• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Help! Seeking BE IPA power supply or source

My BE 20T is sick...needs new IPA power supply..I am seeking new or used one...Part Number PM-3329BP-5 from Pioneer magnetics, or any substitute from
any other manufacturer ( such as Transdev SPS- 5822) This is a hi current 48VDC plug in...so replacement must be direct. Can you help? Thanks J Boyd

BE doesn't have one? The "T" series isn't that old where BE either wouldn't have an exact replacement or retrofit.

It's all about $$. I am tired of paying three prices for parts from OEM's. Remember when instruction books had a list of suppliers for the parts,their address and part number? (Such as Collins in the 50's and 60's). But no,unless you do a lot of searching you pay the OEM prices at 2 or 3X markup. We all need to make a living
but where does this end? This is true in many industries, and is sad. End of rant. JBI

Just the cost of doing business my friend.. I've used replacement switching power supplies from Newark or Digikey on many occasions, un-soldering the factory wire harness or connectors. This particular PS is probably pretty high current, so I wouldn't look to cheap-out.

It is pretty amazing what some broadcast manufacturers want for replacement parts. BE recently quoted me $407.00 for a single capacitor. I found one that will work in the application for $34.95.

Have you checked with Jameco? I don't think they stock that brand, but have a huge stock of Meanwell Power Supplies at very reasonable prices.

Does anyone have a FM10T plate transformer? 3-phase, 208/240V primary, 4662v @ 2.32 amps secondary. Lost mine over the weekend, and BE's closed today. Luckily I have a good backup xmtr. Draws a lot of current with nothing connected to the secondaries. When connected normally, the 100A HV breaker blows. Yes, the rectifiers were checked with an ohmmeter and appear OK.

greetings, Bill: Why don't you check with BESCO in Texas... deal in used XMTRS and may have a suitable substitute.
As you probably know,you can isolate the Xformer on a piece of dry 1/2" plywood to get it aboveground, and it will work if there is an internal short to core. BUT: CAUTION, if it doeswork, will be hot with the AC plate voltage. This will at least verify that condition and put your mind at rest about a replacement. Thanks for your post J Boyd

J Boyd:
Thanks for the suggestion. It's been so long that I had forgotten that one. I'll also try BESCO.

Thanks again,
Bill

Have you talked to Pioneer Magnetics? They appear to still be in business and offer repair services. Haven't needed a IPA PS yet but my FM20T is 15 year old in a dirty environment. Already had to replace the big tubeaxial fans twice. Only a matter of time, I suppose.

http://www.pioneermag.com/index.php

Thanks. I found a used power supply on e bay for 76.00! They still have three listed. Make sure it is the BP-5 one and not BP-6. We have also replaced the fans twice.
If you loose the main blower Grainger has a direct replacement at reasonable price. Jboyd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom