• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fitz in the Morning will apparently be heard on KXLW Anchorage, AK.

I vote you move to Anchorage and find out, then report back.

Aw, come on, Kelly – that's not very nice! :) besides, have you been to Anchorage lately? It looks like any other modern city these days what with Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart and all those other big box stores.

I hear Anchorage now even as a Red Lobster restaurant - something people had wished for (oddly enough, given the seafood up there), but didn't have when I lived there 15 years ago. (I just always found it absurd that to buy smoked salmon at the grocery stores, the only variety for sale was processed in Seattle! People were not allowed to sell homemade smoked fish, apart from what you'd find at the farmers market.)

I always found Anchorage to be a rather boxy-looking, even ugly city, in a lovely setting. Except when the setting sun lit up the windows on all the square buildings - that was impressive. Now that I've lived in Seattle for some time, the joke that Anchorage is actually just a suburb of Seattle really does seem apt. But Anchorage has much better mixed use trails than Seattle - great cycling or cross-country skiing from downtown, all along the waterfront (watch out for moose!). I used to watch the very slow sunset in June at 11:30pm off to the side of Mt Denali in the distance, from a spot on the trail a couple blocks from my apartment, looking over what used to be glassy, beautiful mudflats.

Anchorage had all of 6 or 7 FM stations, and 5 or 6 on AM when I first arrived in 1982. Today, the AMs are about the same in number, but the FMs number, what, 24 or 25 - a heck of a lot of radio stations for a population base of probably no more than 300,000. Which probably explains the desire to simulcast a Seattle show.

I've never been able to hear any of the Alaska 50kw AMs down here, but used to hear KGO San Francisco and KFBK Sacramento, and those two biggies from Tijuana, loud and clear at night up there, all over central Alaska. But nothing much skywaved into the tundra or the Arctic parts of the state.
A few other similarities with Seattle include that their commercial classical station is on the same frequency as KING-FM. And their oldies station on 97.3 was also a sort of twin to the former KBSG from Tacoma. Lots of connections to Seattle, besides getting to know the fund of SeaTac airport at 4am, but once Alaskans decide to move down here, we all seem to disappear in the traffic and the crowds of metro Seattle.
And if there's any other former-Alaska lurkers on this board, who'da thunk Alaska would become the subject of dozens of overblown cable TV "reality" series?? Anchorage does punch a lot above its size, given its importance for such a vast area. Pretty sharp advertising of all types are produced up there, too, thanks in part to lots of oil money to remind us all how much "BP cares."

Aw, come on, Kelly – that's not very nice! :) besides, have you been to Anchorage lately? It looks like any other modern city these days what with Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart and all those other big box stores.

Actually yes, I was in Anchorage this past September. Also Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. Come to think of it maybe you're right, FordRanger797 should move to Fairbanks and try listening for Fitz out of Anchorage :cool:there.

Actually yes, I was in Anchorage this past September. Also Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. Come to think of it maybe you're right, FordRanger797 should move to Fairbanks and try listening for Fitz out of Anchorage :cool:there.

Nah. I'm good RIGHT where I am. Thanks for the offer though.

But seriously, if you've got a problem, i'd love to hear about it. Sorry that some of us are trying to start from the bottom and learn as we go (I know you've already put in your dues and have been in the biz for many years, but hey come on, I am trying my best here). I thought people around this board would be rather interested to know that a notable Seattle personality would be heard on a daily basis on an out-of-state country music station. After all, its something different than the normal crapola ;)

Last edited:
Anchorage had all of 6 or 7 FM stations, and 5 or 6 on AM when I first arrived in 1982. Today, the AMs are about the same in number, but the FMs number, what, 24 or 25 - a heck of a lot of radio stations for a population base of probably no more than 300,000. Which probably explains the desire to simulcast a Seattle show.

It's interesting to see how Anchorage has evolved as a community. Hey, if they are looking for someone to simulcast, Fitz is a pretty darn good entertainer. :)

It's not just Anchorage, and it's not a simulcast. It's essentially a voice-tracked show, available to radio stations across America. I've received the offers from Clear Channel... errr... iHeartless. The solicitation indicates the stations use their own music. Having never heard the gentleman, I can't speak for the appeal of the show, but this is the trend for the leading syndicators.

It's not just Anchorage, and it's not a simulcast. It's essentially a voice-tracked show, available to radio stations across America. I've received the offers from Clear Channel... errr... iHeartless. The solicitation indicates the stations use their own music. Having never heard the gentleman, I can't speak for the appeal of the show, but this is the trend for the leading syndicators.

"Trend?" It's been the norm for a while.

"iHeartless" is funny because people don't like the company and their real name is "iHeartMedia."

Isn't Fitz based at an Entercom station? I think you might have your shows mixed up...

Of course you are correct. It is Entercom, KKWF Seattle. I got my major syndicators confused; they're all doing it. From the mass e-mail:

#1 COUNTRY MORNING SHOW IN SEATTLE (THE WOLF) IS NOW NATIONWIDE!
YOUR MUSIC
LOCAL CONTENT
ANY DAYPART
LISTEN WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE ON BOB 103.9 RIGHT NOW! http://player.radioloyalty.com/station/18263.html?affiliateID=1

And my sincere apologies to iHeartless radio for using their name...

Of course you are correct. It is Entercom, KKWF Seattle. I got my major syndicators confused; they're all doing it. From the mass e-mail:

#1 COUNTRY MORNING SHOW IN SEATTLE (THE WOLF) IS NOW NATIONWIDE!
YOUR MUSIC
LOCAL CONTENT
ANY DAYPART
LISTEN WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE ON BOB 103.9 RIGHT NOW! http://player.radioloyalty.com/station/18263.html?affiliateID=1

And my sincere apologies to iHeartless radio for using their name...

Interestingly, that station is using Fitz in middays...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom