• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

National EAS tests

All I've seen is your slant/opinions, probably based on some sort of bitterness toward the business, but no facts or statistics to back it up.
Well, then, you've only been reading what you want to read.
I've read and re-read this thread, and Kelly's observation is correct. Your posts have been more opinion than fact. You have cited no measurable or confirmable statistics to back up your points, and your overall tone has been one of anger toward the industry.

In fact, it appears that you immediately seized upon this thread (a whole 32 minutes after its creation!) to use it as a cover for your own personal distaste of what has happened since consolidation in terms of station staffing, cluster operation, and the like. It takes very little reading between the lines of your posts to see this.

It is therefore quite clear that none of the actual facts presented in rebuttal are going to have any impact on your mindset, and your latest retort as quoted above leads me to the conclusion that the thread needs to be closed.

Greed is fine when it's regulated into serving the public. That used to be the case. Now... not so much. The intentional deregulation of the industry and cuts to its regulatory agency? That's the problem.

I have a fundamental issue with the idea that making money is necessarily "greedy".

"Greed" in business usually comes as a product of monopolistic practices, which do not exist in radio. There are no examples of using methods such as predatory pricing or price gouging as radio rates are generally set by market forces... agency CPP goals in big markets and local economics in smaller ones.

The cutbacks of the last 6 to 8 years are more due to the recession (wouldn't you cut if 40% of your revenue disappeared in one year?) and new competition, coupled with a long term overpopulating of the dial in most markets, large and small.

That said, your definition of "serving the public" seems to be different than that of many of the rest of us. Having a station that plays music I enjoy serves me. Lengthy talks about the state of higher education in the area don't. The FCC thought that news and public affairs and the always confusing "Other" category were what constituted service. Listeners think that a fun morning show and good music the rest of the day are service.

Traditional service elements like traffic and news have been preempted by new media. I can get user-specific traffic on Waze and news from local and national sources tailored to my interests from many sources. "Serving the Public" does not mean all things to all people, and what was service when the FCC was created is likely the exact opposite today.

The bigger and better radio stations consult with their listeners frequently via formal research to find out what they want. Small town broadcasters have considerable direct contact with the community and the listeners. So there is no lack of awareness of what folks want. And the traditional, FCC-based, definition of "service" is really not high on the public's agenda.

Of course, many of us have determined that the inclusion of references to local happenings and events and information is a valuable competitive tool and good for our stations. But the way we do it, mixed in with morning show patter and such, would never have qualified for the FCC content standards.

Last edited:
The cutbacks of the last 6 to 8 years are more due to the recession (wouldn't you cut if 40% of your revenue disappeared in one year?) and new competition, coupled with a long term overpopulating of the dial in most markets, large and small.

By the way, those cutbacks are affecting everything, not just radio. If you smell gas in your house late at night, and call the gas company, you'll get a recording, not a live operator. It will take an hour to get to the right person, and by then, your house could have exploded. Doctors don't answer their phones at all hours. They have answering services. My doctor's service simply tells you to call 911. And cities are cutting back on 911 services. This idea that services are staffed 24/7 is pure mythology. Local governments are consolidating so that police and fire services aren't necessarily local 24/7. Sometimes, your call will roll over to a regional emergency service, and the fire company or policeman could be coming from 50 miles away. This is the context of emergency services that involve more than just radio.

My point in originating this thread, was not to indict the entire radio industry, or EAS as a viable warning system.
My original question: should the existing monthly EAS tests be national in scope? That's all...

I want to come back to the 'greed' and offer something the poster who seems to imply greed is why the EAS did not fire off that night in Minot. The poster claims radio experience and I believe the poster but I question how expansive that experience is. I worked on the air, in programming and finally sales before management. I was lucky. I got to see radio from both sides. That doesn't make me an expert but it does say I know radio from both sides of the business and I live that every day for my paycheck and have for a bit shy of 40 years which in radio years means back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I cannot use the station I manage now, but at one station we billed just north of $400,000 a year. I used to scratch my head on what the owner claimed the monthly bills were before payroll. It took $24,000 a month plus payroll if there were no problems. I learned that when he offered me a few extra bucks to do postings for the station as tax time neared. To be honest, I thought those figures were inflated greatly by about $10,000. Boy, was I wrong.

Consider property taxes alone on 12 acres. The neighboring acreages are priced at $ per square foot. There are city, state and county taxes on everything you can imagine and then some things you'd never think of (security alarm tax so police respond, a sign tax, business license tax, etc.). Don't forget annual fees to the FCC, music licensing fees and such. Don't forget your employer matches your Social Security share and gets to pay a tax that goes in to a fund to make sure the unemployed can get their unemployment check even if you never had any claim (think paying school tax when you have no children). t's really easy to nickel and dime your way to bankruptcy. I paid $750 every other week to get the tower site mowed 5 months a year. It was the best bid I could find under 4 figures. Our rent where our studio and part-time employee is runs $2,000 a month. My part-timer is $1,600 a month. My contract engineer is $2,000 a month. I'm the full time guy, the manager, but really the everything 7 days a week, no vacation guy. Sure I can take days off but the phone and the laptop go with me. I managed to turn a profit but lightning strikes, replacing an AC unit and stuff like that probably had the annual profit down to an insignificant number. You can tell I was really rolling in the bucks as manager, not. In fact, I had to let a full timer go and a weekender go when the economy tanked and we had to learn how to live on $10,000 less a month. I went from a 5 day week to 7 and an 8 hour day to about 12 to 14. Sure, there's some play time in those hours because I searched until I found a way to do that and maintain my sanity.

My point is greed is not in our vocabulary and almost all stations are in much the same shape, even the big boys except they have it easier because their successful stations can help the struggling.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion America is over-radioed. In fact, I think it is much more than that, it is over-saturated with media competition. In other words, you take 4 companies that each need 5,000 customers to meet their operations model in a market of 10,000 potential customers. Those four try to gain what they can and live within their means.

How many cable TV choices are there? Is it about 250 channels? How do you get a marketable share big enough for advertisers to want to buy? Have you noticed so many cable networks play the same few episodes on an almost constant loop for a week? They do that because they can trim program acquisition fees and lower operating costs in hopes they'll attract enough viewers who tune in for a few hours a week to turn a profit. And the reality shows are everywhere because they are so much cheaper to produce. After all, their customers don't have the budgets they once did, so they're forced to concentrate on this instead of the more expensive shows.

Funny, I hear no mention of TV stations or cable companies failing to have warm bodies on hand in the middle of the night. Did the Minot cable TV system or the town's broadcast TV stations do what radio did not do? Why aren't these EAS participants included?

Another point: EAS is voluntary. You volunteer or you don't get a license. That is the plain truth.

One point I have not mentioned is the big box store. In smaller cities like Minot's 40,000 population, when the Home Depot or Lowes comes to town, they don't buy radio unless it is a major market. That local and strong Building Supply or Appliance Store starts hurting and their ad dollars go to a trickle. When CVS, Walgreens or other chain pharmacy comes to town, the local regular advertiser pharmacy starts hurting and spends less. And that Walmart SuperCenter hurts the local regular advertiser too. In Minot, these nation chains buy zero local advertising. Those dollars get spent in the big market and that big market grabs all the dollars leaving nothing on the table for the ADI (Area of Dominant Influence or surrounding counties included as associated with that market...When I was in Del Rio, Texas, we were part of the San Antonio ADI even though San Antonio was 150 miles away). So, places like Minot are not seeing increases in local advertising spending but decreases. Take a road trip through once thriving towns with more boarded up storefronts than open stores. You can trace some of that to better transportation and then better prices at the big national chain in the next town.

I'll give you an example: I was in one 30,000 town where we brought in about $45,000 a month in 1980 not adjusted for inflation. This was for a daytime AM with separate programming from the fulltime FM. We had about a 40 share on the FM. Still the dominant station 30 years later, it was forced to simulcast AM & FM since it couldn't afford to do separate programming on both stations, dropped the news department and was billing $16,000 but was live and local 6am to Midnight. Why? First, more stations in town, a local TV station, two more newspapers, lots of national chains and the fact format choices are more splintered than ever before meaning finding common ground to reach the masses is really tough. Breakeven was $18,000 and I got it up to $17,500 by the time I left but when the competitors were charging as low as $1 a spot, it wasn't easy.

So, I offer the above real life facts. Sometimes we need some real life because things get so cluttered with information skewed in ways to make you think otherwise. For example, when Walmart shut 5 stores, the real reason was they were losing money at those locations. It had nothing to do with FEMA camps or getting back at protesters wanting a pay raise. If you have a place making money, you don't stop that money flow to try to financially hurt some protesters, you keep bringing in the money. Sewage problems? I doubt that but I wouldn't be surprised to see such work done. A sewage problem is better PR than we were losing money and shut these locations down. And I love Alex's creative talent...FEMA camps at Walmarts. I'm not trying to belittle anyone here just trying to show how easily things can be made out to be exactly what they are not.

Last edited:
My point in originating this thread, was not to indict the entire radio industry, or EAS as a viable warning system.
My original question: should the existing monthly EAS tests be national in scope? That's all...

That's a good question. My answer is they should be national AND local, but that would require each state DHS office to originate a test.

Radio is licensed & regulated by the federal government, so national tests are easy to do. Requiring state or local tests might be viewed as outside the role of the federal government. It depends on the relationship that exists between the federal and state DHS. I have no idea how that works. Obviously in the case brought up in this thread, a local test might have prevented the problem, and seems to me that was mentioned during the investigation.

I am not sure we need a national monthly test as it was done. I contend equipment is more reliable than decades ago. The chain, versus the equipment seemed to be the bigger issue (not what was the test but how it was delivered). A monthly national test actually tests the equipment more than the way the chain works. I think we need the chain to be worked out and that needn't include testing the equipment as the current required weekly test does that already.

Obviously there are some serious issues coming from our first ever national test under the EAS system. Here in my market it was unintelligible. You got the message about 3 or 4 times each starting a second or so after the other to the point you couldn't make it out. In addition tones and chirps mingled with the audio message to distort things further. Once we can work that out *the source and chain) then a national test is likely a good idea just so we can know it can work the way it should. That might mean another few thousand laid out by each station for an all now and improved EAS box.

As I recall, participation was pretty impressive, so that part (the equipment at the receiving end) seemed to do what it was supposed to do.

Re Minot:

Read this letter, submitted for the record by Clear Channel in 2010, for a few inconvenient facts.

A few things I'll point out:

1. Local authorities had changed the frequency of their emergency radio channel without informing the EAS primary station, so their feeble attempt to activate EAS failed, due to circumstances of their own making.

2. They then tried to use EBS (which was superceded by EAS five years previous and a good two years before Clear Channel owned the Minot stations) and were somehow surprised that EBS no longer worked.

3. They did not exhaust all possibilities for activation of EAS by failing to contact the state emergency message entry point in Bismarck, explaining it away by saying they didn't think they could use the national warning system hotline, which is not the same thing.

4. The authorities then contributed to the problem of the lone station staffer on duty being unable to get information outside of the EAS system by trying to use an already overloaded public telephone network to reach the station.

And that proves that EAS is broken? I don't think so.

But my point is that it really never was the case. You can't regulate a profit-making company into losing money. The end result is AMTRAK. Nobody wants that.

If you look at the last 40 years of regulatory history, none of it was about public service. And as long as the voters want less government and lower taxes, this will not change. THAT is the problem. Greedy voters.

I'll agree entirely to your first point, and your second. And like I said, I fault both sides equally in that regard, both pre- and post-consolidation. However, I don't see it as the voters who were being greedy. I don't think the voters really understood -- or, more likely, just didn't pay attention or care enough to ask -- just who they were putting in control of these matters, where that campaign money was coming from, and why Congress caving in to The Big Boys was the last nail in the coffin. Oh, things were already going downhill before that, that just sped up the process and made the outcome inevitable. While the voters should have been more diligent, I don't think greed was on their minds at the time. They just wanted the government off their backs. Everyone does. But when you're dealing with a limited resource like broadcast spectrum, the rules have to protect the public's best interest. They never fully did, but they did a lot better before the mega-owners got their hooks into them. Then it became a free-for-all, and we now see the result before us.

They never fully did, but they did a lot better before the mega-owners got their hooks into them. Then it became a free-for-all, and we now see the result before us.

I hate to point this out to you, but there were much bigger owners in radio before consolidation. They got out of it in the 80s because there was no money in it anymore. And you're not going to re-regulate us back to the 1960s. It's just not going to happen.

You're too focused on blaming radio companies, and you don't see the much bigger picture. Ask yourself this question: Why doesn't Google have an audio platform? Why doesn't Pandora do radio like it was done in the 1970s? Why doesn't Apple hire live DJs for Beats? It's not because of lack of money. Why?

By the way, those cutbacks are affecting everything, not just radio. If you smell gas in your house late at night, and call the gas company, you'll get a recording, not a live operator. It will take an hour to get to the right person, and by then, your house could have exploded.

Methinks you are "exaggerating". All gas and electric utilities and most local town utilities (water) have an emergency response phone number that immediately connects to a live person much as the better known 9-1-1 dispatch. A gas leak or electric line down or water main break is frequently life threatening and must be addressed with the proper priority.

Doctors don't answer their phones at all hours. They have answering services. My doctor's service simply tells you to call 911.

Depends upon the practice type. OB/GYN's and pediatricians have on-duty doctors if they are in a multi-doctor practice. Most messages will tell you to call 911 in an emergency (which does not include pain pills on a Saturday evening).

And cities are cutting back on 911 services. This idea that services are staffed 24/7 is pure mythology. Local governments are consolidating so that police and fire services aren't necessarily local 24/7. Sometimes, your call will roll over to a regional emergency service, and the fire company or policeman could be coming from 50 miles away.

I can understand that this might occur in some very remote rural areas but not in a city of any size. The responder might not be immediately local but the dispatch service should be immediate.

Last edited:
The point of this thread is you really don't know how good your emergency services are until you actually have an emergency.

I can understand that this might occur in some very remote rural areas but not in a city of any size. The responder might not be immediately local but the dispatch service should be immediate.

All over the Southland smaller suburban cities are contracting either with the county or a larger adjacent city to provide essential services.

And example of late is the city of Desert Hot Springs contracting another Palm Springs metro area city for policing services; that is in a metro area than is nearly a half million in size and comparable with Tucson.

All over the Southland smaller suburban cities are contracting either with the county or a larger adjacent city to provide essential services.

And example of late is the city of Desert Hot Springs contracting another Palm Springs metro area city for policing services; that is in a metro area than is nearly a half million in size and comparable with Tucson.

Although it is much smaller than Tucson a local town here in Maricopa County has contracted the MCSO for police services for many decades. This is not a new phenomena.

Although it is much smaller than Tucson a local town here in Maricopa County has contracted the MCSO for police services for many decades. This is not a new phenomena.

And here in Connecticut, where county government was eliminated by the early '80s, some small towns do the same with the state police. "Resident state troopers" are the law in such towns.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom