Sam Riddle, Bill Wade, The Real Don Steele in the afternoon, followed by Humble Harve, followed by me, followed by Johnny Williams. And then I moved into 6-9 later on."

Marshall's exact words on his last morning show on "Boomer".

I just listened.

What the hell is he talking about? He's describing Sebastian Stone's career (late evenings at KHJ then on to WOR-FM), not his own....and not entirely accurately, at that.

Last edited:
The 440int.com site shows Lee Marshall at these stations:

KOY 1967
KRIZ 1968
KCBQ 1970
KHJ 1972
CKLW 1973
WOR-FM 1974
KDAY 1975
KCBQ 1976
KHJ 1977
KABC 1980
KDAY 1990
KBLA 1993-94

Two stints at KCBQ, two stints at KHJ and two stints at KDAY. I'd love to know the details. Was he fired? Did he quit? Why did he return?

What I can't figure out is why a guy with Lee's resume' would feel the need to fudge his history, especially with stuff so easily disproven.

There must be some misunderstanding (with apologies to Phil Collins and Genesis) but it's a little too late for us to ask him.

The 440int.com site shows Lee Marshall at these stations:

KOY 1967
KRIZ 1968
KCBQ 1970
KHJ 1972
CKLW 1973
WOR-FM 1974
KDAY 1975
KCBQ 1976
KHJ 1977
KABC 1980
KDAY 1990
KBLA 1993-94

Two stints at KCBQ, two stints at KHJ and two stints at KDAY. I'd love to know the details. Was he fired? Did he quit? Why did he return?

It's worth remembering, Steve, that the listings at 440 usually come from the talent themselves. And Lee's not here to explain anymore.

I'm certain Lee was never a jock at KHJ. He did do news there, but I don't believe he was there in 1972. And I don't believe his later stint at KHJ started as early as 1977...I think he was post-John Sebastian...which makes him early 1979. I know he was there (I believe as news director) in 1980, when the format flip to Country happened. And that's a far cry from having been at "Boss Radio", rubbing elbows with Robert W., The Real Don Steele and Humble Harve.

What makes it confusing is that what's online is all over the place. And that it's bio material likely provided originally by Lee. One says he was at KHJ in 1970...another says 1972...Lee himself in the video above makes it sound like he was there in '65/'66.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Lee couldn't keep his story straight, and that there may have been a bit of Brian Williams' disease at work.

I'm certain Lee was never a jock at KHJ. He did do news there, but I don't believe he was there in 1972. And I don't believe his later stint at KHJ started as early as 1977...I think he was post-John Sebastian...which makes him early 1979. I know he was there (I believe as news director) in 1980, when the format flip to Country happened. And that's a far cry from having been at "Boss Radio", rubbing elbows with Robert W., The Real Don Steele and Humble Harve.
Exactly true Michael as Lee did news during the KHJ Dees days. I'm not sure how many stations Lee Jocked at either, perhaps that is why he tried to reinvent his legend? I know Ed Kirby brought him over from K-Day to KBLA in 91 at a much lower non union rate of pay, and unless Lee spoke fluent Korean which he didn't, he wasn't there in 1993-1994 as Lee didn't even make it to the end of a very painful 1991. We never sold a spot, didn't have trade accounts, just cleared 4 ABC News Networks spot inventory for $10 each.

When you say "KHJ Dees Days", are you referring to Rick Dees? I thought he went to KIIS directly from Shreveport or wherever that was.

When you say "KHJ Dees Days", are you referring to Rick Dees? I thought he went to KIIS directly from Shreveport or wherever that was.

Semoochie: No...Rick was at KHJ. He went from Greensboro, where he started in '66, to Raliegh, to Winston-Salem and then to Birmingham. In 1974 or '75, he went to WMPS in Memphis. He was there when he recorded Disco Duck in 1976, and was fired for mentioning it. That's when RKO grabbed him for WHBQ.

Dees did three years at WHBQ and was hired at KHJ in the spring of 1979 for morning drive, replacing the True Don Bleu (a Sebastian hire), who moved to middays for a few months before moving up to San Francisco and beginning a very successful 35 years in morning drive up there.

Dees did morning drive at KHJ for a year and a half before the flip to Country in October 1980. There was some talk for a while of having him stay on, given his southern roots, but that didn't happen. Rick was out of work for about seven months when he landed mornings at KIIS-FM in summer, 1981.

So Rick has the distinction of being one of only five guys to do mornings (as a permanent gig) on KHJ during its 15 years as a Top 40....Robert W. Morgan (twice), Charlie Tuna (twice), Charlie Van Dyke, The True Don Bleu (who had the AM drive gig for about 7 months) and Rick Dees.

Last edited:
Semoochie: No...Rick was at KHJ. He went from Greensboro, where he started in '66, to Raliegh, to Winston-Salem and then to Birmingham. In 1974 or '75, he went to WMPS in Memphis. He was there when he recorded Disco Duck in 1976, and was fired for mentioning it. That's when RKO grabbed him for WHBQ.

Dees did three years at WHBQ and was hired at KHJ in the spring of 1979 for morning drive, replacing the True Don Bleu (a Sebastian hire), who moved to middays for a few months before moving up to San Francisco and beginning a very successful 35 years in morning drive up there.

Dees did morning drive at KHJ for a year and a half before the flip to Country in October 1980. There was some talk for a while of having him stay on, given his southern roots, but that didn't happen. Rick was out of work for about seven months when he landed mornings at KIIS-FM in summer, 1981.

So Rick has the distinction of being one of only five guys to do mornings (as a permanent gig) on KHJ during its 15 years as a Top 40....Robert W. Morgan (twice), Charlie Tuna (twice), Charlie Van Dyke, The True Don Bleu (who had the AM drive gig for about 7 months) and Rick Dees.

Thank you Michael. That's the problem with only reading industry reports 35 years ago. You tend to get things confused. It seems like someone came out of Shreveport and went directly to LA. I was thinking it was Dees but apparently not and "Memphis" sounds familiar. It may have been a team, Mark and Brian perhaps?

Thank you Michael. That's the problem with only reading industry reports 35 years ago. You tend to get things confused. It seems like someone came out of Shreveport and went directly to LA. I was thinking it was Dees but apparently not and "Memphis" sounds familiar. It may have been a team, Mark and Brian perhaps?

Not sure about M&B.

Was thinking more about Dees and he actually held the morning slot at KHJ for a longer unbroken period than Charlie Tuna, and tied Morgan's second time for third-longest:

1. Robert W. Morgan (first time): 5 years, 5 months

2. Charlie Van Dyke: 3 years, 8 months

3. Rick Dees: 1 year, 6 months

3. Robert W. Morgan (second time): 1 year, 6 months

5. Charlie Tuna (first time): 1 year, 3 months

6. Charlie Tuna (second time): 1 year, 2 months

7. The True Don Bleu: 7 months.

A caricature of Rick Dees holding a microphone is on the front of the KHJ Top Thirty folder for April 17 1979, with the caption "DEES IS THE ONE! RICK DEES NOW ON 93 KHJ 6-10 a.m." A photo of Rick, with his groovy sweater and groovy mustache and groovy long hair, is on the front of the KHJ Top Thirty folder for April 8, 1980, next to the words "Listen to RICK DEES and his 'CAST OF IDIOTS' 6-9 a.m." Rick's show had been shortened by an hour and Danny Martinez was on from 9 to noon. Charlie Fox was noon to 3 and Banana Joe Montione was 3 to 6. In July of 1980, after Montione left KHJ and went to KUTE, Rick's show was once again on from 6 to 10 and Danny did 10 to 2. The surveys of that time do not identify who was on from 2 to 6 pm. It may have been Charlie Fox but I also think it may have been Bob Shannon. (However, I'm pretty sure we can rule out Lee Marshall. :) )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom