• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

April Ratings- Atlanta

Nothing really out of the ordinary, but here are some observations:
- I know basketball isn't usually a big ratings mover, but the Hawks push to the playoffs couldn't help The Game one bit? Maybe their actual playoff games will help in next month's edition.
- While the topic is on sports, the Braves (yes, they're not expected to accomplish much) really isn't helping Cumulus from a ratings standpoint, either.
- WYAY is now trailing the little translator on 97.9. Is there really that much money in being a distant backup to WSB?
- Finally, while looking at the demo breakouts, I noticed that Q usually beats Power in 25-54 and 18-49, yet Power has been beating Q in 6+ all year. They must be killing Q in the under 18 crowd (or I suppose they could be winning the 55-death demo, haha).

Your thoughts?

Nothing really out of the ordinary, but here are some observations:
- I know basketball isn't usually a big ratings mover, but the Hawks push to the playoffs couldn't help The Game one bit? Maybe their actual playoff games will help in next month's edition.
- While the topic is on sports, the Braves (yes, they're not expected to accomplish much) really isn't helping Cumulus from a ratings standpoint, either.
- WYAY is now trailing the little translator on 97.9. Is there really that much money in being a distant backup to WSB?
- Finally, while looking at the demo breakouts, I noticed that Q usually beats Power in 25-54 and 18-49, yet Power has been beating Q in 6+ all year. They must be killing Q in the under 18 crowd (or I suppose they could be winning the 55-death demo, haha).

Your thoughts?

The real doozy is NASH ICON with an 0.1 share, at the bottom of the list. Obviously Cumulus wants the format on the air in Market #9, and that's it.

Also interesting is IHeartChannel's ESPN Deportes translator beating WGST (but it's not like WGST's going anywhere...)

WYAY cannot compete in the true "NEWS" category. Period. There is NO WAY that their morning show with Steve McCoy
can go up against the WSB news monster. Steve is great at what he does, but his show cannot be considered "news" in the absolute definition of "news". Steve is an entertainer. Somewhat like the Kimmer. WYAY might as well go "all talk" and stop trying to be a "news" station. Just look at the declining ratings. If you truly want NEWS in the morning, WSB is the only choice on the Atlanta radio dial.

WYAY cannot compete in the true "NEWS" category. Period. There is NO WAY that their morning show with Steve McCoy
can go up against the WSB news monster. Steve is great at what he does, but his show cannot be considered "news" in the absolute definition of "news". Steve is an entertainer. Somewhat like the Kimmer. WYAY might as well go "all talk" and stop trying to be a "news" station. Just look at the declining ratings. If you truly want NEWS in the morning, WSB is the only choice on the Atlanta radio dial.

WGST will always be the News Monster.

1837842.jpg

Or a real alternative station like WKQX in Chicago which is owned by Cumulus. But plain and simple, Cumulus sucks in making decisions.

.....And WKQX doesn't reflect the majority of Cumulus alternative stations either. Sorta like Channel 933 in Denver doesn't reflect the majority of the cookie-cutter alternative stations produced by IheartMedia.

You won't see another alternative station in Atlanta. If you do, I personally would like to see it on 94.1 and produced by Entercom but I don't think that will happen.

I do note that X107 is sounding better (playlist wise) but their signal is still God awful.

I use to get so annoyed with all the "bring back greatest hits" folks on this board but hell, after the continuous dismal ratings on 1067, you can add me to the "bring back greatest hits" boat. What a joke.

Is cumulus getting butt hurt in every format??? WOW! What a joke.

Automate Atlanta's Greatest Hits on 106.7. End the loss of money!

.....And WKQX doesn't reflect the majority of Cumulus alternative stations either. Sorta like Channel 933 in Denver doesn't reflect the majority of the cookie-cutter alternative stations produced by IheartMedia.

You won't see another alternative station in Atlanta. If you do, I personally would like to see it on 94.1 and produced by Entercom but I don't think that will happen.

I do note that X107 is sounding better (playlist wise) but their signal is still God awful.

Yes! X107.1 is slightly worse than Radio 105.7! But why does Atlanta lack strong, quality stations within the Metro and Surrounding areas? You don't find this the case in big markets like Washington, Denver and Charlotte. Why does Atlanta radio suck so bad?

Yes! X107.1 is slightly worse than Radio 105.7! But why does Atlanta lack strong, quality stations within the Metro and Surrounding areas? You don't find this the case in big markets like Washington, Denver and Charlotte. Why does Atlanta radio suck so bad?

Here is your answer to why Atlanta Radio is so bad: They are all afraid of Cox. WSB 95.5, WSB FM 98.5 and the entire Cox lineup is powerful and they are all scared to go after the big boy. Been that way since the 1960's....and it will continue as long as Cox pours money into their radio operations in Atlanta.

The Atlanta market is very tight and protective - so afraid to change that it will protect bad stuff. We are desperate for a station to be bold enough to take chances; yet, fickle enough to jump all over it when it does. This atmosphere creates just enough unneeded stress in Atlanta radio to take the fun out of it - and it shows.

At least WYAY is trying in a market where heritage demands Cox/WSB and demographics demand Urban. Hopefully they're billing enough to not be unreasonably concerned about a perceived lack of service.

Do you think WYAY would be a hit in Washington, Denver or Charlotte?

That's a good question. I think Cumulus has used some of what they learned at WYAY with WMAL in DC. It help bring back what was a dying station.

They got better ratings as a news/talk than CBS got with all news WNEW-FM competing against #1 all news WTOP.

Cave Man may be correct but ratings wise, Radio 105.7 (iheart) is stomping all over X107. Of course, I honestly think signal has something to do with this.

Alex, I'm not saying Atlanta radio is not bad but many of those locations you gave (excluding Denver) is just as horrible. DC101 which is DC's alternative station is basically an active/alternative hybrid and very broad base (not adventurous). You want to see a market that "rocks", literally? Look at Kansas City. The city has a Classic Rock, Active Rock, and Alternative station and all three are amazing. Want to know the difference? With the exception of the classic rock station, both the active and alternative station is owned my Entercom. In terms of radio formats, iheartmedia is very hits based. So yes, iheart does a good job with CHR, Hot AC, Hip Hop, and even Classic Hits (though CBS is better for Classic Hits) - But when it comes to more less mainstream music you don't hear in every club or American Idol - Iheart sorta fails. So why does iheart do so well in Atlanta? Because Atlanta is a very hit based city. When I say 'hit', I'm not just talking CHR. The Bull, for example, is much more repetitive and restrictive than Kicks. Familiarity wins though. Power vs Q100 is another example - Both are turn and burn formats by design but Power is even more restrictive and familiar and it's also number one. Radio 105.7 is very hit based playing lots of recurrents and 90s alternative/rock music that everyone knows (including my mother) - Meanwhile, X107 is mainly new alternative music which is anything but mainstream. Guess which station is number one under alternative?

The problem could be Atlanta and the demographics or the iheart media. That is up for debate.

Oh and while I do think Atlanta needs a Classic Hits/Variety Hits station - Why Cumulus didn't make 106.7 alternative instead of all news is beyond me. Perfect location with a signal that gets both Atlanta and Athens. Athens is left out by both of the current alt stations we have right now.

The problem is that there is a lot of repetition in the Atlanta market. And it shows through the ratings.

Star didn't move. Power had a slow couple of books. And I think the problem with Atlanta radio is not answering to much demand with a few of of its stations. How do you explain the current situation, hole that 106.7 is in? And 98.9? It's Cumulus, not iHeart = problem. Quit the billing crap, give what people want to listen to!

I'd like to see Entercom come in (if it will actually happen) and give Atlanta a "fresh" new look of how people *should* listen to radio.

Last edited:
The Atlanta market is very tight and protective - so afraid to change that it will protect bad stuff. We are desperate for a station to be bold enough to take chances; yet, fickle enough to jump all over it when it does. This atmosphere creates just enough unneeded stress in Atlanta radio to take the fun out of it - and it shows.

At least WYAY is trying in a market where heritage demands Cox/WSB and demographics demand Urban. Hopefully they're billing enough to not be unreasonably concerned about a perceived lack of service.

Demographically speaking, Yes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom