• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

For WISX to survive, they should try a BEN-FM format

A

atrainradio

I was thinking about this the other day. WISX is being kick in the butt by WIOQ and WBEB. Nevertheless, looking at the ratings, we see that WBEN is doing worse than WISX. But, I think that if WISX really sells their new format (that being a more BEN FM style, with a heavy dosing of late 80's and 90's with some currents thrown in) it could add more interest to WISX and maybe beat out WIOQ for once.

A few reasons I suggest a re-vamped format. WISX is getting bland, because Q102 and B101 have always been staples of Philly radio. Everyone knows their names. But, does WISX have any good branding? Is it even known around the area? Hell, most of us remember it as Smooth Jazz WJJZ. They need to brand themselves better, and make a more interesting format instead of playing the exact same songs as More FM and Q102

I was thinking about this the other day. WISX is being kick in the butt by WIOQ and WBEB. Nevertheless, looking at the ratings, we see that WBEN is doing worse than WISX. But, I think that if WISX really sells their new format (that being a more BEN FM style, with a heavy dosing of late 80's and 90's with some currents thrown in) it could add more interest to WISX and maybe beat out WIOQ for once.

A few reasons I suggest a re-vamped format. WISX is getting bland, because Q102 and B101 have always been staples of Philly radio. Everyone knows their names. But, does WISX have any good branding? Is it even known around the area? Hell, most of us remember it as Smooth Jazz WJJZ. They need to brand themselves better, and make a more interesting format instead of playing the exact same songs as More FM and Q102

Actually, I think Mix is fine as it is.

DavidEduardo can correct me if I'm wrong, but Mix bills fairly well (better than Radio 104.5, which gets stronger ratings), and when paired with sister station Q102, can be used as an effective selling tool between both. (I've also heard cross promotion between the two stations, since demographics overlap). Their playlist is pretty close to the national Hot AC chart, and it doesn't cost them a hell of a lot to run. (Mornings are local, nights7-10 are local. Middays are tracked out of NYC. Afternoons are syndicated. Late night is syndicated, and most of the weekend sounds like it's Premium Choice).

Why try to slice Ben FM's meager ratings even smaller when you have a nice niche wedged between the younger skewing Q102 and older skewing More FM?

Exactly. Ben is doing ok for what it is, and likely makes for a good combo sale with the other GM properties. But no one would need to go in that direction so long as Ben remains. WISX could do better, perhaps, with a bit more in the way of marketing muscle (and they're hardly alone in that regard), but they have their own nice niche going. Like Ben, it's going to be fairly cheap to run as part of a cluster.

You make a good point that we shouldn't mess with Ben's niche. Point well taken.

That may have been the one memorable thing to come out of Electric 106. I actually enjoyed Z106 quite a bit, but clearly was almost alone in that regard.

And now, electric current number one!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom