• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music streaming is finally bigger than downloads

Not good news for the music industry, because they make less money on streaming. Therefore, they will turn up the pressure for streaming royalty increases.

I'm going to toss out an observation for all you music experts to ponder:

I am guessing downloads are losing the race because the music consumers of today (let's call them 'Twerps') are looking for the latest, greatest and "coolest" music and are very quick to toss yesterday's hits in the bit bucket. Unlike the Old Days where music classics (all the way from Standards to Metal) continued to be played on several genres of classic music stations. That has yet to happen across the nation with "new" music yet and I'm not sure it will have a market if and when someone tries it out.

In a related, but somewhat disjoint topic, I am continually amazed that American Idol uses so many classic songs in its programming. The audience (mostly made up of Twerps) seems to know most of those songs even as they are not the perfect material for the performers. Were I a performer I would not want to be compared to a very popular artist of yesterday by covering his/her music.

My sense is that just about everything tactile is disposable for Gen Y. Besides music, that includes cars, homes, furniture, and other worldly possessions. People are important. Things are not. Music downloads and CDs are things. The only exception I can see is the phone, and it's because the phone is their connection to people. So if you can enjoy music with your friends, and not be burdened with the weight of that music, either in terms of CDs or the memory they take up, it's all good.

Last edited:
I would wager it's the overall 'free' nature of streaming that makes it popular with Generation Y.

It's not free to the services, but free to many (most?) of the users.

Downloads cost money, unless they're pirated. Streaming doesn't have to cost anything to be free (legally).

I'm going to toss out an observation for all you music experts to ponder:

I am guessing downloads are losing the race because the music consumers of today (let's call them 'Twerps') are looking for the latest, greatest and "coolest" music and are very quick to toss yesterday's hits in the bit bucket. Unlike the Old Days where music classics (all the way from Standards to Metal) continued to be played on several genres of classic music stations. That has yet to happen across the nation with "new" music yet and I'm not sure it will have a market if and when someone tries it out.

In a related, but somewhat disjoint topic, I am continually amazed that American Idol uses so many classic songs in its programming. The audience (mostly made up of Twerps) seems to know most of those songs even as they are not the perfect material for the performers. Were I a performer I would not want to be compared to a very popular artist of yesterday by covering his/her music.

You were doing fine until you inserted (let's call them 'Twerps'). Congrats on blowing your credibility. Again.

Last edited:
It's not free to the services, but free to many (most?) of the users.

That's the problem. It promotes music as free. That's the wrong message. If you want to hear music done your way, you should pay for it.

Thus the music industry is opposed to free ad-supported streaming, and is encouraging streamers to offer it as a paid subscription service.

That's the problem. It promotes music as free. That's the wrong message. If you want to hear music done your way, you should pay for it.

Thus the music industry is opposed to free ad-supported streaming, and is encouraging streamers to offer it as a paid subscription service.

Are they opposed to radio too? I don't see how they can have it both ways.

i find that not true at all, the kids today have very poor communication skills....and they only text.....can you a actually hold an intelligent conversation with a 20 year old today.... do you know of any that could host a radio show?

People are important. Things are not.

Last edited:
You were doing fine until you inserted (let's call them 'Twerps'). Congrats on blowing your credibility. Again.

Do you feel the same way when some people on RD refer to older demos using the term "geezers"?

Last edited:
I've had both real, and online convos with 20 year olds (and younger people than that) and they are capable of communicating effectively.

There are some younger people communicating in text-ese, though. But you mostly see that in comments on FB, instagram, etc.

I've had both real, and online convos with 20 year olds (and younger people than that) and they are capable of communicating effectively.

Try talking with an average young adult from the UK, Ireland or Scandinavia (and bear in mind that English is not their first language) and then compare that conversation to one with various Americans. You will notice a phenomenal difference. There is even a greater difference, and not a pleasant one, in their respective writing skills.

Were not in as much trouble as you think. Many 20 year olds communicate effectively. The only difference between now and then is the dumb ones can immerse themselves in texting.

Were not in as much trouble as you think. Many 20 year olds communicate effectively. The only difference between now and then is the dumb ones can immerse themselves in texting.

The first word of your post illustrates the problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom