• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFI Tim Conway "What the Hell did Jessie Jackson Say" Racist?

Thats a good question, I don't have any idea who the entertainer of color on KFI was, but I will take a stab in the dark: Stepin Fetch?

KFI has a dubious history of employing people of color. In fact until a Black Lesbian took them to task over nasty comments about the late Whitney Houston, they had no Black or other minority broadcasters. Since this woman took them to task they have notably hired a number of Hispanic and Black broadcasters. Here is a video of KFI getting schooled on diversity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNq3AcZjCYo

What an asinine comment. I suppose KOST 103, has the same "dubious history" as well?* What if their intended audience is (GASP!!) White People? Maybe white people like to hear other white people, just like "colored" people who listen to KRRL, KPWR, and KJLH might want to hear other people of "color"? Maybe, just maybe, they like broadcasting to white people and using white DJs to do so. I am sure that is not their reason, but even if it was, there no law against that yet that I am aware of. In this country, you are still free to hire whomever you want.

Since you are so into skin colors and diversity, why don't you "school" the owner of KJLH about their meaning and how many white people he should have working at his station. Beware, the conversation could get a little tricky for you, because you see, he is blind. Literally.

*oops, just gave him another fresh idea for a station to troll. My bad.

Last edited:
OK – no takers on the trivia question?

The answer is Frisco Nick, a black song and dance vaudevillian from San Francisco. He headlined a gala at Grumman’s theater on Broadway in Los Angeles. The occasion was the merger of KFI with some other stations with which it had ben sharing frequencies. KFI had acquired the most powerful transmitter General Electric had at the time. .

Not too much is known about Nick, but black music historian Thomas C. Fleming, also a writer for the Sun-Reporter, San Francisco’s African-American weekly, described seeing him onstage for http://www.sfmuseum.org/

“In 1924, a musical revue that starred Mamie Smith, the great blues singer, had a long run in San Francisco. After closing, it toured some cities in the Sacramento Valley, including Chico, where it appeared at the Majestic for two nights. I attended both nights, fascinated with a show of that size playing in the hick towns. Chico had a tiny black population, so most of the audience was white.

The cast, which was all black, included Smith, an orchestra of about eight pieces – saxophone, clarinet, piano, drums, trumpet, trombone, banjo — a chorus line of maybe six girls, all good-looking, and a number of comedians.
One I recall with pleasure was Frisco Nick, who staged a hilarious dance while he sang ‘Three O’Clock in the Morning,’ a great waltz hit, with a broom as his partner. Except for Smith, the entire cast was from the San Francisco Bay Area.

In January of 1921, Mamie Smith's Crazy Blues on Okeh Records reached #3 on the Billboard sales chart. She is believed to be the first black woman to record a blues song.

I wonder if TeaPartyDude remembers in the mid-1960s when black DJ Larry McCormick was playing the Beach Boys and Sonny & Cher on top-40 station KFWB and white DJ Hunter Hancock was playing Solomon Burke and Little Milton on r&b station KGFJ.

Oh come-on folks, it is just a little good natured bigotry between friends.

Just like that degenerate with the bad toupee and fake name "Bob grant" who would cue monkey noises when a black caller actually got through the screener. After hanging up his coda would be "ahh, throw him a banana"

then we have the bloated drug addict Limbaugh who makes his fortune (and a big one at that) with soft-core bigotry and "liberal" doses of lies and slander.

Whenever I've confronted people who work in that miserable basement of the industry they always run for the "it's just entertainment" ruse.

Well, wear your Sunday best. the reaper is at the door.

LCG

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom