• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The End " Calling Out" Movin by name.

As I was driving to the Gym this morning, I heard The End run a promo comparing the number of ad units they run in a week to what Movin runs. The end of the promo was something like, "Movin runs 149 minutes of ad per week than we do- Hey Movin, it's not a contest". Sure Direct TV and Comcast do this kind of thing to each other all day long but I can't remember the last time I heard a radio station call another one out by name. I wonder if Movin and The End are really competitors or is this messaging more directed at the advertisers who see them in the same demo for a buy? And while I haven't heard it (yet) one may presume they will be calling out other stations as well.

Well looking into the magic 8 ball KISW and KKWF would be the next two stations to call out on the list. But you know that's not going to happen. If they are taking on Hubbard it would be KRWN. What do you do when your numbers are going well and your selling out of inventory, you make more inventory available. Is KNND having problems selling their current inventory? Would be interesting to compare KISW or KKWF to KNDD as far ad units run. And this is a contest to see who will keep their job.

This tactic violates rule 1 of radio programming: never, Never, NEVER acknowledge the competition.

And as far as an "inventory problem" goes at KNDD - I don't see that as the reason for this move, instead just a positioning strategy (albeit a bad one).

.....I can't remember the last time I heard a radio station call another one out by name......

Movin' did it to KUBE shortly after they signed on the air. Though Movin' used a positive spin, citing percentages of more music they allegedly played over KUBE at the time.

This tactic violates rule 1 of radio programming: never, Never, NEVER acknowledge the competition.

And as far as an "inventory problem" goes at KNDD - I don't see that as the reason for this move, instead just a positioning strategy (albeit a bad one).

Is rule 2 to not play two females back to back?

It's okay to mention another station, but it's gotta be done right. The End ain't doing it right.

Would be interesting to compare KISW or KKWF to KNDD as far ad units run.

Well, here’s a snapshot of # of units ran for Seattle stations last week, broken out by total week and then by prime. Keep in mind, these are units, not minutes, so iHeart stations have more units since they run more :15’s. Doesn’t necessarily mean their breaks are longer. This includes all local, national, barter, network, etc.
Last week was also the final week of TV sweeps, so it was one of the tightest weeks of the year in terms of radio inventory. I know for a fact KISW, KQMV, KRWM, and KZOK were at or near sold out status. I imagine KPLZ, KMPS, KJAQ and KKWF were close to sold out. Those stations not selling their inventory: KHTP and KLCK.

Station Total Spots
KJR-AM 4032
KIRO-AM 3266
KOMO-AM 3198
KTTH-AM 2966
KVI-AM 2851
KFNQ-AM 2810
KIRO-FM 2810
KZOK-FM 2722
KBKS-FM 2693
KKBW-FM 2547
KUBE-FM 2522
KYNW-FM 2455
KJAQ-FM 2438
KJR-FM 2425
KISW-FM 2282
KQMV-FM 2203
KCMS-FM 2190
KMPS-FM 2048
KPLZ-FM 1951
KKWF-FM 1940
KRWM-FM 1782
KLCK-FM 1598
KHTP-FM 1572
KMCQ-FM 1172
KNDD-FM 1067
KIXI-AM 975

Station Wkday Prime Spots
KJR-AM 1522
KKBW-FM 1378
KIRO-AM 1333
KBKS-FM 1294
KUBE-FM 1223
KJR-FM 1204
KOMO-AM 1191
KYNW-FM 1188
KZOK-FM 1097
KTTH-AM 1087
KIRO-FM 1079
KJAQ-FM 1076
KVI-AM 1053
KISW-FM 972
KCMS-FM 968
KFNQ-AM 958
KMPS-FM 903
KQMV-FM 842
KPLZ-FM 835
KKWF-FM 807
KLCK-FM 780
KRWM-FM 757
KHTP-FM 752
KMCQ-FM 548
KIXI-AM 503
KNDD-FM 459

Is rule 2 to not play two females back to back?

It's okay to mention another station, but it's gotta be done right. The End ain't doing it right.
Does anyone remember why you weren't supposed to play two female vocalists back to back? I was told that it was because women didn't want to hear other women!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom