• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mother Hubbard: Dig!

NoMoreLurking

Leading Participant
Mother Hubbard breaks ground on a new cupboard full of all kinda perks. Let's hope it's on solid ground and the Goldminers haven't excavated what's directly beneath this new desert paradise. Providing no such sinkhole develops, Chez Hubbard should be completed by spring.

The picture here makes the place look kinda like an old "Lost In Space" set....

http://www.radioink.com/article.asp?id=2948431&spid=24698

Mother Hubbard breaks ground on a new cupboard full of all kinda perks. Let's hope it's on solid ground and the Goldminers haven't excavated what's directly beneath this new desert paradise. Providing no such sinkhole develops, Chez Hubbard should be completed by spring.

The picture here makes the place look kinda like an old "Lost In Space" set....

http://www.radioink.com/article.asp?id=2948431&spid=24698

The release calls Lumberyard 14~Forty, KZAG. YIKES!!

catfish (lower case "c") tells Los Buckeye Boyz Mom's new digs are near 52nd St & the 202. Super convenient to Honey Bears BBQ, the Post Office, and numerous strip joints on EVB. Wonder if they'll have a "Gremlin Only" parking space by the front door?

I must say that these threads about KAZG are probably the campiest ones on these boards, especially that thread with 179 pages. I say that in a good way as I am always smiling when I read them. It has taken me some time to figure out what all the different nicknames mean. ��

So you think you've got the Legend of 1440 down, eh? Here's a quiz to see if your boast is valid.

1. "Lumberyard" refers to

a) the KZAG tower being in a lumberyard
b) the jocks are all lumberjacks
c) both of the above
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

2. The Goldminers are

a) a troupe of aging pole dancers
b) employees of Hubbard Broadcasting (does not preclude "a" being true also)
c) from the old Dean Martin TV show
d) maybe b but maybe c too
e) none of the above
f) all of the above
g) maybe a and c

3. The nickname "Lamptimer" came to be because

a) KZAG's signoff time was known to drift by seconds/minutes each day, as if the transmitter was controlled by a lamptimer
b) Sandusky layoffs would always be preceded by the appearance of a grim character known only as "The Lamptimer."
c) it was a time before the 52 watts of nighttime pow-pow-power were actually engaged
d) they needed a code name for Voltair™
e) ...because KTAR
f) KAZG's signoff time was known to drift by seconds/minutes each day, as if the transmitter was controlled by a lamptimer
g) none of the first five, but possibly some of the others

(Some of them may be trick questions! Answers revealed when the Nielsen PPM panel for the Phoenix Metro reaches a robust 900 souls, or when Ryan Seacrest quits a job, whichever comes first. Good luck!)

So you think you've got the Legend of 1440 down, eh? Here's a quiz to see if your boast is valid.

1. "Lumberyard" refers to

a) the KZAG tower being in a lumberyard
b) the jocks are all lumberjacks
c) both of the above
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

2. The Goldminers are

a) a troupe of aging pole dancers
b) employees of Hubbard Broadcasting (does not preclude "a" being true also)
c) from the old Dean Martin TV show
d) maybe b but maybe c too
e) none of the above
f) all of the above
g) maybe a and c

3. The nickname "Lamptimer" came to be because

a) KZAG's signoff time was known to drift by seconds/minutes each day, as if the transmitter was controlled by a lamptimer
b) Sandusky layoffs would always be preceded by the appearance of a grim character known only as "The Lamptimer."
c) it was a time before the 52 watts of nighttime pow-pow-power were actually engaged
d) they needed a code name for Voltair™
e) ...because KTAR
f) KAZG's signoff time was known to drift by seconds/minutes each day, as if the transmitter was controlled by a lamptimer
g) none of the first five, but possibly some of the others

(Some of them may be trick questions! Answers revealed when the Nielsen PPM panel for the Phoenix Metro reaches a robust 900 souls, or when Ryan Seacrest quits a job, whichever comes first. Good luck!)

Here are a few more:

4) True or false: pigeons out number rust flakes on the Tower of Pow-Pow-Power

5) Which call letters never appeared on 14~Forty?:

a) KXEG
b) KOPA
c) WLS
d) KDOT
e) KPOK

6) Did Gumpdusky really want to replace the aging P.O.S. xmttr?

a) yes
b) no
c) Hell no
d) who is Gumpdusky?

7) Why does catfish spell his name with a lower case "c"

a) he doesn't know where the shift button is located
b) he doesn't care
c) he doesn't know proper names begin with a capital letter
d) he fishes for catfish from the Crosscut canal while working on the xmttr

8) Los Buckeye Boyz

a) are idiots
b) are Charles Goyette
c) are Liddy & Hill
d) are Todd Wallace
e) are the next Superintendents of Public Instruction

9) What is the Goldminers favorite wornout oldie?

a) Brown Eyed Girl
b) Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb
c) The Eve of Destruction
d) In the year 2525
e) Workin' in a Coal Mine

10) What became of the infamous lamp timer?

a) it rests at the bottom of the Crosscut canal
b) it was returned to Woolco
c) it's still at the xmttr site
d) it was sold to KBSZ to get them from 4500 watts to 50 watts at sunset (give or take the usual drift)

Last edited:
11) What calls were used on 1440 during its short lived Disco format?

a) KXEG
b) KOPA
c) KXAM
d) KXTC
e) KDJQ

Oh man, I hate pop quizzes! Oh well, here are my answers:

1. E
2. B
3. F
4. False
5. C
6. D
7. B
8. E
9. A
10. C
11. B

I shall nervously await my score; hopefully you all grade on a curve...

Last edited:
You did well enough to be considered a Jr Goldminer! Nurse Jeff and I can only respond to the questions we posed (#4-#10). The correct answer to 6 is c. The correct answer to 9 is b. But, who cares...you aced our portion of the test and as Buddy Ryan said "...you got a winner in town". (or was that wiener?)

You did well enough to be considered a Jr Goldminer! Nurse Jeff and I can only respond to the questions we posed (#4-#10). The correct answer to 6 is c. The correct answer to 9 is b. But, who cares...you aced our portion of the test and as Buddy Ryan said "...you got a winner in town". (or was that wiener?)

So, what is the prize for being a Junior Goldminer? A genuine Nurse Jeff Bag -- an upside-down fez filled with various items from the Media Hut? Or maybe the keys to the Gremlin for a week? Not the car, just a spare set of keys. :D

Yes indeedy, a Jeffmo Bag is certainly worthy of Jr Goldminer status! Now, what could we load the bag with?...a beeper from J&J, the Kiiinnnggg of Beepers?...a bunch of humbles that Luvable Jay never gave us?...a picture of the Old Gringo spinning the hits at KRUX?...a lug nut from the first and only Phoenix Gran Prix?...hmmmm. So many possibilities, so little room in that Jeffmo Bag!

Yes indeedy, a Jeffmo Bag is certainly worthy of Jr Goldminer status! Now, what could we load the bag with?...a beeper from J&J, the Kiiinnnggg of Beepers?...a bunch of humbles that Luvable Jay never gave us?...a picture of the Old Gringo spinning the hits at KRUX?...a lug nut from the first and only Phoenix Gran Prix?...hmmmm. So many possibilities, so little room in that Jeffmo Bag!

A genuine replica of the lamptimer? A KTUF/KNIX Kicker Sticker? An autographed picture of Wonderful Russ? A sound effects CD from The Nearly Bald One? An official Bill Close memorial bolo tie? How about a Temperature & Humidity to Dewey Point calculator? :D

What about an old post-hip-hop/pre-sports KUKQ bumper sticker modified to 'FUKQ'? (I know, I know....really mature, right?)

What about some old Y95 swag?

What about an old post-hip-hop/pre-sports KUKQ bumper sticker modified to 'FUKQ'? (I know, I know....really mature, right?)

What about some old Y95 swag?

And if you're into reams of paper, we'll put the entire Twice 103~Five playlist in that Jeffmo Bag. YIKES!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom