• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NPR Music Programming

Many NPR shows have extended segments devoted to high
quality music content. In depth interviews with Blues and Rock artists are
often spotlighted. Local blues programming also continues as a niche.

Commercial Rock Radio is worthless. Perhaps the atrocious content on
Commercial stations is one reason why their stock prices are junk.
It's curious that McDonald's is also struggling.

Maybe quality does still count for something...

Last edited:
If it counts for something, then you should contribute money to NPR. That's why they do it.

I tuned in this morning from 7:17-7:20, and the WBFO panhandlers were on the air. I see on their website, if you "donate" $300, you get yourself an HD radio.

Their goal is 90,000 bucks over 4 days, I think is what they said.

I wonder where my thank you gift is? I paid my taxes in April.

Oh, and there was a commercial immediately before this.

Your thank you gift is you get to live in a free country.

I meant my thank you gift from NPR, WBFO, PBS, etc..for my tax dollars that went to their CEOs, and to their stations for playing shows that I don't care for.

If it were a free country, well, their listeners would have some extra work to do. Or their advertisers could pick up the slack.

Feh. This meme again. Of their total funding, NPR stations receive about 5% from the gubmint. The remainder comes from grants, endowments... from the estate of Joan B. Kroc and listeners like you. Read something here http://www.npr.org/ and learn a few things you wouldn't normally pick up by listening to news radio 9-30 W-G-O-P

I meant my thank you gift from NPR, WBFO, PBS, etc..for my tax dollars that went to their CEOs, and to their stations for playing shows that I don't care for.

If it were a free country, well, their listeners would have some extra work to do. Or their advertisers could pick up the slack.

In these forums we have hammered this topic over and over and over many times. What percentage of the budget of a local NPR station is TAX MONEY? Give us a number. Show us the audit trail. I don't know if I can go back and find my previous research or not. I just remember that it was down in the low single digits.

I can't speak for the stations in Buffalo, but some stations in other parts of the country that I do follow seem to be "doing their work" and their listeners "are doing THEIR work".

Public radio could survive without the government money. It is my personal opinion that they want to keep just a tiny, tiny smidgen of their income from public funds because it gives them a great crutch when corporate America begins hammering the stations to do this and to do that... and the stations simply can shrug their shoulders and say: "Well, because of government funding we are not allowed to do the grungy thing you are trying to dictate that we do for you."

None of your tax money goes to their CEOs, and your tax money goes to lots of things you don't like or use. Do a little research. You'll be amazed.

Public radio could survive without the government money. It is my personal opinion that they want to keep just a tiny, tiny smidgen of their income from public funds because it gives them a great crutch when corporate America begins hammering the stations to do this and to do that... and the stations simply can shrug their shoulders and say: "Well, because of government funding we are not allowed to do the grungy thing you are trying to dictate that we do for you."

There's some of that. If you've ever received government money, it comes with attachments. You have to do certain things with it, and it can't be used for certain things. So non-commercial broadcasting is educational in nature. There's lots of government money for education. There's lots of government money for training people for jobs. There's lots of government money for information that helps people. Anyone can apply for this money. But these radio stations qualify for it, and they get it. The Congress could eliminate all of it if they wanted to, but they don't because it's money for their districts. No one wants to cut money for their voters. So it keeps getting approved. If WBFO didn't get the money, it would go to another state or another program. It wouldn't be returned to the taxpayers.

These boards are filled with people complaining about corporate radio. WBFO is locally owned and operated. It's an alternative to corporate radio. And people complain about that too.

Last edited:
Feh. This meme again. Of their total funding, NPR stations receive about 5% from the gubmint.

I don't care. That's irrelevant. If they receive one cent or a million dollars, the concept is the same. And that's the beginning and end of story.

I don't care. That's irrelevant. If they receive one cent or a million dollars, the concept is the same. And that's the beginning and end of story.

I didn't like that a trillion dollars of US money went to Iraq. It doesn't matter what you or I personally think. If the government decides it's going to fund something, it gets done.

These boards are filled with people complaining about corporate radio. WBFO is locally owned and operated. It's an alternative to corporate radio. And people complain about that too.

I personally don't care if it's corporate owned or locally owned. What I don't like is the government deciding the one station that my money should be going to.

WJJL is locally owned and operated, and I don't see a government bailout with my money going to them.

If they were, well, this would be a different story.

I didn't like that a trillion dollars of US money went to Iraq. It doesn't matter what you or I personally think. If the government decides it's going to fund something, it gets done.

Sure, if it has a liberal bias.

What I don't like is the government deciding the one station that my money should be going to.

They make a lot of decisions you don't like. Grow up. You don't get to vote on how the government spends your money. They just do it.

Every time this comes up, I point out that the government buys millions of dollars in advertising on commercial radio stations and commercial networks. Any time you hear or see a spot about seat belts, drunk driving, or texting, that's a paid spot, not a PSA.

Sure, if it has a liberal bias.

The spending gets decided by Congress. Who's running Congress? The liberals? Grow up.

Any time you hear or see a spot about seat belts, drunk driving, or texting, that's a paid spot, not a PSA.

I don't know what a "PSA" is. But those aren't as bad as hearing the woman with the hole in her throat after smoking for 50 years.

I'm sure my gift is in the mail.

How about the tax subsidies which we all give to the oil companies? Shouldn't we be outraged about those?

How about the tax subsidies which we all give to the oil companies? Shouldn't we be outraged about those?

Tobacco farmers too. Interest free loans to car companies. It all about Congress sending money to their home districts. That's why they do it.

And huge American companies which make billions in profits but use loopholes in our tax laws so that they pay no taxes.
It's called "corporate welfare" for a reason.

I don't get the prevailing sentiment that oil companies get enormous favorable tax credits.

I looked at the top "hits" on a Google search for "petroleum industry tax breaks" and found the most mentioned to be things like:

1. "Write offs for costs of drilling new wells"

Any business expense is a "write off". Businesses pay taxes on the difference between expenses and income. Postage, salaries, health insurance, employer's share of Social security, insurance, travel and tons of other things are expenses. The cost of developing new wells is an expense, too. Just like the cost of developing a new iPad is an expense for Apple and deductible.... totally.

2. "Depletion Allowances". This allows the value of the assets an oil company has to be depreciated as a tax deductible expense in accordance with remaining reserves. This is no different than Ford depreciating the value of production line equipment as it wears out.

Certainly the way depletion allowances are calculated should be reviewed in light of current recovery techniques and such, but it does not seem to me that asset depreciation should not be considered an expense.

I don't know what a "PSA" is. But those aren't as bad as hearing the woman with the hole in her throat after smoking for 50 years.

PSA is Public Service Announcement. A free add for the benefit of the community.

The smoking ads are paid for by the State of California.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom