• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMPS - Now mixing in older country hits from the 1990's and 2k

Forget the book - you along with Kelly and Eric should get together with fordranger797 and school him on Seattle history.

It would not go unappreciated. Ugly lessons are learned when you give a generation Y an account on radio discussions! If you don't believe me, i'm sure my earliest posts on this forum are not hard to find, and I am positive they sound 1,000,000x more idiotic than I do now a'days. (If that doesn't scare you, I don't know WHAT will)

Last edited:
KAYO was 1150 am and had the studio and transmitter on 4th AVE. Had Neon call letters on the tower if I remember right you could see from I5. Wonder shat ever happened to those letters. Johny Cash hand prints in cement at the station entrance on 4th. Was sad to see it melt away. In the mid 80's became KSPL with a format flip.

Last edited:
The neon sign on the tower had stopped working prior to me working there. Ken Williams had just recently put a folded unipole on the tower because the original ground system had been torn up from the incursion of business and age. Even at 5kW day and 1 night from there, that station played pretty well. Ironically, we had a stupid CB radio in the studio with the antenna on the tower, and jocks were expected to answer the thing when some trucker would call.

Remember the custom built Continental transmitter in the hallway outside the studio? Years later when the office building was sold, I just missed putting dibs on that transmitter, but it was scrapped. Not sure what I would have done with it, but it was one of a kind. Now only an old radio guy would appreciate the history, I suppose.

Jessica wanted to sell the station and figured the best way was to move the transmitter to get 5kW night. Ken managed to find the spot in Bellevue swampland, but tried to counsel Jessica that even though 5kW, the directional pattern and the poor ground conductivity in Bellevue would have been a downgrade in coverage. It didn't seem to matter, so they moved to the swamp and the station was sold shortly after for more than it was worth. And Ken was right.. Even at 10kW day and 5kW night, the signal on 1150 was a downgrade.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom