• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Are there any updates on KWCX, KCDX, KKYZ, KRDX?

I know 2 of those stations have applied to be rimshots, near Tucson, and 2 other ones will be located within Tucson. If these get approved, will this affect Tucson radio ratings? Yes or no?

I meant to say "Is there a website like their sister station KZLZ?".

KZLZ , KWCX and two translators (for KZLZ and KHIL) are owned by KZLZ Inc out of Greensboro, NC. Per the June filing "KWCX-FM RETURNED TO THE AIR FROM ITS LICENSED SITE WITH ITS LICENSED FACILITIES ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON, JUNE 11, 2020."
I was wondering if they were back to literally playing "trucker radio" or they anchored for good in Tanque Verde.

Ted Tucker's Vail station on 104.5 is now plugging a translator on 103.7 for Corona De Tucson. Very likely no other operator could claim that channel.

On 3 March, KZLZ LLC, the ownership group behind the KWCX move-in to Tanque Verde (3kw ERP - Channel 285A), submitted a modification request to the FCC to move the proposed site some 0.95 kilometers to the east from the previously approved location. The FCC application is in "pending" status. There is hardly any difference with the previously proposed signal contour.

Loading the LAT/LON into Google Earth shows the proposed site as a private residence located where the pavement ends on N. Wentworth Rd. The proposed "tower" will be a 14 meter pole with the radiation center at 12 meters using a four-bay, half-wave configuration. The station will still be short-spaced with KZLZ.

Details are here: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f917789162601778cd6a34d024d

Don't worry folks. The home's resident's are protected per the environmental statement :

"Note that the home on the property of the proposed antenna is a one-story rambler-style home. Warning signs will be posted near the 46-foor long vertical supporting pole of the transmit antenna to warn of the radiation hazard near the antenna. "

I wonder if the resident's will hear KWCX on any of their home appliances?

I ran a Longley-Rice calculation on the new KWCX tower site. (Enhanced L-R is more accurate than the FCC API. ) The new site loses between 25,000 and 30,000 people . The numbers make sense as the tower is further east of the central population zone.. Still, that's less than 4% of the predicted contour covering population.. No worries. Just build it!

Last edited:
KWCX is back on the air in Willcox. For many years it has been going silent and then returning. The proposal to move KWCX to Tucson has been in the works for years but it never happens. One likely obstacle is that there is a sports talk translator on 104.9 in Tucson. It relays 1490 A.M. If KWCX materializes in Tanque Verde the translator will be bumped off the air. The translator's former owner, Scripps, likely fought the KWCX proposal. It could be that the translator's present owner, Lotus, doesn't care that much about keeping their translator. In that case the move from Willcox may actually take place.

A translator is a secondary service meaning if a full power station chooses to move and the translator is in the way, the translator goes away or moves to another frequency.

On 4 May the FCC approved the earlier-proposed move of the KWCX tower to a residence 0.95 km to the east of the earlier-approved Tanque Verde site. The residents of the "rambler home" will enjoy those 3kw ERP coming from a ” four-bay, halfwave spaced antenna" with "a radiation centerline of 11.6 meters AGL."

Now build the darn thing!

The residents of the "rambler home" will enjoy those 3kw ERP coming from a ” four-bay, halfwave spaced antenna" with "a radiation centerline of 11.6 meters AGL."

Now build the darn thing!
Ted moves at his pace. 😂

I want to see a photo of the setup once completed.

The KZLZ people behind KWCX can probably quickly erect that transmitter plant , perhaps as a relay of KZLZ itself for East Tucson. Bustos Media has been building out their own Tucson cluster footprint so ultimately KWCX could be LMA'd out in that direction. (Only the county/city building permits would stand in the way.)

Interesting side note suurounds KZLZ''s own translator K277CV (103,3), which sits atop the Tucson studios sending out a massive one watt ERP. The owners submitted a modification request on 29 June, 2020 to change tbe frequency to 105.7 (289D) and emit 60 watts ERP from a southwest mountain ridge thus amplifying the coverage greatly. Perhaps the delay is due to Mexican coordination as the contour will bump up against the 200kHz interference line of XHNES-FM 105.9 FM.

The underlying driver is the KCDX 103.1 move southward towards Tucson.

Here's a picture of tbe KZLZ studio and current K277CV monster tower:

Ted's Vail station on 104.5 is back on the air after being off for at least a month. On June 9 I noticed another Tucker station on 103.7. The ID at 7 p.m. said that the station was licensed to Corona De Tucson. At about 7:01 p.m. the station went off the air, leading to the belief that this will be just about the world's only FM daytimer. Ted's Vail station on 98.5 previously held that distinction but it's been off the air a long time. I believe that the excuse for the sunset sign off is that the station's power comes from solar energy. Ted is exempt from many FCC rules including minimum operating hours.

<...>Ted is exempt from many FCC rules including minimum operating hours.
The lion's share of operators are within the rules, certainly. Yet, there are probably more than a handful that are not. We seem to read this all the time here on the forum, don't we?

Ted got smacked a few years ago for stuff he was (or was not...) doing with some of the other properties. Didn't he actually forfeit a couple of them, due to his malfeasance?

I think that there were quite a few unbuilt construction permits that Ted simply gave up on. Nearly all were in towns that were too small to possibly support a radio station. It appears that Ted had a habit of applying for permits and deciding what to do with them years later. He waited too long to decide. Plus over the years his seemingly bottomless pockets have developed bottoms. That might explain why KKYZ never seems to leave Sierra Vista for the greener pastures of Tucson.

Back
Top Bottom