• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ratings: KRTH Ties for 1st, KTWV Again Top 5

Doesn't anyone under 50 need to know the weather or traffic or how the Dodgers are doing or what's in the news? And don't say the under 50 crowd gets their news from personal devices.

I can't speak for everyone, but as far as I'm concerned, I never have to wait for traffic or weather information from the radio. Both are immediately available on my phone when I need it. Same with sports scores. Same with stock quotes. And I work in the radio business. Radio lost the exclusive on this kind of information a long time ago.

Getting back to David's listing of the 25-54 demos, I find it a bit sad that KFI has sunk to #20. At one time KFI was one of the nation's outstanding Talk stations, scoring in the top 10 in the 25-54 demo. They have tried to create a Talk station that sounds hip and contemporary. Is it being on AM that has caused their decline? Is it that nobody under 50 listens to Talk, whether its on AM or FM?

David tells us KNX only ranks #25 in the 25-54 demo. Doesn't anyone under 50 need to know the weather or traffic or how the Dodgers are doing or what's in the news? And don't say the under 50 crowd gets their news from personal devices. They can get their music from personal devices too. Why isn't that hurting the 19 music stations that rank higher than KFI in the 25-54 demo?

It's true, I can, and often do, get music from personal devices. But I stream almost only when I'm on wifi. I'm not willing to eat up my data plan and pay overage charges. So that leaves me out of luck in many cases. However, I can check news, weather, etc. repeatedly and not have any concern of going over. Speaking as one person, there's nothing spoken word formats offer me that I want which I can't get on my phone, on my schedule, customized just the way I want it.

Cant remember the last time I had to depend on radio stations to give me that kind of info. Smart phones are the BEST!! Mine's an iPhone. MLB At Bat, NFL scores, NHL, NBA its all there Check.. SigAlert app. Check. Yahoo weather app Check.

It's true, I can, and often do, get music from personal devices. But I stream almost only when I'm on wifi. I'm not willing to eat up my data plan and pay overage charges. So that leaves me out of luck in many cases.

Ah yes I forgot to mention since there's few LA radio stations that offer what I like best re. music on the radio, what I do is I record while I'm at home accessing the WiFi on my iPhone 6 from the TuneIn Radio Pro app from REAL radio stations elsewhere and then listen to my heart's delight on my commutes. Only times I might turn on the radio is if I listen to Bill Handel or John & Ken, listen to an Angels game, or other talk. Every now and then I will sample KRTH, KYSR, and KSWD. On the latter I always am amused at which Led Zep song I might catch. So very little data usage, Bob.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom