• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWJ_CBS Staff Cuts

Wow. I hope Jayne and Greg land on their feet with other opportunities.

This is so sad. WWJ is one of Detroit's top stations. In an era of declining AM listening, WWJ is sometimes #1 and currently #3. Yet according to this Detroit News article, the overnight anchor is gone and the anchors for afternoon drive and evenings have been offered "voluntary layoff opportunities." I'm not sure if that means they can reject them and keep working or the severance is so good that they'll leave and be replaced by new people?

And should WWJ run prerecorded news overnight? Well, as bad as that idea is, I suppose an All-News station should be All-News around the clock, even if you have to record the 11pm hour, minus time checks, and keep running it overnight till 5am. There was a time when WINS New York did prerecorded hours between 2am and 5am on weekends but that didn't last long. Two of the CBS All-News stations are currently part time operations, KRLD Dallas and WBZ Boston. But those audiences are conditioned to hear Talk shows at night on WBZ, nights and weekends on KRLD.

I guess prerecorded All-News is better than losing the All-News format overnights on WWJ. I just don't understand why a station that dominates its market has to do such drastic budget cuts. I know CBS has made some cuts in other markets but I haven't read about drastic cuts at the other All-News stations. And despite poor ratings, CBS is still supporting its attempt to do All-News in Washington on WNEW-FM, ranked #20 in the DC market.

If this is going to be the trend, a nationwide all news overnight show, with pre-recorded local updates would be preferable to a talk show or even locally pre-recorded content. At least then breaking national news would be covered. However, with fewer and fewer sources of news origination overnight, it doesn't really matter how many outlets there are if there is nothing to feed to them.

If this is going to be the trend, a nationwide all news overnight show, with pre-recorded local updates would be preferable to a talk show or even locally pre-recorded content. At least then breaking national news would be covered. However, with fewer and fewer sources of news origination overnight, it doesn't really matter how many outlets there are if there is nothing to feed to them.

SiriusXM has announced a 24/7 all-live, all-news "headlines" channel, created by Fox, to launch this fall (at the expense of the simulcast of CNN's TV audio, if speculation is correct -- the channel will be occupying CNN's current channel number, and SXM isn't saying where CNN will be going). Don't know if it's an exclusive deal or whether the feed will be available to terrestrial as well.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom