• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Up to the Minute" (a CBS News program) Set to End This September

It's interesting how local morning news shows, even in medium markets, are now starting earlier and earlier. So it makes this kind of live anchored programming at 3AM unnecessary. Better to simply provide the reports to affiliates, and they can do the anchoring.

It also allowed CBS to free up people and facilities for the digital service. And then there's always talk of launching a cable news network to compete with MSNBC.

It's interesting how local morning news shows, even in medium markets, are now starting earlier and earlier. So it makes this kind of live anchored programming at 3AM unnecessary. Better to simply provide the reports to affiliates, and they can do the anchoring.

It also allowed CBS to free up people and facilities for the digital service. And then there's always talk of launching a cable news network to compete with MSNBC.

Most nights, most of it (sometimes all of it) gets preempted for: (1) A repeat of the 11pm news. (2) A repeat of Dr. Phil or some other daytime show. (3) Infomercials. And this is a CBS owned station. If this is what an O&O does, image what the affiliates do.

Most nights, most of it (sometimes all of it) gets preempted for: (1) A repeat of the 11pm news. (2) A repeat of Dr. Phil or some other daytime show. (3) Infomercials. And this is a CBS owned station. If this is what an O&O does, image what the affiliates do.

As of late, most of the CBS O&O's have been treating "Up to the Minute" worse than most of the affiliates. I guess you know a show is in trouble when the O&O's don't even clear the entire hour.

WFSB Hartford carries the entire show. WBZ-TV Boston pre-empts the first quarter hour for an infomercial.

Get ready for stations to air infomercials in the overnight hours. Or maybe, just maybe, some will go off the air after James Corden. We can only hope. KIMA was signing off every night until 2011, and it might just come back.

-crainbebo

You can just about bet WREG in Memphis will fill the time with infomercials. They're already pre empting a couple of hours of up to the minute for that.this will just give them another excuse to go even more infomercial crazy.

Last edited:
Get ready for stations to air infomercials in the overnight hours. Or maybe, just maybe, some will go off the air after James Corden. We can only hope. KIMA was signing off every night until 2011, and it might just come back.

-crainbebo

What is the great advantage of signing off? (None.) then again, what is the great harm in revenue-generating infomercials in the wee hours? (Also none.)

It clearsin Detroit from 5-6 on WWJ-TV followed by Anne Marie doing the CBS Morning News ahead of the 7AM start of CBS This Morning. I watched it regularly before switching to listening to Gordon Deal's radio show. I hope Anne Marie stays with the network. Up To The Minute was far better than what the cable news nets has on in those time slots.

It clearsin Detroit from 5-6 on WWJ-TV followed by Anne Marie doing the CBS Morning News ahead of the 7AM start of CBS This Morning. I watched it regularly before switching to listening to Gordon Deal's radio show. I hope Anne Marie stays with the network. Up To The Minute was far better than what the cable news nets has on in those time slots.

This is a station with no local news or other local presence. Five to six AM is when other stations are already into their local morning shows. The so-called CBS Morning News normally runs at four am. If WJBK-TV2 were still the CBS affiliate, none of these shows would run in Detroit at all. Back when the CBS Morning News ran at 7am and was the classiest news broadcast in television, you had to get it from channels six or 11.

WFSB in Hartford will probably air an infomercial 2:37-3:07AM. A couple years ago they replaced the 2:07AM rebroadcast of their 11PM News with an infomercial. This past fall they replaced the infomercial with the OK! Magazine TV Show. Then they'll probably air a Dr. Oz rerun 3:07AM-4AM. It should be noted that WVIT the in market NBC O&O replaces the 2:05AM airing of NBC's The Best of Kathie Lee & Hoda with the same episode of The Merideth Viera Show that had aired at 2PM that afternoon. And then at 3AM instead of Mad Money from NBC, they air The Steve Harvey Show. It used to be the same episode they ran at 3PM, but now there are a few weeks differences in the episodes.

I have removed lots of off-topic posts (including mine).
Please ..... let's stay on-topic.

Thanks,
Frank

I get the feeling that a repeat of The Talk] will probably go there to compete with the Kathie Lee & Hoda & Wine hour of Today repeat on NBC (most stations now don't bother with the Mad Money replay that follows that due to lack of time before getting to Early Today); The Talk proved it can work in a late night timeslot, and even in that kind of timeslot CBS will get much more revenue than the AstraZeneca parade of pharmaceuticals that UTTM is right now in commercial breaks, along with the ability to do some Nielsen muddling to try to build their numbers against The View. Not to say CBSN could be substituted on rare busy news nights either.

I get the feeling that a repeat of The Talk] will probably go there to compete with the Kathie Lee & Hoda & Wine hour of Today repeat on NBC

That would make sense, but some major NBC affiliates have turned over that late night repeat to other syndicated talk options. The market is still pretty glutted.

Such news programs like Up to the Minute is not needed today due to most(if not all) CBS stations starting their morning news at 4am.

The benefit of "concluding our broadcast day" and cutting the power for a few hours = $$$ saved in the power bill for the transmitter and station. Back in the good ol' days (and I don't mean 1963, I actually meant *1993*) - all five Yakima TV stations at the time (Big 3, + translator semi-satellite of a Fox in Spokane and PBS) went off the air for some time in the night, 7 nights a week. UTTM, WNN and Nightside were on by then, but no one aired it in Yakima, opting to save some money and conclude their broadcast day with the national anthem. Our ABC station (KAPP) actually went off at 12:30AM after Rush Limbaugh - on weeknights!

Back to the topic of "what will CBS provide between 1:35 and 4AM?" - I expect a rerun of The Talk and maybe a Price is Right rerun. The scream-fest pep rally that is called Price is Right may be popular with college students.

-crainbebo

Not likely though. Only KTLA has a newscast earlier than 4:30 AM (And even that starts at 4:00 AM)
The former is likely (If not already happening). The latter - FORGET IT !! they'd have a much better chance (and success) if they launched it as a diginet instead

Besides, CBS can't even compete in the sports arena on cable. HOW ON EARTH are they going to be able to hang with MSNBC in the cable news business if they can't even hang with NBC SN (To say NOTHING of Fox Sports 1, ESPN, CNN & Fox News

The diginet arena OTOH is WIDE open if they wanna venture in that direction

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 :)

CBS can't even compete in the sports arena on cable. HOW ON EARTH are they going to be able to hang with MSNBC in the cable news business if they can't even hang with NBC SN (To say NOTHING of Fox Sports 1, ESPN, CNN & Fox News

The diginet arena OTOH is WIDE open if they wanna venture in that direction

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 :)

Did you know CBS has a cable TV and satellite TV programming service named the CBS Sports Network?

By the way, why did you embolden and capitalize entire words in your message (please don't be offended by my asking about them)?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom