• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

English song on 106. 5

M

mrtejano

I know she is a Hispanic icons but I found it very weird to hear Selena song dreaming of you on 106.5

I know she is a Hispanic icons but I found it very weird to hear Selena song dreaming of you on 106.5

Why is that odd? Contemporary and oldies stations throughout Latin America play lots of English language songs. In the case of the Selena song, you have a core artist with one of the bigger hits of her career.

KOVE and the Más Variedad (former "Recuerdo") stations have been playing it since early 2000.

Might be the case, but I have never heard it on 106.5 before. Back in the days when it was KLOVE yes but after no. I would expect a song like that on 104.9 LATINO MIX

Selena has been playing on 106-5 since its days as KQQK, mrtejano. Personally, I couldn't imagine Selena being played by Latino Mix given that it is current based.

True Purple Devil, but NOW 106.5 doesn't play songs in English.

That's just not true. 106-5 has, does, and likely will continue airing Spanish language artists performing English language songs. As long as the music fits the format, I just don't see the issue. Using your example of Selena, "Missing My Baby" and "Dreaming of You" both fall into this category and have been on 106-5's playlist from its days as KQQK, through K-Love, into Recuerdo, and now Mas Variedad. The songs may get rotated in and out of the playlist from time to time, but this is nothing new for KOVE.

When Katy Perry and Taylor Swift start playing on 106-5, then we've got something to talk about. This is just a non-issue, amigo.

Now that you mention that, would a format like that fit in here in Houston? I know Mega and Latino Mix play some songs in English and Baila tried it for a bit too. Would a station that plays both English and Spanish songs work here in Houston. I mean a lot of these new kids have their mixes saved on their phones and computers. They have Regional Mexican, Bachata, Pop, Hip Hop, country, Rap and many more formats. So would a station that plays the most popular songs from different formats fit right?

Jack en Espanol... that would be interesting! I would definitely listen if it was a mix of US and Mexican pop, like some sort of a hybrid AC format. The rap & reggaeton can stay with Mega & Latino Mix.

Because it's Selena. Now if it was Selena Gomez, that would be a problem.

Why? I cannot think of a nicer person, nor a better role model for young Latinas. Is there some sort of bigotry against songs in English? Because everybody knows virtually every Mexican immigrant is bilingual anyway, even if they choose not to be when convenient.

QUOTE=rbrucecarter5;6055111]Why? I cannot think of a nicer person, nor a better role model for young Latinas. Is there some sort of bigotry against songs in English? Because everybody knows virtually every Mexican immigrant is bilingual anyway, even if they choose not to be when convenient.[/QUOTE]

Ah...what would this board be without you, Bruce? Them damn Mexican foreigners and their manipulative plan to frustrate you by pretending to not speak English. You know, every Mexican immigrants make tortillas by hand, and cuts grass as a means to support themselves and their families too, right? God, how I've missed you Bruce. The Houston forum has really went to the crapper lately without you.

Anyway, mrtejano, pardon the diversion. Bruce actually makes a point here. There is no way in the world a Variety Hits station playing both English and Spanish language hits would work. Too many white folks would be running for the tuner as soon as something Spanish came on, and Hispanics aren't going to be cranking up Information Society anytime soon. I mean, who is going to stick around for Juan Luis Guerra followed by Depeche Mode, wrapped up by Miley Cyrus? The time spent listening (TSL) would be in the toilet. KLOL & KAMA get away with it because, regardless of the language, the music has a distinctive dance lean. That's what makes it work. A straight up Jack like format featuring both languages just wouldn't, in my humble opinion.

Why? I cannot think of a nicer person, nor a better role model for young Latinas.

But KOVE targets age 30 and over Spanish Dominant Hispanics.

Is there some sort of bigotry against songs in English?

Not bigotry. Just reality. Hispanics who want to hear music in English have dozens of choices, and don't expect to hear much of it on a Spanish language station.

That said, many of the Spanish CHR stations in the US that target 18-34 play a couple of English language hits each hour as part of the blend.

Because everybody knows virtually every Mexican immigrant is bilingual anyway, even if they choose not to be when convenient.

In Houston, about half of all Hispanics are "Spanish dominant". That means they speak no English or very limited English.

Jack en Espanol... that would be interesting! I would definitely listen if it was a mix of US and Mexican pop, like some sort of a hybrid AC format. The rap & reggaeton can stay with Mega & Latino Mix.

KOVE is "Jack en español" but for a different target audience. The format has about the same library size and age range as the Jack et. al. stations.

Might be the case, but I have never heard it on 106.5 before. Back in the days when it was KLOVE yes but after no. I would expect a song like that on 104.9 LATINO MIX

The song is too old for Latino Mix... keep in mind we are considering an artist who passed two decades ago.

The Selena song was on 106.5 when we launched and has been on most of the time since then. Like all stations that test their music libraries, some songs may be played a while and then rest for a time, depending on the current appeal of each song.

The song is too old for Latino Mix... keep in mind we are considering an artist who passed two decades ago.

The Selena song was on 106.5 when we launched and has been on most of the time since then. Like all stations that test their music libraries, some songs may be played a while and then rest for a time, depending on the current appeal of each song.

Is there an echo in here? Lol, well there you have it. Exactly the point I made earlier, KOVE has always aired both English and Spanish songs from Selena, as well as other Spanish artists. Thanks for backing me up on the point, David. I assume mrtejano simply hasn't been listening to KOVE for very long.

I would like to hear your thoughts on a Jack type format, utilizing both English and Spanish language monster hits. As I stated earlier, my thinking is that the TSL would be abysmal at best. Would any potential listeners to the format put up with switching back and forth between the two languages in your experiences?

QUOTE=rbrucecarter5;6055111]Why? I cannot think of a nicer person, nor a better role model for young Latinas. Is there some sort of bigotry against songs in English? Because everybody knows virtually every Mexican immigrant is bilingual anyway, even if they choose not to be when convenient.

Ah...what would this board be without you, Bruce? Them damn Mexican foreigners and their manipulative plan to frustrate you by pretending to not speak English. You know, every Mexican immigrants make tortillas by hand, and cuts grass as a means to support themselves and their families too, right? God, how I've missed you Bruce. The Houston forum has really went to the crapper lately without you.

[/QUOTE]

I had to laugh - the guy that cuts my grass is Mexican. He actually HAS limited English skills. In his case, I use Latin to communicate, somehow he gets the message. Does a darn good job at a reasonable price. And I use Latin at those taco trucks that pass through the neighborhood feeding the construction guys - DANG the food is good! I get some strange stares when I use Latin - sort of like people would give you if you spoke Shakespeare or something. But it works.

Oh what fun I had with the Mexican girls getting drug tested pre-employment. They kept talking about me, was I staring at her legs - or the girl next to her, or was I staring somewhere else (I wasn't). Then the nurse came in and asked everybody to have their social security card ready. The girls feigned no English skills - so I just turned around not knowing if this was right Spanish or not and said very plainly "securidad sociale". Don't think Mexicans can have red faces? They blushed about a sunburn shade of embarrassed because they knew I had heard everything they said! A little Latin goes a long way - hardly a dead language.

QUOTE=rbrucecarter5;6055111]Too many white folks would be running for the tuner as soon as something Spanish came on, and Hispanics aren't going to be cranking up Information Society anytime soon. I mean, who is going to stick around for Juan Luis Guerra followed by Depeche Mode, wrapped up by Miley Cyrus? The time spent listening (TSL) would be in the toilet. KLOL & KAMA get away with it because, regardless of the language, the music has a distinctive dance lean. That's what makes it work. A straight up Jack like format featuring both languages just wouldn't, in my humble opinion.

Let's see, where was the outrage by whites when Guantanamera played on the radio? Or La Bamba? Or the Spanish / partially Spanish version of Love Will Keep Us Together? Or Sukiyaki - for that matter - which was Japanese less than two decades after WW2? It doesn't automatically become racial when a Spanish or other foreign language song plays on a English speaking station. So why should the reverse be true?

Some of us really wish this whole "racial victim" thing would just go away and be replaced by people that are proud of who and what they are - and not be so sensitive when they see or hear something they don't like.

I REALLY like my black and hispanic friends. They don't include a single one who have a chip on their shoulder: "I'm offended by that song / that flag / what you watch / your race". People like that are nasty, unpleasant people with poor self image who need to get over themselves.

I would like to hear your thoughts on a Jack type format, utilizing both English and Spanish language monster hits. As I stated earlier, my thinking is that the TSL would be abysmal at best. Would any potential listeners to the format put up with switching back and forth between the two languages in your experiences?

Who knows what will happen among later-generation Hispanics. We now have the Tejano station in San Antonio playing some country and some oldies on a format where most of the music is in Spanish but the presentation is nearly 100% in English.

But in many markets, going back to Super Q in Miami in 1978 as recent as several of the format gyrations of KXOL in LA in the last year or so have mixed lots of English songs with Spanish ones. Where this seems to work is with pop / rhythmic (reggaetón) where there are lots of crossover artists like Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, Shakira, Prince Royce, Leslie Grace and others who do stuff in both languages and where the format is mostly currents and very recent throwbacks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom