• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How does Audio Vault work compared to an older (and perhaps more simple) program

If you're referring to turning "&" off, then maybe. I haven't had the need to do so, as my jocks just hit it with the mouse when they need it. Remember, you can turn it off way ahead of time, say 5 or six elements before you need to stop. Just do it on the element you don't want to autostart. The start button on the board would be the same as hitting Start Next, which automatically turns Auto Segue on.

If you're referring to turning "&" off, then maybe. I haven't had the need to do so, as my jocks just hit it with the mouse when they need it. Remember, you can turn it off way ahead of time, say 5 or six elements before you need to stop. Just do it on the element you don't want to autostart. The start button on the board would be the same as hitting Start Next, which automatically turns Auto Segue on.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have gotten used to activating start next, manual mode, and stop remotely from the board, so it'll take some getting used to. When things get hectic in the studio, it would be handy to be able to plan ahead for a break with a click of a mouse.
Thanks for the great info, Bill! You've been extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Re: ID. I'm not remembering a reference to +- 5 minutes. In the old days there was a 2 minute window. Doesn't the rule say something like "as near as practicable to the top of the hour, between program offerings"?

Re: automation systems. Most seem to have evolved into similar products due to customer demand. We have iMediaTouch and have similar screens.

Re: multiple outputs. Most of the time, two outputs are all that are needed, one for music and spots, another for jingles and liners. With three outputs, one can choose to alternate between the files and still have a separate pot for jingles... I would think most current broadcast automation systems would have this flexibility. My jocks like two pot approach because it's simple, with ability to drag and drop from jingle box to on-air schedule...

Your rule quote is accurate. Some PDs seem to think burying it in the 50 break meets the rule. The Commission thinks a "natural break" would be between two songs. Of course, you wouldn't have to interrupt a live speech or an opera broadcast (do they still have those?) or a sporting event, just wait until the "natural break", usually announced.

Hi everyone-
I spoke with someone who is well acquainted with AudioVault (and other current software) who was nice enough to provide some additional information about using the program. Mapping multiple channels on the board to the software now makes perfect sense to me. I think it's more of a "no brainer" if you were around in the era of cart tapes when you could easily start different tracks and jingles when you wanted to and play them over each other (Again, before my time). With that in mind, I unfortunately did not get around to asking one key question that has been stumping me, and I'm positive that you guys will have an answer:

1. Is there any benefit in mapping sophisticated software (like AudioVault) to only ONE channel on the board instead of multiple channels? It appears that there are stations that do indeed do this, and I'm not sure why. Assuming that the board has enough channels, it seems like it would make sense to give the on-air talent the ability to start different events quickly and easily, or play a promo for a show over the intro of a song. Unless you still have the ability to conveniently click-start certain events in live-assist mode with a mouse when the program is mapped through one channel, it seems like it would not sound nearly as tight.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you once again for all of your assistance.

Last edited:
I do have all audio card channels on individual mixer channels... for the reason you gave. I have three "decks" that play in rotation according to the log, and one that's independent for the QuickStarts and cue. The operators keep the channel in cue except when they want to play one of the QS buttons.

Because of the deck rotation, mapping individual mixer on buttons to specific decks can cause more problems than it would solve, unless your're running strictly in LIVE mode. Then it would indeed feel like a 3-high cart machine. Decks must be manually loaded. In Live Assist, it'll load the decks according to the log.

If you PM me, I'll give you my phone number and we can discuss.

Bill

Some stations prefer to keep the automation on one pot for a number of reasons, including saving input channels and making things easier on the jock. The "tightness" of the mix doesn't matter if it's on one pot or multiple pots, even if the jock controls his own segues.

I do have all audio card channels on individual mixer channels... for the reason you gave. I have three "decks" that play in rotation according to the log, and one that's independent for the QuickStarts and cue. The operators keep the channel in cue except when they want to play one of the QS buttons.

Because of the deck rotation, mapping individual mixer on buttons to specific decks can cause more problems than it would solve, unless your're running strictly in LIVE mode. Then it would indeed feel like a 3-high cart machine. Decks must be manually loaded. In Live Assist, it'll load the decks according to the log.

If you PM me, I'll give you my phone number and we can discuss.

Bill

That makes sense, Bill. Thank you for the info. If I happen to have other questions I will PM you :)

Some stations prefer to keep the automation on one pot for a number of reasons, including saving input channels and making things easier on the jock. The "tightness" of the mix doesn't matter if it's on one pot or multiple pots, even if the jock controls his own segues.

I used to do my own segues on Pristine, but the software would occasionally freeze up.

I used to do my own segues on Pristine, but the software would occasionally freeze up.

That's because the Pristine app you're using isn't designed to allow manual segues. It's either automation on or off. There is live assist functionality in that system but whoever installed it decided to use the automation module instead.

That's because the Pristine app you're using isn't designed to allow manual segues. It's either automation on or off. There is live assist functionality in that system but whoever installed it decided to use the automation module instead.

That would be a handy feature when trip cues don't work as they should.

The set-up is often determined by the format and whether there is a need to control mixing levels. Music formats typically assign the playout to several board channels. Talk formats often assign to one or two board channels (log on one channel, "cart machine" on second).

Last edited:
The set-up is often determined by the format and whether there is a need to control mixing levels. Music formats typically assign the playout to several board channels. Talk formats often assign to one or two board channels (log on one channel, "cart machine" on second).

Multiple channels for play-out makes the most sense to me. Make it easier for the air talent to run their own transitions remotely.

Using multiple channels for play-out most closely mimics the old days. Each turntable and cart machine had its own pot on the board. During periods of unattended operation, just leave the playout channels on and up. During live, simply run the board the "old" way.

If every third element is silence, have the offending jock go back to the station and turn that pot up, like he/she should have left it!

Using multiple channels for play-out most closely mimics the old days. Each turntable and cart machine had its own pot on the board. During periods of unattended operation, just leave the playout channels on and up. During live, simply run the board the "old" way.

Agreed. I've never worked anywhere with that setup but I would much like to. I also like how you can overlay a station promo/morning show promo/liner right over a song. I'm not positive, but I don't think there is any easy way to do that with older software. I was going to try and produce some liners and see if they would work with an early-set trip cue.

Last edited:
The AV VT function would allow an automatic overlay. Just put the audio you want overlaid in the VTK category. The voicetrack editor would allow sliding the tracks for perfect alignment. Our traffic is automatically ingested during drive times into the VTK category. When the intro starts, the sec tone is positioned to fire the report, which will start, automatically duck the bed and play both. The bed is a little shorter than the report so the report end will fire the next event.

The AV VT function would allow an automatic overlay. Just put the audio you want overlaid in the VTK category. The voicetrack editor would allow sliding the tracks for perfect alignment. Our traffic is automatically ingested during drive times into the VTK category. When the intro starts, the sec tone is positioned to fire the report, which will start, automatically duck the bed and play both. The bed is a little shorter than the report so the report end will fire the next event.

That's pretty clever. I sometimes like to play clips, and I usually end up playing the clip through Adobe Audition manually instead of having the computer gauge it for me. That is a really nice feature.

I'm more use to a different system, but it can be set up either way. Having worked with it since around '03, I normally set it up for a single fader if it's not (or almost never) used in a live-assist mode. I'll put the individual play decks on their own faders in a live-assist scenario for reasons already mentioned here. On many boards, the "on" button can be programmed to fire off the corresponding deck, simulating a multi-cart player. Either way you choose, there are pros and cons, so it's basically a matter of what works best for you.

For a fully-automated, walk-away station, I'll normally use one fader with some kind of addressable bypass, so the automation can be routed around the board if necessary.

I'm more use to a different system, but it can be set up either way. Having worked with it since around '03, I normally set it up for a single fader if it's not (or almost never) used in a live-assist mode. I'll put the individual play decks on their own faders in a live-assist scenario for reasons already mentioned here. On many boards, the "on" button can be programmed to fire off the corresponding deck, simulating a multi-cart player. Either way you choose, there are pros and cons, so it's basically a matter of what works best for you.

For a fully-automated, walk-away station, I'll normally use one fader with some kind of addressable bypass, so the automation can be routed around the board if necessary.

Good info! Thank you. Hopefully I'll be employed somewhere that uses a system like that eventually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom