• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stupid infomercial!

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
I've seen part of this one before. I would probably enjoy watching it all the way through. In fact, it's for a product I would probably buy.

It's a Time-Life recording of classic country music, and as I recall the songs are older than what some classic country stations play. The ones I listened to on the way to the mountains didn't play a lot of these really old songs I like so much, though they did play old songs that are newer that I also like. I think WBRF in Galax, VA does a lot of these really old songs in addition to the just plain old songs. The first one was "Welcome to My World" by Jim Reeves. Not really country but it sounds so good. I don't even know when the last time was that I hear it on radio.

But I refused to enjoy this because they took away "Jeopardy!"

Sure, it was a Saturday rerun, but did I actually see the episode the first time?

And I'm one of the lucky ones. I can tape the show on another station. But because I didn't watch live, I didn't know all I got was an exhibit at a modern art museum. On my other TiVo (upgraded to digital) the channel was working fine and I now have a season pass for the show on both channels. And I had to make sure it would tape episodes that just aired.

I know, I know, if I had the extra time I should have just enjoyed it. Where else am I going to hear this kind of a music mix?

Classic country radio is comparable to oldies, while this infomercial, as I recall, could be compared to standards.

Classic country radio is comparable to oldies, while this infomercial, as I recall, could be compared to standards.

Country music at one time was a very regional format. Then in the 50s, the folks in Nashville decided to de-twang it and add strings, echo, and background singers. Voila, everything sounded like Connie Francis, and pop radio would play it. All of a sudden, money was pouring in, and everyone got rich. Sound familiar? It happens every twenty or so years. But yes, Jim Reeves and a lot of similar singers are no different than Bing Crosby, except some of them wear cowboy hats.

I wasn't really referring to how country the songs sounded, but to how old the songs seemed to be on the various stations. Actually, the classic country stations I've heard lately played mostly 70s and 80s, while oldies would be 60s and 70s. But comparing the music to classic hits wouldn't be quite right since there is more of an oldies sound.

If I get another chance i'll post more of what's on that informercial, but it will only happen if I get to see "Jeopardy" on another channel.

There were times that even in Bing's heyday that he covered lots of country and western music standards, and it continued on throughout his career.

Jim Reeves was a HUGE Country star. In Nashville the sound you are referring to was called "Countrypolitan". AM 650 WSM still plays, at various times of the day, the biggest selection of country music ever heard on the radio. They stream online, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom