• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tom Kent 24/7

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
I was in the car when my usual station went to news and I remembered there was a new station I wanted to try out. I realized I no longer needed one of my buttons and I remembered I would need a button for yet another station. I only had one available button for three choices but one station is right next to another. This reminded me that one area oldies station, according to Wikipedia, had switched from Kool to Tom Kent.

And this may have been my first time sampling this. "Start Me Up", "Night Fever" and "Upside Down". And I switched back to my station.

Last night it happened again. I was late going home. I heard "Higher Love" (that one sounds very contemporary to me). Another song started up and I thought I knew it but now I don't remember. It sounded pretty old, Maybe the 70s. But before I heard enough of it, I had to switch back so i would be on the right station tomorrow.

But no 60s in either of these samples.

There's an FM in Ashtabula, OH that runs Tom Kent 24/7 (Magic 102.5). I have heard some, (not many), 60's songs. Seems the focus is late 70's/early 80's which is typical of classic hits these days.

"PYT" and "Walk This Way".

I simply have to sample this more often. Just out of curiosity.

My station was playing "And I Love Her So" once the news ended.

And this may have been my first time sampling this. "Start Me Up", "Night Fever" and "Upside Down". And I switched back to my station.

First time sampling those songs or the Tom Kent show. Those are huge hit songs from 35-37 years ago. You should know those.

Yesterday my station was about to switch to a baseball game, and although the music had been good up to that point, I decided to sample the Tom Kent station and another station I knew I would like.

"Saturday in the Park", "We Belong", "The Power of Love" (Huey Lewis) and "Peaceful Easy Feeling".

I liked Kent's music mix when WDRC-FM Hartford carried him nights for a year or so -- good blend of oldies/classic hits, including some that weren't on the station's regular playlist.

I was hoping to have more since my usual station had a baseball game and the country station I had enjoyed all day was no longer clear. But there was a baseball game.

Between my station going off the air (and the co-owned station was off too, though I didn't see anything in the online version of the area's newspaper about a power outage or anything) and a ball game after it came back, I had several opportunities to sample this. I don't remember all of the songs I heard but ...

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" (first song I've heard there from the 60s)
"Owner of a Lonely Heart"
"My Sweet Lord"

The signal was so bad I'm not sure, but I think I heard "Love Shack". My air conditioning was not on. Why is there so much interference even after I turn it off?

Another ball game, so here goes:

"Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"
"Lonely Boy" (Andrew Gold)
"Lido Shuffle"
"Bennie and the Jets"
"Jackie Blue"

Also, on an earlier date I heard "Where Did Our Love Go?" by Soft Cell, which I think is actually part of the long version of "Tainted Love".

This format is heavy on the 70s.

I tend to forget Elton John was a rocker because my usual station plays so many soft songs he did. Though I think "Bennie" has been played on the local morning show, and it's not really one of his harder rock songs.

Another ball game. One song I didn't recognize, which had not happened. Another song I recognized but couldn't remember the name of and interference was too much for me to hear lyrics.

"Sweet Dreams"--Annie Lennox, not Patsy Cline--and "Love Train".

Another ball game!

"I Want You to Want Me", "Lyin' Eyes", "Peg". I think there were others I heard but I don't remember them right now.

"Hey there lonely girl." Lyrics, not necessarily the title. Now that's oldies.

I never thought that Cheap Trick song would be an oldie. And yet the term seems to refer to what was popular when you were in college. I was a Freshman.

"Hey there lonely girl." Lyrics, not necessarily the title. Now that's oldies.

I never thought that Cheap Trick song would be an oldie. And yet the term seems to refer to what was popular when you were in college. I was a Freshman.

The Cheap Trick song was in regular rotation at WDRC-FM before its flip from pop-oriented classic hits to rock-oriented classic hits. And the title of the other song is correct: "Hey There, Lonely Girl," by Eddie Holman.

News, so I tried again.

"My 70s Show". I don't know when that's on but that's what the voice said.

"Heart of Glass" and another song with lyrics about summer that I didn't know.

Another song that should have been on that long list: "Come And Get Your Love". I know it mostly from a commercial, though I'm sure that's true about a lot of songs in this format.

Part of the crusade to end boring radio.

"Double Vision".

Sorry, that's all, because the interference was really bad. Which was a good thing even during that song.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom