• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Limbaugh, on WOR, lost half of his WABC audience share

It's not just WOR. He's loosing audience all over the place. One factor locally may be changing stations: He lost listeners in Philly when he moved and lost more when he moved back to the station he had left. Maybe Dittoheads don't deal well with change.

Funny that the article quotes Darryl Parks on the causes of talk radio's decline. That's like quoting Sepp Blatter on the problem of sports corruption. Parks now tries to present himself as part of the solution; he's not only part of the problem but a leading cause of the problem.

Limbaugh’s original appeal, perhaps ironically, is that he framed his show as entertainment, not a political jackhammer.

That's the problem, right there. Rush thinks he's influential and therefore powerful. He will wake up some morning and find he's neither - like Gail Wynand.

Pardon another 'duh' moment for me ; I forget which major market station announced that he wasn't going to be renewed. WRKO, maybe ?

For we radio geeks here, who often deal with the symbolism that gets overlooked or ignored by current management, that revelation came on election day 2015.

Politically, you either worship the guy or you consider him the antichrist. Me? Politics notwithstanding, I can't listen to him for any length of time because he hasn't completed a sentence in ten years.

Still, I'm certain that when Rush leaves, whether you regard him as Solomon or as a high-tech Archie Bunker, the AM dial goes with him.

For the record, I didn't agree with him much (occasionally I thought he did have a point) but I still enjoyed listening to him. That was a long time ago. Back when he was an entertainer, and a very good broadcaster. I don't think he's Solomon but he may think he's a king maker. Not high tech; he's in a medium that a little over a century old. Not Archie; Archie never thought he was powerful or important. I'll stick with Gail Wynand. Maybe with a touch of Godfrey (or "Lonesome" Rhodes).

Limbaugh's show isn't good anymore. He plays clips of CNN or MSNBC talking about him, talks to his staff, but you can't hear his staff, and he plugs his children's book and his tea.

I suspect the listeners too closely associate him with the Neo-Conservative wing of the Republican party which had their time. That is not to say there is not a market for Conservative, Libertarian leaning and moderate right talk. It is just that days of which they may associate him with are done, ala the Neocons - Bush, Cheney, Rove, McCain, Graham, etc wing of the party

That could change since the media has been selling the old guard establishment pretty hard and it may eventually stick. If there is no where else to go Rush may get a bump. It is still early yet in the 2016 cycle.

Politically, you either worship the guy or you consider him the antichrist. Me? Politics notwithstanding, I can't listen to him for any length of time because he hasn't completed a sentence in ten years.
Still, I'm certain that when Rush leaves, whether you regard him as Solomon or as a high-tech Archie Bunker, the AM dial goes with him.

Much of the industry seems to agree since many of the attempts to "FM" this stuff has failed.

But I suspect that many of these stations have one more stop along the road to oblivion -it's name is Elmer Gantry AKA: Preachers.

It makes sense. They've been selling lies & snakeoil for years already so why not have one last whack at Grandpa's meager bank account.

LCG

I don't talk radio as a whole is seeing a decline as much as Limbaugh is. He is on at noon, and was the number one host. Not many other hosts have that time slot.

I suspect the listeners too closely associate him with the Neo-Conservative wing of the Republican party which had their time. That is not to say there is not a market for Conservative, Libertarian leaning and moderate right talk. It is just that days of which they may associate him with are done, ala the Neocons - Bush, Cheney, Rove, McCain, Graham, etc wing of the party

That could change since the media has been selling the old guard establishment pretty hard and it may eventually stick. If there is no where else to go Rush may get a bump. It is still early yet in the 2016 cycle.

The last few times I tried to stomach his show (and I was a fan for 20 years, but he just became bitter and angry after Obama was elected), he tried to glomm off the Tea Party. But leopards don't change their spots, and he will always be associated with the now-discredited neocon movement.

He and his show are a relic of the '90s, and the '90s are over. I think he'll retire when his current deal is up at the end of next year.

I think he's in it until at least 2018 to get to 30 years of his national show. He may continue beyond that. Yes. he'll probably make less money, but still would make millions each year. He doesn't have much else to do with himself. He'd love to own an NFL franchise or be involved in sports broadcasting, but his past controversy directly in that regard and in other areas have likely eliminated that as a possibility for him. So he'll make $10M a year instead of $20M. There are worse fates.

Giving the devil his due: He got a raw deal in his brief entree into sports broadcasting. His observation about Donovan McNabb were valid.

Relic of the 90's. It's an older relic than that. Joe Pyne, Bob Grant and others were doing that act in the 60s.

Rush's retirement would give news/talk radio a shot in the arm. He's still seen as the face of the format -- the style by which all talk radio is judged by people who don't bother to seek out the good stuff. There are plenty of hosts out there who don't think news means nothing but politics. They don't sound angry all the time -- to the contrary they sound like they're having fun.

There's been a lot written lately about the shift in talk radio away from politics, but often it's portrayed as a choice between political talk and lifestyle talk. That ignores the huge middle ground of what "news/talk" used to be -- a host discussing the news of the day, be it politics, the economy, technology, consumer affairs, crime, severe weather, entertainment or whatever. Rush started out that way with an emphasis on politics but eventually morphed into nothing but politics.

Aside from the political monotony and maybe as significant, Rush today sounds like a cranky old man. His voice is hoarse and strident -- he sounds like the guy in the nursing home clip at the beginning of Simon & Garfunkel's "Old Friends!"

It's time for Rush to retire and help restore the image of talk radio.

Rush's retirement would give news/talk radio a shot in the arm. He's still seen as the face of the format -- the style by which all talk radio is judged by people who don't bother to seek out the good stuff. There are plenty of hosts out there who don't think news means nothing but politics. They don't sound angry all the time -- to the contrary they sound like they're having fun.

Yeah, we call that fun stuff sports talk.

Outside of that and Rush, there isn't much reason to venture over to the AM band. Outside of sports, talk radio is dead when Rush goes.

maybe but again who is on the bench? not many younger people have the ability to host a talk show without sounding stupid.

you have Dana Loesch.and then Chicks on the Right that could go national....but who else? any men?

Rush's retirement would give news/talk radio a shot in the arm.

Outside of that and Rush, there isn't much reason to venture over to the AM band. Outside of sports, talk radio is dead when Rush goes.

See, you made my point!! To sports-talk fans or music fans who don't listen to talk radio, Rush IS talk radio. When he finally goes maybe people will realize there's more to it than Rush.

Maybe some of the talk show hosts on Fox News Radio such as: KILMEADE & FRIENDS Weekdays 9am-Noon ET, THE JOHN GIBSON SHOW Weekdays Noon-3pm ET,
THE TOM SULLIVAN SHOW Weekdays 3pm-6pm ET. I listened online today at work, and these shows were more interesting than Rush/Beck/Hannity.

http://radio.foxnews.com/fox-news-talk/

There's been a lot written lately about the shift in talk radio away from politics, but often it's portrayed as a choice between political talk and lifestyle talk. That ignores the huge middle ground of what "news/talk" used to be -- a host discussing the news of the day, be it politics, the economy, technology, consumer affairs, crime, severe weather, entertainment or whatever. Rush started out that way with an emphasis on politics but eventually morphed into nothing but politics.

Aside from the political monotony and maybe as significant, Rush today sounds like a cranky old man. His voice is hoarse and strident -- he sounds like the guy in the nursing home clip at the beginning of Simon & Garfunkel's "Old Friends!"

It's time for Rush to retire and help restore the image of talk radio.

Why, because he criticizes Obama? You thought that Rush would like Obama?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom