• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

the dentist

I trust the conclusion of that ad hoc survey completely. Surgery center workers as a demo prefer 50s & 60s classics. ;-)

I spent several hours in a surgery center yesterday and while awaiting my turn on the table I got to listen to a small radio in the pre-op room. Mind you, virtually everyone working in that room was between 20-30 years old and most were much closer to 20 than 30. What was the music playing? A collection of 50's and 60's classics.

The defense rests, your Honor.

Who picks the music? Maybe somebody picks it to please the patients who tend to be from that era. But medicine is not a democracy. Usually the surgeons pick the music.

Who picks the music? Maybe somebody picks it to please the patients who tend to be from that era. But medicine is not a democracy. Usually the surgeons pick the music.

No surgeons working that room Oscar. Besides, the average age of the surgeons in that facility is probably close to 40 years of age. Hardly the Oldies demo.

If it's like my dentist's office, it depends on the day of the week. They subscribe to XM and have a schedule... like Monday is 60s, Tuesday is county, or whatever. Different music each day.

He's rude. I don't understand why he deletes harmless posts.

I personally think he's just arrogant. he's got his own corner of the universe, surrounded by his own harem of 'your right mr.allen!' posters afraid of being banned for speaking out, had a hint of fame, and rules the board like an iron fist.

If it's like my dentist's office, it depends on the day of the week. They subscribe to XM and have a schedule... like Monday is 60s, Tuesday is county, or whatever. Different music each day.

It wasn't XM. It was a local AM (The Goldmine 1440). Owned by Mother Hubbard I think.

Just some thoughts ....

We were just in a dentist's office in these parts this past week for the wife. Piped throughout the building was WHLM-FM. They're a Classic Hits station ..... Running With The Shadows of The Night' by Pat Benatar was the only female vocal I heard for an hour. Some of that stuff was pretty noisy. We'll be going back in a few weeks. I have to ask the chief guy there, from Staten Island, if he's heard of or knows Allan Sniffen. If so, maybe the two could do some Dueling Dentist bits on WABC .......

When we were kids, my cousin Paul had an HO model trainset in the basement of his folks house in Massapequa. No one was allowed to go near it unless he was around (probably to moderate :- ) Word was that even his parents had restricted visiting hours.
True about Sniffen running his internet operation with an iron drill.
Hand. With an iron hand. That's his model trainset. Look but don't touch. In fact, be careful even just looking ......

Mark Simone, at least at the start, got some pretty good response when he started that nighttime WABC Oldies show years ago. I don't know how message-board acclaim translates to ratings, but the fellow who began the Saturday Night Oldies Board was -- ta da -- our favorite Demon DJ Of Fleet Street. With WABC no longer interrupting things with Yankee baseball games, perhaps Allan is eyeing Saturday Nights .......

Incidentally, who determined that he actually is * interested * in this venture? Sure; from a business standpoint -- 'the bottom line' -- he probably could recoup some of that $4000 operation ..... some of that 60+ disposable income ..... from things like Act mouthwash, Colgate rinsing mugs, Rite-Aid gauze, Ambesol, precision medical instruments, mirror companies, and maybe even sponsors for some nuclear-powered caramel candy bar or those novelty chattering false teeth that you wind up. But really -- this goofy, uncharacteristic thread , on this rival forum, is based on a premise that might not be genuine ........

No doubt, any such show would be simulcast on Rewound Radio ......

On recommendation, I streamed in Scotty Hart of WLNG for a first-time listen yesterday. Holy Smoke, is THIS guy wound up. The wife and I stopped counting the commercials. I have no clue as to how much WLNG charges for a paid spot (on average) but the barrage kept going all the way to 8 PM, so the station must've brought in a few bucks even if the paid infomercials were glorified sound-bytes. Now I know (sarcasm) that Allan Sniffen enjoys and respects everything that WLNG ever has done ..... and there is a lot of that 200 MPH Scotty Hart fervor in Sniffen's own unique approach to the microphone -- you don't have to put a drill to either one's headset to get either one to talk up a vocal or a jingle, for example. But I think I'd enjoy hearing Dr. John Barron doing a SNO show on WABC. In a way, it would be like witnessing the result of that guy Jackson's reverential remake of King Kong a few years ago.
(Fwiw, the wife and I wound up seeing that film about a week after its release. We were in some multiplex theatre near Bloomsburg. God's truth -- we were the only ones in the theatre for the whole movie! And now the battle between the internet and the newest short-wave dial might continue ? I'm zoned! Gimme my 60+ music radio ! ............. )

For the record:
Classic Hits ain't Oldies
Oldies ain't Standards.
Classic Hits is Gen X.
Oldies is Baby Boomers.
Standards is Depression/WW2
When you were born is the music you grew up with; everything else is noise.

At times, that WHLM-FM stuff roaring through the dental place in Hazleton was more like Classic Rock meets Grunge, Oscar.

I'd place the DMD whose name is on the shingle at about age 50-55 now. He excavated much of my own face about ten years ago. The music variety he opts to use through the corridors in 2015, though, got pretty noisy, even to me. And I wasn't even the patient this time! To each surgeon their own rhapsody ; their own fish-tank ; their own model trainset. I was reading magazines and mischievously drawing gaps between the front teeth of these people on the pages while the wife was shuddering, awaiting her fate, while I was playing air-drill throughout that improbable waiting-room racket.

I personally think he's just arrogant. he's got his own corner of the universe, surrounded by his own harem of 'your right mr.allen!' posters afraid of being banned for speaking out, had a hint of fame, and rules the board like an iron fist.

Couldn't agree more. He's got a topic he started about "too many Internet stations" that reeks of illogical stupidity in a textbook case of elitist bitter jealousy. There's too many books! Too many bands! Too many deli shops! I can do it better, don't even bother kids. He's terribly stuck in the past, clearly doesn't understand free market capitalism or the internet.

LOL, I saw that radio station post too and thought the exact same thing... 'waaahh, so much competition when they could be listening to my stuff that's obviously better.' and then all the yes men started replying ;o).

He thinks he's Bob Grant or Mike Francesa running his message board. My favorite are the posters who say, "Allan, feel free to delete my post if you don't deem it appropriate."

If you liked (read: laughed at) the thread about too many Internet stations, you'll love the thread "Rush Exiting WRKO in Boston." He goes out of his way to pick a fight with a career industry executive who dared to reveal the dentist's ignorance of how the radio business works.

If you liked (read: laughed at) the thread about too many Internet stations, you'll love the thread "Rush Exiting WRKO in Boston." He goes out of his way to pick a fight with a career industry executive who dared to reveal the dentist's ignorance of how the radio business works.

It was more of a draw with some of the logic going to Sniffen's side.

Kasman's points falter when he tries to make the point that some new "savior" for AM is just yet to be found or that people like Opra Winfrey are "it".

The sad reality is that AM radio's current, dwindling audience consists mostly of people who started listening 50-70 years ago. The demos for even the most popular talk shows prove that out and the fact that they have risen steadily over the lest four decades shows that there isn't anything that will turn that around.
Granted that current commercial talk product is "A" problem -even on a "younger" medium such as Fm or cable tv, right wing talk have the same old demos. The technical shortcomings of AM are only one part of it.

LCG

Last edited:

Kasman's arguments are, at best, dated. At their worst, they are full of inaccuracies ranging from how waves propagate to individual station demos, ratings and such.

Sniffen's recent points about AM have been quite accurate and supported by trends, facts and industry opinion.

I abandoned the dentist's board about a decade ago when he started ramping up the heavy handed moderation and poster berating. Sad to see it hasn't improved a bit.

I remember I got banned in the mid 90s and his reasoning at the time was 'im looking out for you and your non existent reputation in the industry and your posts don't fit'...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom