• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRTH playing 2004 music!

oldies76

Star Participant
Can it be true that KRTH has finally broken the 2000 barrier and is playing music from that decade?

No Doubt's "It's My Life" from 2004 was played over the weekend, Friday 4:52pm and Sunday 7:25pm.

At least they chose a good song to break into the new millennium!

Now we can say that K-Earth 101 is playing some music from five different decades.

Makes sense. A listener who was 18-21 in 2004 is 29-32 now. Low end of the target demographic.

The question is going to be how many songs from the early 2000s are going to test well and resonate when placed in a sweep with the other decades. KRTH will likely move slowly on this, for caution's sake.

KRTH is also now playing Scandal's Goodbye To You, which peaked at #65 in 1982, and---is everyone sitting down?---the Ramones' I Wanna Be Sedated. The Ramones! On KRTH!

I can't imagine KRTH ever playing rap and hip-hop from the 2000s but there are a lot of uptempo pop songs which would probably fit well. How about Absolutely by Nine Days, Whenever Wherever by Shakira, A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton, Follow Me by Uncle Kracker, Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani, Sk8er Boi by Avril Lavigne, Rock Your Body by Justin Timberlake, Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon and Game Of Love by Santana & Michelle Branch?

Also, seeing as how KRTH has hit top 5 in 18-34 a couple times in the past year, they may be looking to strengthen their position with their younger demos. That said, it is pretty weird to hear 2K songs on Classic Hits, but this is a good one to start off with given the sound and it's a Berlin cover.

Last time I saw their playlist, it looked like they only played about 5-10 90s songs, making a jump to 2004 even more odd.

How many 90s songs would you estimate they're playing?

KRTH is also now playing Scandal's Goodbye To You, which peaked at #65 in 1982, and---is everyone sitting down?---the Ramones' I Wanna Be Sedated. The Ramones! On KRTH!

I can't imagine KRTH ever playing rap and hip-hop from the 2000s but there are a lot of uptempo pop songs which would probably fit well. How about Absolutely by Nine Days, Whenever Wherever by Shakira, A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton, Follow Me by Uncle Kracker, Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani, Sk8er Boi by Avril Lavigne, Rock Your Body by Justin Timberlake, Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon and Game Of Love by Santana & Michelle Branch?
If they're already playing "It's My Life", I don't see why they wouldn't already add "Game of Love".

Also, seeing as how KRTH has hit top 5 in 18-34 a couple times in the past year, they may be looking to strengthen their position with their younger demos. That said, it is pretty weird to hear 2K songs on Classic Hits, but this is a good one to start off with given the sound and it's a Berlin cover.

Last time I saw their playlist, it looked like they only played about 5-10 90s songs, making a jump to 2004 even more odd.

How many 90s songs would you estimate they're playing?

Actually, it is a Talk Talk cover.

If they're already playing "It's My Life", I don't see why they wouldn't already add "Game of Love".

Surprised "Don't Speak" was overlooked. Or maybe it wasn't presented for testing yet.

The question is going to be how many songs from the early 2000s are going to test well and resonate when placed in a sweep with the other decades. KRTH will likely move slowly on this, for caution's sake.

There are some pretty good songs from 2001 that should test well.

A few that come to mind:

All For You - Janet Jackson
Fallin' - Alicia Keys
Butterfly - Crazy Town
It Wasn't Me - Shaggy
Hit 'Em Up Style - Blu Cantrell
Turn Off the Light - Nelly Furtado
Get the Party Started - Pink
Drops of Jupiter - Train
If You're Gone - Matchbox 20
Whenever, Wherever - Shakira
Way You Love Me - Faith Hill
I'm Like A Bird - Nelly Furtado
You Rock My World - Michael Jackson
When It's Over - Sugar Ray
Superman (It's Not Easy) - Five For Fighting

But then you risk sounding like KBIG or some other A/C

But then you risk sounding like KBIG or some other A/C

Yes, one thing I have noticed as KRTH gets closer to the current years with its music is that they are completely ignoring the soft AC crossovers. That's going to make the medium and up titles they have been adding work better, methinks.

Mister oldies76, KRTH also plays It Takes Two by Rob Base & E-Z Rock. If they can play that and Bust A Move, then why aren't they playing Jump by Kris Kross and U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer? Much of the rap and hip-hop in the late 1980s and early '90s was fun and upbeat. As more and more songs began focusing on violence and guns and gangs and abuse of women, there were fewer songs which were suitable for airplay on traditional top-40 stations. I can't think of many rap/hip-hop songs of the 2000s which might someday be played on KRTH.

KBIG plays an occasional 1990s song---I'll Be, Semi-Charmed Life, You Were Meant For Me, I Love You Always Forever, Hand In My Pocket---but the playlist is now mostly from the 2000s. And a lot of Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, P!nk, Lady Gaga and One Direction. A lot.

KOST still plays some 1970s-80s hits by Huey Lewis, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Journey, Foreigner, a-ha, Starship, Culture Club, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and other artists.

K.M., I issue this challenge to you. (I'm sorry that I'm not close enough to slap you on the cheek with a pair of lacy white gloves.) Can you (or David) determine how many songs played regularly on KRTH are also being played on KOST and KBIG? (I know KRTH and KOST both play Dreams, Hotel California and Girls Just Want To Have Fun.) And what percentage of KRTH listeners spend time also listening to KOST and KBIG? Do the three stations share listeners?

Mister oldies76, KRTH also plays It Takes Two by Rob Base & E-Z Rock. If they can play that and Bust A Move, then why aren't they playing Jump by Kris Kross and U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer? Much of the rap and hip-hop in the late 1980s and early '90s was fun and upbeat. I can't think of many rap/hip-hop songs of the 2000s which might someday be played on KRTH.

As much as I dislike rap music, I can tolerate some of the old school stuff as classics. "It Was A Good Day" by Ice Cube comes to mind.

KRTH playing "Lose Yourself" by Eminem "Stand Up" by Ludacris, "Drop it Like It's Hot" by Snoop Dogg, "Lean Back" by Terror Squad, "21 Questions" by 50 Cent or "Shake Ya Tailfeather" by Nelly & P. Diddy! All 1's from 2002 thru 2004.

I don't think so!

Last edited:
As you were saying Radio Rewind, chrocket87 and KM Richards? Since we are attempting to have a civilized discussion about a station we do listen online occasionally, without complaints for a change.

BigA, I occasionally tune to KRTH.....and 98% of the time, they're playing a song I'm sick of hearing and I immediately change the station. I'd like to think that the recent additions to the playlist mean that the repetition will gradually abate. A few minutes ago, KRTH played No Doubt's It's My Life again and Supertramp's Breakfast In America, which peaked at #62 in 1980---two songs which I am not yet sick of. But isn't KRTH starting to sound more and more like Jack-FM?

A few. And those songs are also being played on Jack-FM and KLOS. KRTH no longer has an identity of its own. As for "originality," yeah, we all know what happened to KSCA's adult album alternative format and KMDY's comedy format. And does anyone here remember the all-advertising format of KADS, K-Ads 103.5?

KRTH no longer has an identity of its own.

Sure it does. There's more to a radio station than the songs. But no one here ever discusses that.

However, since you want to focus on songs, the station's identity is in the MIX of songs it presents. You won't hear that grouping anywhere else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom