• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The continuing saga of non-existant audio on WILD

U

Unregistered

Today, for the first time in a good while, I checked out 1090 AM/WILD. No change from the status quo, which, in this case means the continuation of barely audible audio.

I find it unbelievable that this situation continues to exist. Doesn't the Chinese-based lessee of Radio One's property care that they are reaching absolutely no one with their programming?

The FCC should step in and force the licensee to correct whatever their problem or shut the station down…it's absurd!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get over yourself. As long as they're signing on and signing off at the proper time, mention WILD Boston once an hour as close to the top of the hours as possible, not airing any of the 7 dirty words, and operating at the power level they're licensed for they're not violating any FCC regulations. The FCC DOES NOT get involved with programming issues.

Ironically I heard a webstream of WILD and there is no problem with the audio on it.

they don't get involved in programming, but they DO get involved in the technical side, including over or under modulation.

73.1570 Modulation levels: AM, FM, TV and Class A TV aural.
(a) The percentage of modulation is to be maintained at as high a level as is consistent with good quality of transmission and good broadcast service, with maximum levels not to exceed the values specified in paragraph (b). Generally, the modulation should not be less than 85% on peaks of frequent recurrence, but where lower modulation levels may be required to avoid objectionable loudness or to maintain the dynamic range of the program material, the degree of modulation may be reduced to whatever level is necessary for this purpose, even though under such circumstances, the level may be substantially less than that which produces peaks of frequent recurrence at a level of 85%.
(b) Maximum modulation levels must meet the following limitations:
(1) AM stations. In no case shall the amplitude modulation of the carrier wave exceed 100% on negative peaks of frequent recurrence, or 125% on positive peaks at any time.
(i) AM stations transmitting stereophonic programs not exceed the AM maximum stereophonic transmission signal modulation specifications of stereophonic system in use.
(ii) For AM stations transmitting telemetry signals for remote control or automatic transmission system operation, the amplitude of modulation of the carrier by the use of subaudible tones must not be higher than necessary to effect reliable and accurate data transmission and may not, in any case, exceed 6%.

Last edited:
Maybe they're feeding a stereo board into a mono airchain or transmitter out of phase and it's canceling out.

If that's the case, their stereo board (program) meter levels could look fine, but if they're not paying attention to a final mono on-air modulation meter (or even listening to the station, of course) they wouldn't know.

Also, if that's the case, their internet stream may be stereo, and therefore not subject to the cancelation that occurs when an out of phase source is mixed to mono.

That's a Shoutcast stream and it's fully modulated! I'm listening right now to assurances that Chinese medicine manufacturers are socially responsible, sustainable, non-exploitative. Just good solid journalism.

WOW! They Can Actually Be Heard Now!

I donʼt know if it was the complaining on this board or what—maybe someone from Radio One lurks here? :cool:—but for the last week or so, one can actually HEAR SOUND on 10-90! :D

Last edited:
I donʼt know if it was the complaining on this board or what—maybe someone from Radio One lurks here?

Maybe someone from the inner circles of the Chinese government is the lurker, and the bureaucrat responsible for making sure the audio level on all propaganda outlets, domestic and abroad, is satisfactory has been sent to a "re-education" camp.

Maybe someone from the inner circles of the Chinese government is the lurker, and the bureaucrat responsible for making sure the audio level on all propaganda outlets, domestic and abroad, is satisfactory has been sent to a "re-education" camp.

I think it's more likely that someone here made a recording of WILD, and two other stations for comparison, and emailed them to CRI along with the information that the level disparity has continued for months.

OTOH, that person never got a reply to his email, so it may be a coincidence.

Well, I just heard WILD's top-of-hour news and traffic report, and the levels are all over the place. Moreover, the local guys don't seem to know how to address a microphone properly. I've heard college students sound better.

I think it's more likely that someone here made a recording of WILD, and two other stations for comparison, and emailed them to CRI along with the information that the level disparity has continued for months.

OTOH, that person never got a reply to his email, so it may be a coincidence.

The reception report that I, as a 13-year-old, sent to what was then Radio Peking in 1968 was promptly answered with a QSL card, five brochures from the Ministry of Tourism, a half-dozen issues of Peking Review (an official English-language newspaper) and a copy of Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-tung. And, I suspect, a still-active file in some cabinet at the FBI.

I did as well....

First I made sure it was an active mailbox by asking: "Is this the right address?".

After getting a response, I sent an audio file with comparisons to other stations and a geo-location and a coverage map.

No response...so I followed up: "Did you get my message?".

And another one: "Just wondering if you received my first message below."

You know how government works....they didn't want to hear bad news...or were waiting for someone to accurately translate my message. ;-)

The reception report that I, as a 13-year-old, sent to what was then Radio Peking in 1968 was promptly answered with a QSL card,

I suspect, a still-active file in some cabinet at the FBI.

More likely the NSA or CIA. ;-)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom