• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Boston metropolitan area AM-FM-HD radio stations carry NBC news anytime?...

NBC News for radio stations stopped at the end of last year. Some previous NBC News affiliates, such as 1220 WWSF Sanford ME, now carry Westwood One news on the hour, since Westwood One had been distributing NBC News. If you listen, Westwood One newscasts are never identify on the air. The anchor simply says his name.

Before the brief (less than a yr) LMA of 1510 WUFC/WMEX to Wallis, they were running a mix of NBC Sports and Yahoo Sports radio and I believe there were some NBC newscasts as part of it. As Gregg says NBC News stopped...btw I think WEEI 93.7 was running some NBC sports radio overnight as the AM 850 was doing ESPN. Looks like they still are acc to the WEEI
site:
>>1:00AM 5:30AM NBC Sports Radio

I don't get it. WHY has NBC Radio News disappeared? And why did CNN News disappear 10+ years ago. One would think that every broadcast TV network and every cable TV network would want a radio service with their brand name on it. Or are "networks" nowadays just nothing more than spot distribution schemes? With it being easier than ever beofre to distribute a network newscast by internet/podcasts, one would think that every entity out there would want to do it. Hell, if I were 20 years younger, I'd set up a radio news network and have 4 minutes of real news, no fluff.

I don't get it. WHY has NBC Radio News disappeared? And why did CNN News disappear 10+ years ago.

The marketplace for this kind of service has really dried up. First of all, it's only real market is AM radio, which is mostly in the toilet. Then, any station that has ratings is running CBS. The conservative talk stations want Fox or Salem. That doesn't leave much for anyone else. Syndicating a brand like NBC or CNN costs a lot of money. The return on that expense isn't there given the AM radio marketplace. Westwood One cut a deal to use CNN audio for their unbranded service. When Cumulus ended its relationship with ABC last year, Disney decided to syndicate the news service itself. So right now, you have five national news services competing for affiliates and audience: CBS, ABC, Fox, Salem, and Westwood One. There aren't enough AM stations with audience to make a sixth one profitable.

So right now, you have five national news services competing for affiliates and audience: CBS, ABC, Fox, Salem, and Westwood One. There aren't enough AM stations with audience to make a sixth one profitable.

Don't forget AP. They still offer a top of hour newscast.

Don't know how profitable or how many affiliates it has on terrestrial radio (supposedly it does news carried on XM/Sirius The Patriot), but there's The Blaze Radio news which WMEX
carries, maybe as part of carrying Glenn Beck's show. (Blaze radio's talk hosts include Jay Severin). Probably not considered major though.

"Remember me?"
onedemand-jay-severin.png

Last edited:
Don't know how profitable or how many affiliates it has on terrestrial radio (supposedly it does news carried on XM/Sirius The Patriot), but there's The Blaze Radio news which WMEX
carries, maybe as part of carrying Glenn Beck's show. (Blaze radio's talk hosts include Jay Severin). Probably not considered major though.

It's also "news" with an agenda. If I were running a station, AP would be my go-to national/world news source.

It's also "news" with an agenda. If I were running a station,

Or, rather, news with a perspective.

If I were running a station AP would be my go-to national/world news source

AP news is not what it once was. It is no longer the source for unbiased well written reporting.

Oh, and btw...most of the news networks run free...as long as you agree to run the spots.

AP charges cash....so when running a station, the outlay may not be worth running your "go to" news source.

Should say acc with a period meaning "according".Also don't forget there is another
national news network though non-comm.
with hundreds of affiliates: NPR...but mostly on FM of course.

Last edited:
Oh, and btw...most of the news networks run free...as long as you agree to run the spots.

Which can be extremely expensive if your station is doing well. Imagine you're a GM at a successful music station running 10 minutes an hour of spots. Would you give up 1 minute an hour around the clock?

There are now SPOTS in AP network news?

It used to be available on a barter basis through Jones Radio Networks. As Jones has changed into Dial Global and now Westwood One, I don't know if it's still available or from who.

Which can be extremely expensive if your station is doing well. Imagine you're a GM at a successful music station running 10 minutes an hour of spots. Would you give up 1 minute an hour around the clock?

You can get the one-minute hourly Fox update (plus access to the affiliate website for stories, actualities, etc) for only four minutes a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom