• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AT40 on Houston Radio

rageradio

Star Participant
I've been hooked on the Classic American Top 40 channel on iHeart radio and it got me wondering. I remember as a kid, listening to AT40 on 93Q in the early to mid 80s. I know the show began in 1970. So who carried it here before KKBQ came along?

Good Lord, it's been 35 years now, but if memory serves correctly it was the Big 610. I know for certain it wasn't KNUZ, so I'll wager it all on KILT.

I think you are correct..I can ask Beau Weaver.....I know AT40 was on KAYC in Beaumont (later KAYD FM when it flipped to Top40..in fact, I was the one who shut down KAYD as an AOR that Sunday night.....and did morning drive on KAYD during its Top40 days a few times)....mmmm to be able to do morning drive again on a KAY call station....

BTW 1st AT40 was July 4th, 1970

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was. As a young 'un spending the summer up in Bellville, I know for sure that Austin had AT 40 on K-98 (on FM!). Dallas was 1190 KLIF, and San Antonio was 55 KTSA. Why I'm struggling with the hometown, I'm not sure. 99.9% sure it was KILT. KNUZ was already "Country Fresh" by the mid 70s when I first started playing with the dials, and 79 was AC by the mid 70s, as well. It HAD to be KILT.

Edit to add: IIRC, Galveston had AT 40 on one of its two AMs as well, and I believe it was on the old "Big 14" KILE (now Radio Amistad)

Last edited:
Yep, KILE had a lot of the weekend jocks doing weekday duty at KOLE in Port Arthur as well......(the callsigns were not indicative of same owner...btw....random chance they ended up there)...

3/22/80 to 4/10/82 Hot 94 KRLY
4/10/82 to 5/29/82 104 KRBE
4/30/83 to 7/30/88 KKBQ

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=t...d=0CEoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=hot 94 krly&f=false

8325631_orig.jpg

I remember listening to it in the mid to late 70's on KRBE... not sure how long it was on 104, but did listen pretty regular... IIRC

3/22/80 to 4/10/82 Hot 94 KRLY
4/10/82 to 5/29/82 104 KRBE
4/30/83 to 7/30/88 KKBQ

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=t...d=0CEoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=hot 94 krly&f=false

8325631_orig.jpg
Got to hear this yesterday thanks to Joe (aka 93QClassic)
Cool story, good guy John Lander. Joe did say it was on KRLY. Didn't know KRBE had it for a short time, but then again I didn't listen to KRBE much then. I don't remember it being on KILT in the 70's. We were pretty regular listeners in those day. (well my dad was, so thats all we listened to in the house or car).

Thanks again Joe
and thank you Fort Bend

Last edited:
Good Lord, it's been 35 years now, but if memory serves correctly it was the Big 610. I know for certain it wasn't KNUZ, so I'll wager it all on KILT.

I didn't realize that it had been 35 years since the music died on KILT. I remember the day well. I had a radio in my office tuned to KILT. One day, I turned it on and the station had flipped to country. I took the radio home that afternoon, never had a radio in my office after that. There was no need. KILT was GONE. Thank goodness they left behind some hit music compilation albums. At least we can remember the great station that used to be KILT.

KRLY 93.7 also carried AT-40 during most, if not all, of the 70's.

Couldn't have been all of the 70s, as KRLY didn't become Top 40 until the mid 70s. My earliest memory of 93-7 was as an album rock station called "Y-94". That was in the early to mid 70s. Then it started playing disco. That was '77, maybe '78? Sure thought AT 40 had been on KILT. My older brother was a KLOL listener, & that was it. My father was die-hard KQ 103, and mom was a KIKK girl. Top 40 didn't enter our house until I was listening to the radio, and even then there wasn't as much interest in what was being played, as there was in seeing what else I could pick up on that little transmitter radio. Lol, as long as it wasn't KQUE. I had to listen to way too much Sinatra and Martin as a kid.

I just heard a Classic AT40 this morning from April 10, 1982 and heard Casey welcoming "KRBE Houston (among a few others) to the American Top 40 family"

I just heard a Classic AT40 this morning from April 10, 1982 and heard Casey welcoming "KRBE Houston (among a few others) to the American Top 40 family"

Nice... Where did you hear it? I listen to it on Sunday afternoons on my hometown station, KVPI-FM

The Classic American Top 40 channel on the iheart app. It originates from Austin on KPEZ-HD2. It runs 24/7 playing 70's & 80's countdowns

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom