• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Memo To WFAN: Update Your Inventory!

DToTheJ

Walk of Fame Participant
Has anyone noticed that WFAN is running a four-year-old commercial? The spot is for a law firm (DCD) specializing in cop lawsuits, "Police Officers' Right To Sue." The firm's first ad said they were "pleased to introduce their new website". It also included the following syntax: "If any member of law enforcement is injured, they should contact DCD, at www.police...sue.com" YES, they actually spelled out "WWW"! Now, in ensuing years, they produced an additional spot indicating "the (insert year here) newsletter is now available on police...sue.com." This same spot also rephrased the "if any member of law enforcement is injured" line, by imploring that "the injured party should contact DCD, at..." This was updated for 2013, last year, and again this year. What I do not understand is why WFAN is running this spot secondary to the original "they should contact us at our new website, www-dot..." spot! The original spot should have ceased running on January 1, 2013. For it to remain running alongside the grammatically improved and "www"-free ad is just confusing to many listeners! Why not run twice as many of the new, updated spots, instead of continuing to run the same ad you've been running since 2012? I mean, Kars For Kids, love 'em or hate 'em, even they know when to update their ads! DCD should follow suit (pardon the pun).

The usual excuse-makers will respond that it's up to the advertisers to update their spots, bla, bla, bla -- which is technically true -- but it harms the station's credibility to be running outdated anything.

Is anything in the spot FACTUALLY wrong? Or are we talking about grammatical preference?

I was wondering the same thing re. the on-air/online question. CBS radio stations, at least in my experience, play the same things during online commercial breaks ad nauseum.
Kars 4 Kids was the first commercial I thought of when I saw this thread. It became a running joke how much that commercial was played between my buddies and me when we went on a trip between Portland and D.C. last year.

Oh, these "PORTS" spots are heard on the air, usually late at night. For copy that old, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doubly running on the WFAN stream, but I have yet to hear these spots on the stream, unlike a Kars 4 Kids or the dreaded Progressive spots...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom