• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PLJ's 'blown off'

Shredder

Leading Participant
I boycotted PLJ last year, but since I found out that this might be the hacks last year on the radio, I decided to check it out every n ow and then just to see how bad it can get.

and then came 'blown off'.... does anyone actually buy that these are real? There was one that was so bad, they didn't even TRY to make it sound convincing.
Apparently this is a national radio bit, just like two strangers and a wedding was, that PLJ seems to have picked up. i'd be curious if you hear the same actors on the phone at the other radio stations playing different 'characters'...

and the fact that listeners buy this stuff.....then again, they fooled me with phone scams for about 15 years...... ;o)

I don't know what a "blown off" is but Todd's phone scams are just that, scams with fake phone calls. They are presented as real calls when they aren't. There should be a disclaimer that the participants are acting.

Phil Hendrie had fake phone "guests" on his show for years.
He was the voice of his call-in guests. It was a one man show.

I don't know what a "blown off" is but Todd's phone scams are just that, scams with fake phone calls. They are presented as real calls when they aren't. There should be a disclaimer that the participants are acting.

Yeah. And all scripted TV shows, whether sitcoms or drama, should have a notice saying "The following show is fiction. The characters portrayed are actors following a script" in case anyone thinks that they are reality shows or real life.

Yeah. And all scripted TV shows, whether sitcoms or drama, should have a notice saying "The following show is fiction. The characters portrayed are actors following a script" in case anyone thinks that they are reality shows or real life.

It seems like you have a reading comprehension problem. I wrote that the phone scams are presented as real calls. Sitcoms are not. Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Here In Philly I caught the morning show on WPST in Trenton do an obvious fake phone scam. The guy on the show calls up a woman and says her husband bought her a Gym membership at the local gym complete with personal training sessions. The woman argues she doesn't need them but her husband does. She overacts.. really.. and gets too upset about it.. After much bad acting. The guys tells her shes on the radio with him. And she immediately laughs and is not upset anymore. DID YOU GUYS IN NYC HEAR THAT ONE YET?

You know that the call is fake if the person on the other end of the line sounds surprised.
Before a station can record a call or put a live call on the air, they must ask permission from the person on the other end of the line.

Even the reality shows on TV are pretty heavily produced. They may revolve around real people, but a lot of what they do is pretty much planned in advance.

I guess we can all agree that "Blown Off," well, blows!

I fell for a phone scam like this once. Some guy was having an affair with his wife unbeknownst to the radio host. And they told him he won flowers to give to someone on Valentines day.. His wife was listening the whole time. He gave the name of another woman he wanted to send them to and the wife yelled at him and hung up. I think I heard this on Preston and Steve on WMMR. Later on I heard you tube clip of Opie and Anthony talking about these fake phone scams and that one was on there. I was surprised P And S ran a fake scam. I guess anyone can fall for it.

Anyone that is fooled into thinking Todd's phone scams are real deserves to be deceived. Or any of these morning zoo hacks for that matter.

What does it say about the character of the radio host? When listeners hear this same phone scam on other stations they realize they were duped by a show they liked. It's dishonest and I believe listeners deserve honesty. I was never involved with phone scams on radio. I don't understand why hosts still want to lean on phone scams for entertainment as very few were ever funny.

What does it say about the character of the radio host? When listeners hear this same phone scam on other stations they realize they were duped by a show they liked. It's dishonest and I believe listeners deserve honesty. I was never involved with phone scams on radio. I don't understand why hosts still want to lean on phone scams for entertainment as very few were ever funny.

yep, I agree. my sister was listening to Z 100 once 8 years ago and one of their 'phone taps' came on. that was so un funny I can't beleive it even went on the air.

And hey, we are all young and gullable at one point in our lives. I grew up with Todd phone scams, so you have an inclination to trust the host and that they are real. I always figured that they got permission after the scam was done, as they claimed they had to call back the person that set the scammee up and bribe them with concert tickets or something.

oh well... maybe an insider will go on opie and jim and give us the scoop on how those things where really done. they had so many different people on those scams, they'd have to be expensive if they hired 300 different actors at a time to do them.

I know this thread is from two years old, I found it when searching on WPLG's Blown Off looking to see if there were any discussions about it. I did not expect to see the show disparaged and called fake by people that really have no idea whether it is or not, and was honestly rather surprised to see some people think it's all about actors and scripting.

I've been listening to the archived segments for about a month now, and all I can say is that "you can't make this stuff up" and people really ARE that clueless and stupid. Yes, when I listen to a segment that seems over the top I do briefly consider that a few may be staged and thrown in for good measure, but I generally feel that these are real people who are just so messed up they have no clue that their actions are seen in a negative way by others because they're so wrapped up in themselves they think their own little world is "normal" whereas many or most people will see it as very strange.

I encourage others who may come across this revived thread to join and post their comments about Blown Off, there doesn't seem to be anything else out there about it.

I will also add that I am soooo glad that I'm in a committed exclusive relationship, having dealt with the online dating scene for many years and finding myself in situations that were similar to many of the segments I've listened to. I'm happy to say that out of dozens of first dates there were only about 2 where the woman wasn't interested in a second date and I didn't care enough to call a radio show to find out why. If someone isn't interested, there's plenty more out there. Unless of course NOBODY is interested in which case you probably need some answers.

Well, that explains it: Trump is really a fake president and it's all just a Phil Hendrie bit! :) I feel much better now.

Well, that explains it: Trump is really a fake president and it's all just a Phil Hendrie bit! :) I feel much better now.

This thread harkens me back to Phil Henrie on KFI. The heartiest laughs I ever had listening to the radio were listening to Phil back then. When you knew the "guest" caller was actually Phil, and then an outraged listener called in, it was priceless. Great Talk Radio.

Old thread, but WTH... It's all theater. It's entertainment. You like it, you like it. You don't, press scan. Half the "content" (as it's called these days) that goes down in the world of entertainment isn't real, but still, so many of us buy in. That's why it's called show business.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom