• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

X107-1 Is Gone

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
I was just listening to X107-1 when it died. The main station, WTSH-FM in Rome, and its Atlanta translator are now simulcasting with WNGC-FM, 106.1 near Gainesville.

Some comments without having really digested this:

1. This makes a lot more sense than using the translator as the main station and the primary signal as the secondary.
2. Since X107-1's sign on, I felt they should have kept the main station as country in Rome and used the translator to chip away small pieces from The Bull and Kicks.
3. What they're doing now is a less expensive way of doing this, but they're going to have to make both markets feel the non-music content is targeted to them.
4. iHeart Media/Atlanta can celebrate over some drinks at Uncle Julio's.
5. The folks at Rome Radio Partners can't be too happy since they moved their country format from 107.1 to the less powerful 93.5. They'll have to super serve the Rome area and hope their personalities are popular enough to hold most of their audience.

We've known from two recent cutbacks that dollars are tight at Digital White Columns.

Only bad thing about X's departure is WRDA has sounded much better over the past couple months (perhaps the competition or just a coincidence). Acheron, do you agree?

I said that they should have done this a while back (simulcasted country on both signals).

Will Moby In The Morning still be in the mix? He was on 106.1 and also for a while on 107.1.

I said that they should have done this a while back (simulcasted country on both signals).

Will Moby In The Morning still be in the mix? He was on 106.1 and also for a while on 107.1.

Not according to Rodney's article. The reason is he's on 93.5 in Rome.

I am in shock that the agreement Cox entered into with Rome Radio Partners does not specifically preclude them from airing a competing Country Music format on WTSH-FM.

This station will never be a significant player for Atlanta market ad dollars. Economically, the move makes sense from the standpoint it will be leveraging resources from an existing station (WNGC-FM) with next to zero incremental expense.

Rome Radio Partners did not own 107.1. They only leased it. They had no say in what Cox could do with it. That was between the seller, Woman's World Broadcasting, and the buyer, Cox.

Chrocket - I don't believe so. They seem to be very focused on 90s top rock hits and over played modern tracks (and honestly they are not all that modern). If Radio 105.7 wants to make it, they are going to have to lean in the direction of 105.7 The Point in St. Louis. I doubt they will lean in that direction and will continue to do what they do. They have not made the first noticeable change to their format since they have come on the air. Stubborn as hell if you ask me. Their ratings have been slipping consistently for the past year and they have went through numerous PD's yet the format has changed very little, if at all.

Check out 105.7 The Point's playlist. That station is more modern sounding than Radio 105.7 and they still play 90s music all be it more deeper and in addition, they sorta scratch the back of the hipster with more indie stuff at night while making the mainstream rock happier during the day with your Breaking Ben, Chevelle, etc.

Side Note: ALT 983 in Nashville, another Iheart station, is competing against Lightning 100 which is a AAA/Alternative hybrid. This has forced Alt 983 to dig a little deeper than what I'm use to hearing on Iheart stations. Doesn't sound bad but leans AAA.

Last edited:
With the success that 98.9 Nash Icons or whatever that station name is probably the next station to go. That or 106.7 and my best is Classic Hits! How nice will it be for the switch to be made during a 4th of July weekend....very American, I say!

I think Radio 105.7 is really sounding better this last month. Playing some new but a lot of great 90s alternative. WNGC 106.1 is super clear east of town so with 107.1 combining with 106.1, this has to be the largest listening area of any Atlanta area station (using 2 full power signals). Think about it...This station technically goes all the way from North/South Carolina in the east (WNGC) and all the way to Tennessee/Alabama in the west (WTSH). Plus the translator gives the in between coverage missing in town. Incredible!

So Jeff Miles is doing middays on 106.1 and 107.1. They invested in some quality talent.

Jeff said, "It's great to be back in Atlanta." Aren't they broadcasting from Athens? I guess that's close enough.

Amazing. They will have two 100kw stations blasting Country music and they will program it all for a 250w translator. Yup. You know they will. Listen for more Atlanta-focused material. And don't be surprised if they move the studio to the Cox building.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom