• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston's talk radio wars! Herald/MEX vs Globe/RKO...

raccoonradio

Walk of Fame Participant
Apparently Jeff Kuhner is "off the rails" this morning on RKO, going after the Herald (Gayle Fee "Gutter Gayle"; Adrianna Cohen being on a dinky little station, etc). Looks like Boston's talk radio (and newspaper) wars are heating up, and "thank God this is a two newspaper town!" We've seen this already with the sports stations and the inevitable articles on the various hosts, who said what, who's making a comeback, who's going away, etc...the Herald and the Globe talk about WEEI and Sports Hub and we get the usual comments from
readers/listeners.
Now apparently Kuhner, heading to the noon slot in the next few weeks, is going after the Herald...as RKO prepares for a morning show in association with boston.com aka the Globe.
So...look for articles in each paper (say, isn't the Herald due for another cover to be featured in the Newseum?) about each station (even though MEX has cut Herald Radio
simulcasts to just two hours a day; BHR re-arranged its lineup yesterday)

Anyway the articles are sure to follow...and in other news, a suspect shot dead in Roslindale and a man in Everett were apparently conspiring to behead a police officer...
but apparently our political talk stations (psst, there are also shows etc on public radio) are at war! That gets the attention :)

The Kuhner Man even took a semi-shot at Howie Carr, including him with Battenfeld as the only worthwhile Herald columnists, but with an "on a good day" qualifier for Carr.

Apparently Jeff Kuhner is "off the rails" this morning on RKO,

How does one tell when Kuhner is "off the rails" I heard him for a short period this morning and he sounded as crazy as he always does. He has just as much distain for the Globe as the Herald and don't think that the upcoming content partnership will effect what the Crazy man says or thinks about New Englands Newspaper of Record. As he always reminds us, he took less money to host the morning show in return for "full editorial control"

However, the Herald opinion of him seems to hurt hard because he believes they should share his far right wing views, I doubt many at the Globe have ever heard of him.

About a year and a half ago, when the Moonie paper was no longer interested in Kuhners column he met with the Editor of the Herald and pitched his services. They took a pass and ever since Kuhner has been banging away at the Big Picture Paper. Meanwhile, the Crazy One and his wife write columns for some obscure website.

Yup I hadn't seen Herald yet but they did plug the Newseum honor which is fairly common but they made a big deal about it.,Just before noon on Herald Radio,also on WMEX and WCRN,Tom Shattuck played bits of Kuhner's anti Herald rants. Calling Adrianna an airhead..at same moment she was interviewing Gov Bobby Jindal,newsworthy, Kuhner was instead in off the rails mode.

Yep the RKO -Globe effort coming;irony:while it doesn't own the Herald,the Globe does print its rival paper. Inane,insane,or just a bit of fun for us to follow..,

Assuming this whole thing wasn't staged or a (very) lame publicity stunt, then I must say 'RKO is making a huge mistake in dumping Rush to make room for Kuhner.

Yeah, sure, it's all about the money and the demos, you'll surely tell me, but this whole thing with Rush's being dumped by 'RKO is a real shame in/of itself. And that many of you on these boards are bashing him needlessly has gotten way out of hand.

Heck, when I criticized on these boards the many stupid programming decisions in local radio made since 2012 I was branded an ignorant outsider who's never managed a radio station, so WTF could I possibly know. Yet it's OK to kick Rush to the curb even though many of you have very likely not listened to him much at all.

:mad:

listening to the first 30 seconds of this kuhner thing and he's railing at adriana about being smeared
what a joke

kuhner is awful, i just don't get how he is employed

@bostonradio hinted in a tweet at a former Ent. employee being part of the new RKO morning show...say, remember the guy who used to be on with Dennis and Callahan...did some soccer games...and he says it on the other board. OK, clue:rhymes with
Peter.

Last edited:
With the Boston Globe expected involvement with the new morning show at WRKO, will Boston Herald Radio try to find another terrestrial radio signal to carry their morning show?

Would the new Talk 1430 be a possible home for BHR in AM drive at some point?

If it costs iHeart nothing, maybe; BHR is on WCRN and WMEX together 10-noon but the morning drive show is still web only as of now of course. And what if Salem does indeed make 1260 an "Answer" station--would they run it instead of their own Bill Bennett? Salem is more concerned with their own ideaology than ratings but if it helps them get noticed (i.e.
"local" talk)... Their Pittsburgh station (WPGP 1250) has the usual Salem talkers but one "local", Rose Tennant formerly of Quinn & Rose/The War Room (which was on WHJJ for a time) so the precedent is there for an Answer to go local in AMD (they still do run Bennett there though, for 2 hrs).

>>Bold and sassy with a razor sharp wit. She is Pittsburgh’s ‘mama grizzly’. Rose Unplugged serves up a fresh brew of politics, faith, and family values. From the serious to the emotional to the hysterically funny, - See more at: http://www.am1250theanswer.com/programguide#sthash.o9Y5WRdF.dpuf

With the Boston Globe expected involvement with the new morning show at WRKO, will Boston Herald Radio try to find another terrestrial radio signal to carry their morning show?

Would the new Talk 1430 be a possible home for BHR in AM drive at some point?

The Boston Globe won't be involved with the program, it will be Boston.com.

They are both owned by John Henry but now operated as separate entities. Like different stations in a radio cluster.

The Boston Globe won't be involved with the program, it will be Boston.com.

They are both owned by John Henry but now operated as separate entities. Like different stations in a radio cluster.

Boston.Com is a joke, the reporting is on the level of a middle school paper, they regularly get facts wrong, and well ...it is just crap

Thank God for civil talk radio like Boston Public Radio on 89.7 FM WGBH with Margery Eagan and Jim Braude and on commercial radio a radio/TV pro Danny Rea on WBZ Radio AM 1030. As someone just posted WRKO and WMEX are in a race to the bottom of the garbage heap.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trashy Tabloid vs. The Boring Broadsheet! On the radio, in fact. This should be a battle you'll wanna forget!

And you wonder what is killing AM Radio. Too many time salesmen who can sell Bufferin or Budweiser but haven't a clue abour programming radio. Last person out turn out the lights, please.
The Trashy Tabloid vs. The Boring Broadsheet! On the radio, in fact. This should be a battle you'll wanna forget!

.......Last person out turn out the lights, please.......

They'll be turning out the lights at the Globe and Herald before the AMs go away. The numbers just don't work for the general interest dailies anymore. Craig's List did to the papers what television was supposed to do to radio back in the 50s. But radio was creative enough and a flexible enough platform to innovate its way into survival. The papers, just by virtue of what they are, have nowhere to go, except out of business.

I take no pleasure in stating the obvious above. I like newspapers and always considered that one of the marks of a 'world-class city" was being a "two newspaper town." But the writing is on the wall. A year downturn in automobile sales will crater half the remaining papers in the US, including either the Globe or the Herald, and maybe both.

........Too many time salesmen who can sell Bufferin or Budweiser but haven't a clue abour programming radio.......

And, not to put too fine a point on it, but why do so many folks on the production side of radio blame the problems of radio on the folks who kept the electricity on?

I'll give you a heads-up...nobody wanted talent and staff to produce the best content possible more than the guys and girls who had to sell it. But, I guess people have to blame somebody, and nobody wants to admit that somebody may have been them.

Regards,
TSB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom