• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Hits

Any stations playing "New Moon On Monday" yet or "Is There Something I Should Know", those were huge MTV hits. Also "Sowing the Seeds of Love" from 1989 was very memorable.

Neither of the Duran Duran titles are on KRTH yet, but a whole bunch of others are: "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Girls On Film", "Rio", and "A View To A Kill" are.

If your point is to attempt to prove or disprove my theory, please note that I did not say every MTV hit was guaranteed to test well, only that those '80s songs which are getting airplay are, much more often than not, those which had memorable videos. I personally think the videos for the four Duran Duran songs listed were better -- and better remembered -- than the two you mentioned, and I barely remember that Tears For Fears video compared to "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" and "Shout".

Duran Duran "Is There Something I Should Know" I've seen on a local BOB-FM. Other stations play "Sowing The Seeds Of Love." I haven't seen "New Moon On Monday" anywhere that I've researched.

Duran Duran "Is There Something I Should Know" I've seen on a local BOB-FM. Other stations play "Sowing The Seeds Of Love." I haven't seen "New Moon On Monday" anywhere that I've researched.

Well, of course all three are playing in Albuquerque ... since they are running my Eighties Channel format ... but we go deeper into New Wave than most Classic Hits stations anyway.

There was an 80s station where I live running "House of Hair", so such a thing is possible. Then they changed to oldies. That was years ago. Now it's K-Love.

and I barely remember that Tears For Fears video compared to "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" and "Shout".

"Sowing the Seeds..." was on MTV in 1989 frequently, but of course, MTV in the late 80's, early 90's probably did not have as big of an audience, as say, 1982-1986. "Sowing the Seeds of Love" is a very, very good song. I also enjoy hearing "Mad World" and "Head Over Heals". The two songs you mentioned are good too, but of course, coming from me......there's more to Tears for Fears, than just two overplayed songs.

Last edited:
"Sowing the Seeds..." was on MTV in 1989 frequently, but of course, MTV in the late 80's, early 90's probably did not have as big of an audience, as say, 1982-1986. "Sowing the Seeds of Love" is a very, very good song. I also enjoy hearing "Mad World" and "Head Over Heals". The two songs you mentioned are good too, but of course, coming from me......there's more to Tears for Fears, than just two overplayed songs.

I never said I didn't know the songs, only that the video was barely a memory for me.

As for Tears For Fears, here's how it shakes down in the K.M. Richards programming bible: The two "overplayed songs" are logically in a power rotation. If I didn't play those often, their absence would be noticed by listeners, at least on a subconscious level. Two of your other three are in a rotation which plays as an accent category once or twice an hour, time depending. (I'll let you guess which one didn't make that cut.) And a special weekend category I am working on to test in Albuquerque has two other T4F songs, neither of which you have yet mentioned.

Hey guys. Sunny 105.9 every friday for the past month has been playing 80s hair bands from 9-10. They are really playing some great tunes as well. Monday through Friday from 8-9 they play the 80s on 8...but on Friday they extend from 9-10 and its all hair bands. It is really great. I would love to see WOGL actually play hair bands...but they will probably play the same songs as they have been playing for the past 30 years instead. Do you think that this is something all of the classic hit stations will follow? Here is last nights playlist http://1059sunnyfm.cbslocal.com/playlist/2015/10/02/. Enjoy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom