Bogus login attempt - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogus login attempt

My computers are set up for auto login on this site.
    I have never had a problem logging into this site from other computers either.
    I really don't understand why you are having such an issue.
    Can you give us more information?
    Browser? Operating system?

I'm not sure what I just did. I got a message saying I had four more chances left to log in. I had already logged in, though, so I shouldn't have been told I was "unregistered" when I tried to post.

A couple of sites I go to that don't expect me to log in every time told me to log in today. Two things have happened: after I turned on my computer early today to do the virus scan while I was gone, I found I had to log in again when I got home. This usually means there was a Windows update which causes the computer to automatically shut down if I don't tell it not to. I haven't seen the message saying there were new updates, though I've been seeing "Windows is downloading updates" for several days.

The other possibility is that when I turned off my computer earlier in the week, I was told the computer was shutting down to prevent damage. I turned it on again and was told Windows didn't shut down properly. Now I have no idea why any of that happened. The computer was shutting down anyway, so i don't know what happened.

It's possible that your log in was not accepted (for whatever reason). Perhaps you had a typo or, perhaps, a space before or after your user name or password.

What's strange is that I had to sign in again. All I know is I could see my password when I typed it, which is normally not the case. If I'm at a library, that's a very good thing. Here, there's no one around.

Bogus login attempt

Some scum from a German IP address, 209.222.8.196 , tried to login as me on the board. Thanks to an email from the administrator for the heads up.

CCENG

I've had the same thing happen, as have others. I don't understand why anyone would want to compromise these accounts, unless it's in the hopes they'll find someone who uses the same login info on their banking sites or something.

They are doing it so that they can post Spam. Our Spam prevention software is very good. It prevents known Spammers from creating User accounts on this site. Instead, they attempt to guess the passwords of registered Members so they can post their Spam under a registered Member's name.
    Last edited by frankberry; 07-11-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Just got the email as well. The IP address given was a TOR exit server.

Me too. A server at 1And1 Internet in Chesterbrook, Pa.

It seems to be an on going problem. I assume they are trying to find an account with an easy password for spamming.

I just got an email 12 minutes ago (from the posting of this message) that someone using a proxy just tried at least 5 times to log in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast