• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robertsez

Heard Friday evening in the vicinity of Westbury/Meyerland. The format was classic rock, with an ID for "Joe FM." The frequency was 87.9, which means Joe is very much alive and well as a pirate. I guess this disqualifies him for an LPFM.

Robert, thanks for the reception report.

"The Commission has adopted rules to allow unlicensed radio transmitters to operate in the broadcast television spectrum when that spectrum in not used by a licensed service.The unused spectrum is often referred to as white spaces and can represent a significant amount of unused spectrum in some areas. Subject to certain rules the spectrum may be used for new and innovative products and services." https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/white-space-database-administration

On April 16 & 17, 2015, I met with FCC officials in Washington to discuss, among other things, an experiment exploring the feasibility of using white space for a "new and innovative" low power community video/audio bulletin board service. In short, they gave me the green light for conducting experiments, subject to the following limitations: (1) no harmful interference caused to a licensed broadcaster; (2) no radical transmissions (to quote the example given by an FCC official, he said don't transmit images of animals being slaughtered); and (3) cease transmissions after the spectrum auction and repacking of channels. As everyone knows, eventually white space broadcasting may be squeezed out of existence. See http://www.commlawblog.com/2015/06/...ce-for-white-space-devices-and-wireless-mics/

A company called Spectrum Bridge was chosen by the FCC to manage white space devices. http://spectrumbridge.com/tv-white-space/ You can search what frequencies are open and available for unlicensed use at any particular geographical point. See http://whitespaces.spectrumbridge.com/whitespaces/home.aspx Right now, open and available "white space" at our north and south locations includes TV Band RF 6 (e.g. 82.1 to 87.9 MHz). We have registered to operate two white space devices.

8088648_orig.jpg

5207421_orig.jpg

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I purchased a digital modulator (input HDMI video/audio from laptop, output an RF signal on channel 6.1) that, with a bit of amplification, can be received and decoded by ordinary digital TVs. I also purchased a simple analog FM transmitter (the kind that folks use to send audio from their phone to car stereo).

3.5mm-Jack-FM-Transmitter.jpg
provideoinstruments-hd-modulator-VECOAX-T1WMHD-200.jpg

All components of the finished experimental white space device are mounted in a small electronic project box. Additional circuitry combines the low level RF output from the analog transmitter with the ATSC TV digital modulator, sending both into a power amplifier that feeds a J-pole antenna cut to frequency. Total cost for the prototype device: approximately $400. If it were put into production (e.g. all circuitry on a single board) the cost would drop to around $350. Scatter the microtransmitters around a city, and it becomes possible to cover a large area. In theory, at least...

In any event, the prototype works. Last night folks in the Meyerland/Westbury area were able to watch in standard definition the video/audio feed from TVJoe.net on Digital Channel 6.1, and listen to the analog audio feed from JoeFM.net on 87.9 MHz. The signal contour shown on the above map (lower left green globe) was pretty accurate; that was about the listenable range of the analog audio on 87.9. The range for the digital video/audio on Channel 6.1 was about half that depicted (this may have been partially because I was using a cheap portable TV with dollar store rabbit ears to check the signal).

What next? I've shown it can be done. The question now is whether there is interest in duplicating the device? Will schools and churches be interested in low power broadcasting to the surrounding neighborhood? After the TV band repacking, will new FCC regulations allow unlicensed white space broadcasting? Will there be any spectrum left open to support such devices?

For now, the experiment is over and the device turned off. In August, I will be returning to Washington for another meeting with the FCC. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Actually, Joe, the audio subcarrier of Channel 6 is 87.75 MHz. Many LPTV stations operating on that allocation have centered on 87.7 in order to be more compatible with FM radios. While not technically legal, this deviation doesn't seem to be enforced by the Commission.

87.9, on the other hand, is not a component of TV Channel 6. It is actually an authorized FM broadcast channel. Specifically, it is Channel 200. The only stations authorized to operate on that channel are displaced 10-watt Class D stations, and I don't think you fall within that category. Which means, if you are operating as a white space device under specific rules for that article, then you would be operating on the appropriate frequency, meaning 87.75 MHz. If you are operating on FM Channel 200, and are not authorized under Part 73 to do so, then you are a pirate engaged in unlicensed operation.

Actually, Joe, the audio subcarrier of Channel 6 is 87.75 MHz. Many LPTV stations operating on that allocation have centered on 87.7 in order to be more compatible with FM radios. While not technically legal, this deviation doesn't seem to be enforced by the Commission.

87.9, on the other hand, is not a component of TV Channel 6. It is actually an authorized FM broadcast channel. Specifically, it is Channel 200. The only stations authorized to operate on that channel are displaced 10-watt Class D stations, and I don't think you fall within that category. Which means, if you are operating as a white space device under specific rules for that article, then you would be operating on the appropriate frequency, meaning 87.75 MHz. If you are operating on FM Channel 200, and are not authorized under Part 73 to do so, then you are a pirate engaged in unlicensed operation.

Robert, you are right. In analog TV broadcasting, the video pilot is at 83.25 and the audio at 87.75. In digital TV broadcasting, the pilot carrier is 82.31 MHz -- which may be offset and varied to reduce interference.

However, white space devices are not (at least in a legal sense) TV stations. To encourage new and innovative devices making use of the white space, the unused TV band spectrum was opened up for unlicensed broadcasting. Some folks are using the spectrum for medical monitoring devices. Some are using it for alarm systems. Wireless mics. Car remote start. The main use, however, is for wireless internet. In any event, unlicensed experimental use of white space is not contingent on using the specific pilot frequencies formerly used for analog TV audio and video carriers. Rather, if you register a device as using a particular RF channel, your device can operate on any frequency (or all of them) that fall within the confines allowed for said channel.

According to the FCC table of allotments, RF Channel 6 is confined to operation between 82 to 88 MHz. See 47 CFR 73.603. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title47-vol4/pdf/CFR-2012-title47-vol4-sec73-606.pdf That means any frequency from 83.1 to 87.9 is available white space to a device operating on RF Channel 6.

So, yes Robert, while 87.9 is technically considered FM channel 200, and once upon a time the FCC licensed a few displaced LPFM stations to use the frequencies, they haven't licensed any new LPFM stations to the channel in decades. This is because -- as stated in numerous written FCC decisions -- they considers 87.9 to be part of TV channel 6.

Last edited:
73.504, footnote 1, states, "The frequency 87.9 MHz, Channel 200, is available only for use of existing Class D stations required to change frequency. It is available only on a noninterference basis with respect to TV Channel 6 stations and adjacent channel noncommercial educational FM stations. It is not available at all within 402 kilometers (250 miles) of Canada and 320 kilometers (199 miles) of Mexico. The specific standards governing its use are contained in § 73.512."

Therefore, if you are operating on FM Channel 200, 87.9 MHz, you are operating as a pirate station, and are not ineligible for being granted an LPFM license. The rules are very specific regarding the use of FM Channel 200, and you are not operating in accordance with the rules. Which means you are operating on that channel as an unlicensed, or pirate, station.

73.504, footnote 1, states, "The frequency 87.9 MHz, Channel 200, is available only for use of existing Class D stations required to change frequency. It is available only on a noninterference basis with respect to TV Channel 6 stations and adjacent channel noncommercial educational FM stations. It is not available at all within 402 kilometers (250 miles) of Canada and 320 kilometers (199 miles) of Mexico. The specific standards governing its use are contained in § 73.512."

Therefore, if you are operating on FM Channel 200, 87.9 MHz, you are operating as a pirate station, and are not ineligible for being granted an LPFM license. The rules are very specific regarding the use of FM Channel 200, and you are not operating in accordance with the rules. Which means you are operating on that channel as an unlicensed, or pirate, station.

Okay, if you think think the broadcast was pirate, contact the FCC and present your case. You already know my reply: A white space device transmitting digital video/audio on 82.31 and analog audio on 87.90 substantially complies with regulations governing the use of RF 6 white space (82 to 88 MHz). If Steve Lee (or more likely someone a lot higher up, as this is something he'll have to send up the chain of command) agrees with your opinion, I'm sure in a year or two (probably longer) they'll send me a letter so I can take corrective action next time we conduct an equipment test. All it takes is pushing a tuner button twice to get from 87.9 down to 87.7. In any event, I'm done. Not going to argue with you further on this, sir.

You keep referring to this experiment making me ineligible for an LPFM. I was never eligible for one to start; only nonprofit entities were eligible. The filing window for nonprofits to seek LPFMs closed in 2013, with no further windows expected to open during my life expectancy.

Like antique modulation is already all but gone, its just a matter of time before analog frequency modulation falls to the wayside. Look at what has happened to amateur radio and HAMs; going to a Hamfest is like a trip to a senior citizen day care. (No offense intended toward HAMs; just stating facts). Like the silent HAM bands, LPFM is pretty much a hobby for retired broadcasters that just want to have fun. The days for AM/FM broadcasting are numbered. Most youngsters don't even listen to the radio. They have their phones and streaming devices giving access to any station in the world. That's the future... Accept it. Embrace it.

And quit playing with a tuner trying to pick up the flea power xmtr that I briefly had on the air... Get with the program, Robert. You can easily hear JoeFM anywhere in the world, on any computer, laptop, tablet, or phone. Crystal clear. CD quality. No static at all! Just click on this link... http://tiny.cc/JoeFM

5297.gif

Last edited:
Already did this myself with copies to the Audio Division attorney in Washington.

To: [email protected], [email protected]

Mr. Lee:

This is to follow up on an email I sent you yesterday. A broadcaster who has not revealed his identity (he uses the name "robertsez") has been dogging me on Radio Discussions, claiming that my use of 87.9 rather than 87.75 for unlicensed TV band "white space" broadcasting is unlawful. Chris Boone also says he sent you an email. Here is a link to the thread... http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?687673-Joe-is-Back!

As you are aware, "[t]he Commission has adopted rules to allow unlicensed radio transmitters to operate in the broadcast television spectrum when that spectrum in not used by a licensed service.The unused spectrum is often referred to as white spaces and can represent a significant amount of unused spectrum in some areas. Subject to certain rules the spectrum may be used for new and innovative products and services." https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/white-space-database-administration

At the FCC open meeting in Washington on April 17, 2015, I met with officials and discussed, among other things, an experiment exploring the feasibility of using TV band white space for a new and innovative low power community video/audio bulletin board service. In short, I was told to give it a try subject to the following limitations: (1) no harmful interference caused to a licensed broadcaster; (2) no radical transmissions (to quote the example given by an FCC official, he said don't transmit images of animals being slaughtered); and (3) cease transmissions after the spectrum auction and repacking of channels.

A search of the spectrum bridge website (the company authorized by the FCC to administer the white space database) showed that RF channels 5 and 6 are open for unlicensed use at my location.

On Friday, I operated an experimental fixed white space device that I assembled from various components. One was a modulator capable of taking an HDMI video/audio source input, and generating a low level ATSC digital RF signal on 82.31 MHz (capable of being decoded by modern HDTVs). Another component was a simple FM transmitter set to 87.9 (the kind you plug into a phone to send audio to a car stereo). The RF output of these components was combined and fed into a small two transistor amplifier capable of a maximum 4 watts output. This was fed into a 50 foot coax going to a J-Pole antenna mounted at a height of approximately 48 feet. It worked, but with disappointing results. Although you could see and hear the transmission on digital TV Channel 6.1, and hear audio on 87.9, the effective range of the device was only about a mile and a half. It probably would have traveled a little further, but there was substantial interference from the powerful Spanish pirate station operating on 87.9 from Pasadena.

Robertsez, while not reporting any interference issues, posted a reception report on Radio Discussions. He is taking issue about the legality of the analog audio being sent out on 87.9 rather than 87.7. Please note that initially I tried using 87.7, but putting the digital and analog signals that close together injected excessive noise, effectively rendering the digital signal useless. Moving the analog audio to 87.9 eliminated the problem.

So here's the legal question: Is 87.9 part of TV channel 6, and thus usable TV band "white space"? Or is it part of the FM band, and thus excluded from use? You see, in the Code of Federal Regulations table of frequency allotments it clearly states that TV channel 6 is authorized 6 MHz of bandwidth between 82 and 88 MHz. But in other older regulations 87.9 is reserved for 10 watts Class D LPFMs (albeit with no 87.9 licenses issued in decades, and none currently operating). Further clouding the issue are several written FCC decisions holding that Part 15 (which applies to low power broadcasts on FM) doesn't apply to transmissions on 87.9 because it is part of the TV band.

Please advise.

Joe

Last edited:
Joe,

Did the FCC send you a letter of authorization? It appears that your use does not comply with the "white space" rules.
Many years ago, I applied-for and received FCC temporary authorization to frequency modulate a 50 kilowatt AM transmitter.
This is a copy of the authorization.

As I understand .... the FCC does not grant you the authority to do anything unless it is in writing.

Frank

No written authorization is needed for experimental white space devices operating with less than 4 watts ERP. However, this morning I filed an app with the FCC to use our 200 foot tower with a substantial increase in power. See https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5fT1CTu9fUAVEdROUJEQThKQ0E/view?usp=sharing

Reading your application, I can see that it does not include your FM transmitter at 87.9MHz.

Under Part 5, it appears that you do not qualify.

Part 5 Experimental Licenses for: (1) Compliance Testing by FCC-Listed Labs; and (2) Manufacturer Operations of Non-Compliant RF Devices During Design, Development and Prototype Demos.

Last edited:
I fully intend to, but right now I am meeting with an engineer at the tower. My phone lacks the ability to copy and paste an email to Radio Discussions. For what its worth, Steve said the white space operation on 87.9 is questionable and not his call. He referred the question to the Media Bureau. As everyone knows their snail-paced reaction time, I'll be lucky to hear back from them by Christmas.

Also spoke with a former FCC field agent on the West Coast. He said 87.9 is a favorite frequency for pirates and is technically Channel 200 of the FM band. He suggested that I avoid making waves by simply dropping down to 87.7 or 87.8, which is unquestionably usable white space.

So Frank... As a former engineer... Can you think of anyway to combine an analog audio carrier on 87.7 or 87.8 with a digital ATSC signal so that the analog won't interfere?

Hmmm... I wonder if just a slight adjustment to center the audio on 87.85 would work?

Digital and analog can't co-exist. That's why IBOC AM causes so many problems.
To operate on 87.7, you will need an LPTV license.
The FCC rules are the rules. You must abide by them.

... and I'm not a former Engineer. I have a PhD in Engineering. I am an Engineer.

Frank

Joe,

Since you will not post the response from Stephen Lee, I will post the message which you emailed to me:

"I really cannot speak to the issue here. This is matter for the Media Bureau and /or The Office of Engineering and Technology. If you want to continue operation I suggest you get something in writing from one or both of the above. Operation on 87.9 MHz could be questionable, but as I said it is not my call."

Joe,

Since you will not post the response from Stephen Lee, I will post the message which you emailed to me:

"I really cannot speak to the issue here. This is matter for the Media Bureau and /or The Office of Engineering and Technology. If you want to continue operation I suggest you get something in writing from one or both of the above. Operation on 87.9 MHz could be questionable, but as I said it is not my call."

It wasn't that I would not post it. I simply couldn't copy and paste the email on my phone.

... and I'm not a former Engineer. I have a PhD in Engineering. I am an Engineer.

Sorry, I meant to say "retired."

Last edited:
Just checked my email. A friend in Michigan just sent me this relevant article. It seems that a company has already found a way to combine the ATSC digital signal with analog audio that can be received on regular radios. Unfortunately, the FCC gave it a red light!

No-Pix Six Nixed

Commission puts the kibosh on hybrid digital/analog transmission system that would have allowed Channel 6 licensees to provide additional audio-only service.

Video-less TV, an idea embraced by a number of Channel 6 LPTV stations, has suffered a set-back. In August the FCC rejected a proposal by two Channel 6 LPTV licensees to use a digital transmission system that would have permitted them to transmit – in addition to their digital TV service – a separate audio signal receivable by analog FM radio receivers.

Spectrum-wise, TV Channel 6 sits immediately below the FM radio band. In pre-DTV NTSC analog technology, the video and audio components of the TV signal were separately generated (sometimes even through separate transmitters), with the audio located near the top of the band and using FM modulation. That meant that the audio of an analog Channel 6 station could be heard easily on most FM radios (which can normally tune down to 87.7 MHz).

Analog Channel 6 TV stations, both full and low power, reportedly enjoyed a boost in their audience size thanks to drivers tuning in on their car radios and joggers listening on their arm band radios. In fact, some Channel 6 LPTV operators found the FM radio audience so attractive that they programmed primarily to that audience, paying little attention to video. How little? We suspect that some didn’t even have working video transmitters. (Cautionary note: It’s not at all clear that audio-only transmission – or even audio with only a dribble of a video signal – complied with FCC requirements.) The Channel 6 audio business prospered in a few major markets, with a few stations reaching reportable Arbitron ratings levels.

The audio-only TV business has foundered in recent times, presumably because it was based on analog technology and could not co-exist with digital video. (That’s because: (a) under the ATSC digital standard, the analog signal is no longer separate from the video; and (b) digital TV audio can’t be received on FM radios – not even digital “HD” FM radios.) With virtually all full-power TV stations converted to DTV operation since 2009, and with a fast-approaching end-date for analog LPTV broadcasting, future prospects for video-less Channel 6 operations are not good. LPTV licensees recognize that it’s difficult, if not impossible, to make a viable business plan when you ‘re likely to hit a brick wall in only three years.

But where there’s a will, there’s often a way.

Transmitter manufacturer Axcera came up with something they call Bandwidth Enhancement Technology (BET), which combines a digital TV signal with an analog audio signal. A Channel 6 station operating with a BET transmitter can broadcast a DTV signal (combined audio and video) using most of its 6 MHz bandwidth, but still insert an analog audio signal in a little slice at the top of the band. Digital TV sets can receive full TV service, while analog radios can receive a separate audio service. Audio programming service can even be transmitted two ways at the same time – on the TV dot 2 stream (Channel 6.2) in digital format and on the BET stream in analog.

This innovative approach sounded like a winner to Venture Technologies Group (VTG), which proposed to install BET at two of its stations. After all, didn’t the FCC tout digital TV as a way to introduce both more services and new services to the public? And doesn’t the ancillary services rule (that would be Section 73.624(c)) encourage TV stations to “offer services of any nature, consistent with the public interest, convenience, and necessity, on an ancillary or supplementary basis.” VTG saw its proposed use of BET as a win-win, increasing service to the public while providing a much-needed additional revenue source for LPTV stations struggling to survive without carriage rights on cable or satellite.

Sorry, the FCC responded, no deal.

According to the Commission, it has yet to adopt technical standards for the “hybrid” operation of a BET transmitter. The FCC claims that its rule (i.e., Section 74.795(b)(1), which in turn references Section 73.682(d)) require that digital LPTV stations comply with ATSC standards, and ATSC standards require the use of 8VSB transmission throughout the entire 6 MHz bandwidth of a TV channel. Since the BET system uses part of that bandwidth to transmit an analog signal, it doesn’t comply with the ATSC standard and thus can’t be licensed, as the FCC sees it.

On top of that, the FCC was skeptical of VTG’s claim that no interference would be caused to any other station. The Commission’s skepticism arose because there is no established desired-to-undesired (D/U) signal ratio for hybrid-into-DTV operation – without that ratio, how can interference (or lack thereof) be determined? The FCC also noted that the probability of interference to co-channel DTV operations is higher than VTG let on, because VTG’s proposal would not decrease digital power to offset the analog audio power and so could increase the total power of its Channel 6 operations by as much as 33%.

And all that stuff about favoring innovation and ancillary services? That doesn’t matter to the Commission when you run the risk of interference. Application dismissed!

We checked out the FCC’s reasoning. As far as conforming to all ATSC standards goes, that requirement appears in Section 73.682(d). We think the FCC’s reasoning is a bit stretched, though, because Section 73.682(d) comes into play here only through Section 74.795(b)(1), and that section requires only that digital LPTV systems be “satisfactorily viewed” on consumer digital TV receivers that operate based on Section 73.682(d). In other words, while Section 73.682(d) is indeed mentioned in Section 74.795, that mention does not require the LPTV transmission system to comply with all aspects of Section 73.682(d). The whole point of the BET technology is to preserve satisfactory DTV viewing. The compression of the digital TV signal to carve off a sliver for analog audio is not supposed to impact TV reception on consumer digital receivers. If Axcera is right about that, then where is there any violation of Section 74.795(b)(1)?

Don’t take our word for this: the FCC itself has expressly stated that digital LPTV stations do NOT have to comply with all aspects of Sec. 73.682(d). In the Report and Order adopting digital rules for LPTV stations, the FCC said:

LPTV and TV translator stations are not required to comply with either Section 73.682(a) or (d). [That appears at Paragraph 163.]

and

Digital companion channels to Class A stations will be licensed on a secondary, LPTV basis and at this juncture operation of companion channels will not be subject to the requirements of Section 73.682(d) of the rules. [This one’s at Paragraph 165.]

(By contrast, the Commission also observed, also at Paragraph 165, that “Class A TV stations that choose to convert to digital on their existing analog channel will be licensed on a primary, Class A basis and their converted digital facilities will be subject to the requirements of Section 73.682(d).”)

So it seems that, while digital Class A stations must comply with all aspects of with Section 73.682(d), LPTV stations only have to be receivable on consumer receivers.

What about the argument that there are no standards for measuring interference from hybrid stations? There the FCC is on stronger ground. There has never been a rulemaking on hybrid standards, so hybrid operation is not mentioned in the interference rules.

But what might happen in real life? The BET technology was designed to be compatible with digital TV operation. We talked to one of the leading industry engineers who helped develop the technology. We learned that, while there is little possibility of any damage to the host hybrid station itself (i.e., the analog audio won’t interfere with the digital TV signal of the same station), it is not as clear that there won’t be any increase in interference to other Channel 6 stations. To avoid co-channel interference, more distance between Channel 6 stations might be required than would be the case without the analog carrier.

In our view, the FCC ought to give hybrid DTV technology like the BET system a closer look. That’s particularly so given the FCC’s relentless quest for more efficient use of all spectrum everywhere. The hybrid here is a “two-fer” – one TV station can provide two kinds of service. Why stifle that kind of creativity, innovation, and efficiency?

And, if the technology does work, it would not necessarily be limited to LPTV. At least one full-power station in Schenectady, New York found that its audience enjoyed listening to the audio from TV newscasts and talk shows that they could pick up in cars and while “puttering around the garage.” That station pulled the plug on the service, however, because the licensee “didn’t want to risk annoying” the FCC. Since 73.682(d) plainly applies to full-service stations, approval of hybrid gear for such stations would require some adjustment on that end – but if the result is an increase in innovation and service, why not?

We hope that proponents of BET will conduct the necessary tests to show how much analog audio power is possible without adversely affecting any other station. Convincing the Commission that hybrid technology does not pose a serious threat of interference could open the door for that innovative technology. And that, in turn, could allow LPTV stations that have experimented successfully with some kind of audio-only service to continue to develop both that service and digital video programming, unthreatened by the impending end of analog LPTV. Moreover, enabling hybrid operation could provide analog Channel 6 LPTV stations an incentive to convert to digital operation sooner rather than later and to bring to the public the increased quality and quantity of services available with digital TV technology.

So, I'm listening to Mix 96-5 this morning and wouldn't you know it? No Adam Smasher. Note to self: Should've checked radiodiscussions.com and known about this sudden and seemingly unseen change at KHMX.

Oh wait...

So, I'm listening to Mix 96-5 this morning and wouldn't you know it? No Adam Smasher. Note to self: Should've checked radiodiscussions.com and known about this sudden and seemingly unseen change at KHMX. Oh wait...

Adam who? Just kidding... :)

Atom Smasher's antics focused on younger listeners who, well, don't exist anymore. Not like in the 70s, when young adults flocked to the variety on KRBE, or the 80s when 93Q ruled! The next generation of adolescents and young adults get their music programming and entertainment from their phones. They stream music without ads. They're not listening to some wannabe fool yapping away with nonsense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom