• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM grant 5/4

Mediafrog+

Walk of Fame Participant
Fundacion Arte Catolico Christiano has been granted 92.5, 23 watts at 61 meters. Transmitter is near the intersection of Wallisville and Oates Roads in northeast Harris County.

This application bounced from 101.5 to 104.5 before settling on 92.5. It will be the third Houston area LPFM on that frequency.

That is really close to KCOL. I wonder if they could file a complaint?

That is really close to KCOL. I wonder if they could file a complaint?

The 92.5 LPFM in Baytown will be even closer to KCOL, but meets minimum separation requirements. Therefore any complaints will be denied. Besides, outside of FM DX geeks, KCOL has virtually no listenership in Houston metro. You can't let FM allotments be dictated by the tiny number of fringe listeners.

The 92.5 LPFM in Baytown will be even closer to KCOL, but meets minimum separation requirements. Therefore any complaints will be denied. Besides, outside of FM DX geeks, KCOL has virtually no listenership in Houston metro. You can't let FM allotments be dictated by the tiny number of fringe listeners.

It doesn't make it to the West side of Houston, Katy, or Cypress - that is for sure. But over on the East side of town, it is in perfect stereo in the car. I can't help but think that all of the disenfranchised oldies listeners over there probably have it on their presets.

I can't help but think that all of the disenfranchised oldies listeners over there probably have it on their presets.

Shine All 9 is still there, and an even better signal on the east side of Houston than KCOL-FM.

Or, Or....jot down the number for Time Life. I just saw a 22 disc oldies set on an infomercial last night, for only 3 low payments of $33.50. Call now!

Shine All 9 is still there, and an even better signal on the east side of Houston than KCOL-FM.

Or, Or....jot down the number for Time Life. I just saw a 22 disc oldies set on an infomercial last night, for only 3 low payments of $33.50. Call now!

I keep forgetting about shine all nine, because on this side of town it is all WACO. When I have heard them, the music is all over the place, format wise, punctuated by a lot of fishing reports and stuff. I don't know if it could be considered a viable "oldies" station for Houston even it they could upgrade. Certainly listenable at times, but at the same level as Cypress radio or that controversial 106.1 "translator".

I actually have a couple of thousand oldies after converting all my vinyl and tape collection to digital. I could program a pretty good oldies station with all that music.

I keep forgetting about shine all nine, because on this side of town it is all WACO. When I have heard them, the music is all over the place, format wise, punctuated by a lot of fishing reports and stuff. I don't know if it could be considered a viable "oldies" station for Houston even it they could upgrade. Certainly listenable at times, but at the same level as Cypress radio or that controversial 106.1 "translator".

I actually have a couple of thousand oldies after converting all my vinyl and tape collection to digital. I could program a pretty good oldies station with all that music.

Ah yes, the mighty WACO 100. Much like KWTX, I hear it consistently in Bellville. Not so much in north Houston. Matter of fact, I get far more appearances from KSAB Robstown over here on the north side. Kind of surprised you don't hear more from it than WACO, given your location.

You're right, the Shiner is a bit all over the place. Full service radio at it's finest. A lot of Adult Contemporary, a dose of Oldies, and lest we forget, Friday night Liberty football on the left channel & Dayton on the right! Well...at least it used to be. I think they put a stop to it a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the mighty WACO 100. Much like KWTX, I hear it consistently in Bellville. Not so much in north Houston. Matter of fact, I get far more appearances from KSAB Robstown over here on the north side. Kind of surprised you don't hear more from it than WACO, given your location.

You're right, the Shiner is a bit all over the place. Full service radio at it's finest. A lot of Adult Contemporary, a dose of Oldies, and lest we forget, Friday night Liberty football on the left channel & Dayton on the right! Well...at least it used to be. I think they put a stop to it a couple years ago.

Wow, that football broadcast must have been "fun" to listen to on a mono FM radio. I would think that would ideal for HD, HD-1 one football game and HD-2 another. Full service radio is fun to listen to sometimes, until they play enough clunkers that you give up. There is a REASON why some songs were never hits, or radio cuts.

Never a trace of KSAB - but now that I know what to listen for, I'll see if it ever makes an appearance. Maybe - I might have heard something in Spanish for a moment along the Grand Parkway, but that could have been scatter from anywhere. Its not a log without an ID or at least indisputable local content like a commercial. I would definitely prefer shine over country or Spanish language any time. But WACO dominates along the length of the Grand Parkway from I-10 to 290. Shine gets through once in a while. Not dependable. Those WACO folks really have a monster up there! I even get it on a portable at my house with just its whip. Move the whip a little sometimes shine.

Quite interesting when you had the audio balance in the middle. It was a mess, let me tell you. Seems like they were reprimanded for it, may have even accrued a small fine along the way, as it's supposedly illegal to transmit that way.

For KSAB, it's really easy to identify, Bruce. I'm the same way, got to have a TOH ID for me to be satisfied enough to log it. Imaging for KSAB is "KSAB Tejano 99.9, Corpus Christi, Tejano and Proud!", TOH is "KSAB, 99.9 FM, Robstown-Corpus Christi". If you're hearing Tejano music, or Spanish language for that matter, you've found KSAB. I find KSAB on the dial in the morning most often. Happy hunting, Bruce.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom