• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations that air "CBS World News Roundup"

The "CBS World News Roundup" is radio's longest lived news show, having started back in 1938. But in an article about the show, it notes
The network's 500 affiliates can choose to take the 10-minute Roundup or the truncated CBS News on the Hour. Only 20% (about 100 stations) choose the Roundup. Even when they do, most break away before it's over. Until early this year, WBBM in Chicago was the last big city holdout to broadcast the Roundup in its entirety. Then, it joined WCBS, New York; KNX, Los Angeles; KCBS, San Francisco and WCCO, Minneapolis, in pulling the plug at the 8-minute mark to return to local announcers.
So does your local CBS affiliate still air the show? The full 10 minutes, the 8-minute mark, or even less?

I listen to the roundup on my Roku -- no actual CBS radio affiliate on a listenable signal.

KDAL-AM in Duluth, MN carries the full 10-minute morning edition, but clips off the evening edition (formerly The World Tonight) at the 4-minute mark to go to syndie talk.

I believe CBS's own WCCO-AM in Minneapolis now clips both the morning and evening roundups off at 4 minutes.

Funny TRUE story...Last year as usual KDAL was playing holiday music all Christmas day and the engineer played the full 10-minute evening show. I was impressed and called the control room to thank him; he told me he never knew the roundup was even supposed to run 10 minutes, as his instructions were to switch out after the first commercial, do the weather break, then over to Dennis Miller!)

WCBS Newsradio 880 pulls out at the first break.
It's not aired in Philly at all.

It really is a waste. Most days, there is hardly any "world news." It's the same stories that air on the regular TOH newscast. And the stories are no longer than those on the TOH news. There's no point to it any more. Since stations are pulling out, it amounts to a regular newscast plus a lot of throw-away material to fill out the time. Besides, anybody who wants longer-form news or world news is going to be listening to Morning Edition. CBS knows it. They might as well just pull the plug.

The CBS All-News stations have to run shorter versions due to the need to get to Traffic & Weather Together at a certain time. Same for the CBS Evening News with Scott Pele. If you promise traffic and weather on the eights, you gotta deliver (even though WCBS may wait till 6:39 or 6:40 in reality).

But often stations in smaller markets run the entire World News Roundup because they need material if they're doing a news-talk morning show on a budget. I believe WASR Wolfeboro NH runs it all.

Original poster says stations have a choice of running the World News Roundup or the regular TOH news. I'd like somebody to confirm that. Yes, CBS does produce a regular TOH newscast at 8am Eastern - for stations in other time zones but at 8am stations are obliged to take the World News Roundup.

Many large and major market stations don't take TOH newscasts at all - or WNR. Most that do take TOH newscasts bail out at three minutes and run the spots later. And bail out of WNR (no network spots) at the first break. Clearly, there is little affiliate interest in an expanded - or padded - WNR. And nobody, except radio geeks, has any interest in the history of the program - which is largely misrepresented by CBS' PR department. For the record, WNR was preceeded by more than a year by the CBC's National News Headlines (now called "The National") presented by "The Voice of Doom," aka Ben Cartwright, aka Commander Adama. Broadcasting history is footprints in sand. People are entering the money demos who never heard of Johnny Carson. People are well into the money demos who never heard of Walter Cronkite. History doesn't generate ad revenue.

1150 AM / 101.7 FM WDEL Wilmington DE airs the CBS World News Roundup, but cut away at the 8 minute mark [traffic/weather together on the 9's]. They also do carry the Scott Pelly CBS Evening News at 6:30pm and continue to air traffic/weather, but I believe they use the spot breaks as I've not noticed any stories being cut off abruptly to air traffic/weather.

The WNR is a throwback to a time when national radio news was VERY important. That hasn't happened since probably the 1990s. Even in the early 2000s CBS had Dan Rather do a TOH news at like 5 or 6 o'clock. Paul Harvey was the last guy who was a radio news star. Millions of people knew his voice. You have Doug Limerick on ABC still, and Christopher Glenn was very recognizable on CBS, but those are the only ones. Most of the other news readers are interchangeable.

ABC and CBS have also lost a lot of affiliates since Cumulus started their news network and Fox News basically takes all the iHeart Media talk stations (most of the major stations).

Here's what you might all be missing:

The "CBS World News Roundup" now also doubles as a podcast. It's actually a very popular podcast. I don't have numbers to share, but I'm told it's one of the most popular digital products offered by CBS News (Radio, or TV... audio or video).

I couldn't tell you to what kinds of revenue this translates, only that all of the major networks understand that as the generation switchover continues, more and more people are opting for downloadable content they can listen to, watch or read on their own schedule. The "Roundup" is hitting that mark already.

Going forward, could it be dropped from the affiliate offerings and exist only digitally? I guess. But why? If you're producing it anyway, might as well make it available as a podcast and an affiliate product. If the radio stations dump out at :04 or :08 after, so what?

Here's what you might all be missing:

The "CBS World News Roundup" now also doubles as a podcast. It's actually a very popular podcast. I don't have numbers to share, but I'm told it's one of the most popular digital products offered by CBS News (Radio, or TV... audio or video).

I couldn't tell you to what kinds of revenue this translates, only that all of the major networks understand that as the generation switchover continues, more and more people are opting for downloadable content they can listen to, watch or read on their own schedule. The "Roundup" is hitting that mark already.

Going forward, could it be dropped from the affiliate offerings and exist only digitally? I guess. But why? If you're producing it anyway, might as well make it available as a podcast and an affiliate product. If the radio stations dump out at :04 or :08 after, so what?

Here is one way to hear the CBS Radio News programming online: http://player.radio.com/listen/station/cbs-radio-news

So, the World News Roundup morphs into a podcast because of lack of station interest. Unless CBS starts putting paid spots in the podcast, it won't last long.

Besides, for the serious news consumer, there's no way a padded version of a TOH newscast, top heavy with cut-aways and fillers, can compete with Morning Edition.

Probably the last great radio network newscast, and I'd hate to see it go away.

It hasn't been great for a long time. Arguably, Paul Harvey News and Comment was the last great radio network newscast, that is commercial network newscast. All Things Considered is still going strong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom