• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSUN-FM (97X) vs W262CP (Alt 100.3)

Robctas

New Participating Member
Just looking at the numbers for 97X, in the last 4 surveys they've been 2.9 / 2.7 / 2.4 / 2.1

Is this a result of Alt 100.3 eating into their audience & why isn't Alt included in the ratings?

Also, with the recent trend of translators going on-air around the country, why aren't these included as are some HD2 stations?

ALT 100.3 isn't getting any ratings because no one with a meter is within their signal range or listening to them online. ...and no one with a meter is listening to 103.5 HD2 either. They're simply not gonna make an impact on a small translator in North Tampa Bay. The only reason WMTX-HD2 gets anything is because they're retransmitting on three signals covering the Bay. As far as the 97X ratings erosion, blame 98Rock and the new Bubba 98.7.

Doubtful that Bubba 98.7 or 98Rock have a huge effect on 97X's core demo (but we are talking 12+ here, so maybe a little on the 30+ end). As for ALT 100.3, unless they take the multi-translator route and blanket the metro, they will continue to elicit nary a blip in the PPM's. In the unlikely event ALT 100.3 became the only Alternative in town, you might see them show in the PPM's, but with a tiny North Pinellas signal and a well established live and local competitor, not so much. IHeart did actually manage to sell sponsorship on Alt to Gold And Diamond Source, so at least it paid the power bill.

As for the 103.5 HD2 side....there might even be less listeners. Though interestingly, 103.5's HD2 signal actually has better range than WSUN's analog signal.

Speaking of HD, WSUN should really just turn off the HD on 97.1, as the blending that occurs between HD and analog is very frequent (and annoying) in the metro if you have an HD receiver in your car. If HD is a priority, they'd be better off using a subchannel of 102.5 or 101.5.

I used to think the same thing about the HD blending on 97.1. I personally like the HD2 and hated that it always would cut in and out. However, about 6-7 months ago, it seems they've increased the power on the HD signal. I get it pretty consistently now in St. Pete where before I did not.

I know that a number of companies won't subscribe their new translators for some time. I think it has to do with clusters subscribing everything at once. It took iHeart about 6 months for a translator here in Cleveland to show and there's a Nashville translator that launched in August and still isn't showing. It seems iHeart stations are slower at this than other companies.

Doubtful that Bubba 98.7 or 98Rock have a huge effect on 97X's core demo...

WBRN has been eating into The Bone's demos a good deal, so I'm sure they're satisfied with that.

I'm not familiar with the Tampa area that much but I always found it how crazy different radios handle 97x differently in Brandon. Most of them that signal is not drivable at all for the most part. I'm more familiar with the Orlando area.

I have noticed that Alt 100.3 HD2 is not on the air. Is there another frequency for it. It it still advertised on the bumpers on 100.3 regular FM...Am I the only one who cares?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom